• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte vs Frances

Avega

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan (april 2017)
Hello Everyone, I'm having a hard time chosing between both routes. I read advices going in different directions. I'm a woman traveling by myself (not my first time) and I'm also in good shape for a more challenging hike.

Most people say that the North route is more quiet. Is it pretty lonely? Is Frances busy as in annoying? what are the main differences? pros/cons? what is your suggestion for my first time walking El Camino?
Sorry if this question comes up a lot, please point me in the right direction... I appreciate it! THank you in advance!!!

Saludos,

Andrea

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Everyone, I'm having a hard time chosing between both routes. I read advices going in different directions. I'm a woman traveling by myself (not my first time) and I'm also in good shape for a more challenging hike.

Most people say that the North route is more quiet. Is it pretty lonely? Is Frances busy as in annoying? what are the main differences? pros/cons? what is your suggestion for my first time walking El Camino?
Sorry if this question comes up a lot, please point me in the right direction... I appreciate it! THank you in advance!!!

Saludos,

Andrea

Hi Andrea, welcome to the forum! I would always recommend the Camino Francés for a first camino. If you find it so busy, as in annoying, then just bus or train to the Norte and continue from there. I met a peregrina in Ribadeo, on the Norte, in October, who had done just that.
Jill

Hi Andrea, welcome to the forum!
There will be a very long list of pros and cons for each, and no doubt everyone who replies to this thread will have their own opinions. To simplify, I'd sum up the Norte as more of a "nature" experience, and the Frances as more of a "culture" experience.
Norte: beaches, rural landscapes, mountains... you will have to pass through a couple of touristy coastal towns and port areas along the way, but I personally loved being so close to the sea for a month. And you won't be lonely! I find on the Norte you are more likely to stick with the same group, as you don't have new 'waves' of pilgrims arriving at hotspots and there are fewer albergues in each town so you tend to see the same people every evening.
Frances: medieval architecture, churches, whole towns built around the camino trade, lots of fellow pilgrims and camaraderie, a sense that you're part of a very old pilgrimage tradition... however there are lots of tourigrinos, and people in general - a very sociable camino, which is, I think, the main reason some love and others hate it.
As I said, that's a real simplification! I'm sure whatever you choose you'll have an amazing time! :)

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Two of us did a section of the Norte beginning of April and it was very quiet, some hostels closed, and so opposite to a section of the Frances we did in August, busy, full of activity etc. I'm not sure I'd 'tackle' the Norte in April as a lone female? I think the Frances might be a better choice. Don't get me wrong, the scenery is amazing and the weather wasn't bad either. I'd go back just for the pynxtos ... and glass(es) of vino! See, ... you've got me remembering lovely stuff now! Let's just say, the later you go, the more chance you have of meeting more pilgrims. So, you just need to decide what kind of Camino you want ... and whatever you choose ... you will enjoy it. The Camino doesn't disappoint!

Saludos,

Andrea

Andrea:

The time of year you plan on walking will make a difference. When are you walking?

Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Saludos,

Andrea
Hi Andrea, I had to choose between the Northe and the Aragones /France and the Invierno .
When I got my trainticket I decited to walk the Camino del Northe.
At the end you and you alone have to make the decission.

Wish you well,Peter.

April? Then the Frances. It will be quiet enough and so pretty with new growth in the fields. The Norte will still not have many of its albergues open. Had you said September, then Norte all the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Which Camino really calls to you? For me it has never been the Frances - the Norte from Santander/Barreda would call every time. The end of the Camino (Primitivo) where the Frances joins was enough for me because I value the quieter routes. If you check out Gronze you should be able to see which albergues are open on the Norte if that is a worry and it also lists hostals/hotels etc. You might choose to start further west than Irun, somewhere like Santander for example where the albergues seem to open earlier in the year.

Avega:

I have walked all my Camino's starting between March 23rd and April 12th (this year).

The Norte is a beautiful route along the Sea. Day in and out, I think it is the most challenging (especially the first week). The daily etapa's are longer than the Frances and there is more hard surface walking. There is plenty of accommodation and it will not be to touristy in April. There are also several daily alternatives (routes). Try www.gronze.com, the Eroski online guide or the Northern Camino's guide book.

The Frances is more social but should not be overly crowded in April with the exception of Easter week. This Camino has plenty of accommodation and varying topography. The most appealing part, I believe, is that you can really manage your days because there is a Pueblo (town or village every 6 to 10 km's with the exception of a couple of days. That is one of the reasons, imo, most people recommend it as a first Camino.

I will be walking the Frances again this April for the first time since 2011 and looking forward to it. If you choose the Frances maybe our paths will cross.

Whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be the best one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.