A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Camino del Norte

Edward Awad

El peregrino
Camino(s) past & future
(SJPP-Logrono June 2009), (Logrono-Santiago June 2015), (Irun-Finistere-Muxia April-May 2018)
Hello Neil! Congrats on completing your camino!
I walked the camino frances 2 years ago and loved the experience. I started planning for my second camino on the northern route (del Norte) in April 2018. I am interested in learning about your experience: which guide book you used, weather, ease of finding vacant albergues, your starting point, etc.

Pax et bonum

Edward

Camino(s) past & future
(2017)
Hy Neil I m Stefania. I will start the Camino del norte in October. Do you think I.found.the albegue still open? Will I found other pilgrims? Did you use some interesting guide?
Thank you

Camino(s) past & future
June 2015
I just completed the Camino del Norte a couple of weeks ago, so happy to share my experience or answer any questions.
I Neil, i would like to do the Del Norte in June 2018, do you think i need a sleeping bag? Is there some blanket in all the Albergue like in the Camino Francès. I would like to start from Bilbao to walk along the ocean, and than take a bus to make the way shorter and continue to Santiago. Is there a lot bus along the Camino?

Thank you

Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances 2007, camino Portugues 2008, camino Aragones 2014
Hello Neil! Congrats on completing your camino!
I walked the camino frances 2 years ago and loved the experience. I started planning for my second camino on the northern route (del Norte) in April 2018. I am interested in learning about your experience: which guide book you used, weather, ease of finding vacant albergues, your starting point, etc.

Pax et bonum

Edward
Hello Edward, and other Camino del Norte piligrims starting on April 2018.
I have many of the same questions as you have....weather, albergues open, variation routes....I am starting in Irun April 4...any one else??

Camino(s) past & future
Hello Edward, and other Camino del Norte piligrims starting on April 2018.
I have many of the same questions as you have....weather, albergues open, variation routes....I am starting in Irun April 4...any one else??
My message left too quickly, before I could sign off.
Buen Camino to All, peregrino friends,
Naima A

Edward Awad

El peregrino
Camino(s) past & future
(SJPP-Logrono June 2009), (Logrono-Santiago June 2015), (Irun-Finistere-Muxia April-May 2018)
Thanks Naima for your reply.

I will be starting my Camino del Norte on April 19, from Irun. Y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino...

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte April 2018
Hi,
I just completed the Camino del Norte a couple of weeks ago, so happy to share my experience or answer any questions.
Yes, I have many questions Neil. How long did it take you, names of albergues ( ones that were a standout -great etc ), especially in Saint Sebastian and whether you pre-booked anything ( private ones I mean) ? This is my first time but I'm sure once I get my rhythm over the first few days, it'll be fine, just a little concerned about albergues during the first few days. Wondering where you stayed overnight in Irun too ? Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Camino(s) past & future
Hello peregrenino friends,
my plan is to start in Irun on April 4, I do see that from Irun to San Sebastian there is a steep ascend...I am a little concern to be doing this, on the first day, before getting on the ritm of long walking... Do you think would be better to start in San Sebastian ? Is it a very beautiful stage ?? Any sugestions ?

Cjthom

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2011
Camino portugales 2015
Camino del Norte 2017
Hello peregrenino friends,
my plan is to start in Irun on April 4, I do see that from Irun to San Sebastian there is a steep ascend...I am a little concern to be doing this, on the first day, before getting on the ritm of long walking... Do you think would be better to start in San Sebastian ? Is it a very beautiful stage ?? Any sugestions ?
We walked the first half last year in September. We started from Irun and although it was a tough day it was most rewarding. A lot of people we meant started from San Sebastián because they heard it was hard. I was 66 when I did it and feel they missed out by avoiding the route...

Camino(s) past & future
Hi
I started in Irun and yes it is hard but extremely rewarding and glad I did so, but take confort the next day is much more moderate. It’s a tough week so I suggest the sooner the better. Enjoy

Inge 36

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte, start 29th of august
Hi starting my first camino on the 29th of august...travelling alone, any tips, are very welcome, bit nervous to be honest

Camino(s) past & future
On my mother’s birthday ! A few tips, one which I did not fully follow: do not over pack which I can’t stress enough ! I learnt the hard way re overpacking. I did the Norte on my own earlier this year and yes I was nervous at first, but after a few days it becomes second nature. Follow the arrows, have apps on your phone a guide book. Depending on what Camino you are doing, you need to be physically prepared. The Norte,which I did,is more challenging & even though I am above average fitness for my age, it certainly was very hard & demanding , especially the first week. Good luck !

Inge 36

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte, start 29th of august
On my mother’s birthday ! A few tips, one which I did not fully follow: do not over pack which I can’t stress enough ! I learnt the hard way re overpacking. I did the Norte on my own earlier this year and yes I was nervous at first, but after a few days it becomes second nature. Follow the arrows, have apps on your phone a guide book. Depending on what Camino you are doing, you need to be physically prepared. The Norte,which I did,is more challenging & even though I am above average fitness for my age, it certainly was very hard & demanding , especially the first week. Good luck !
Hey thanks for the reply... how much did your bag weigh? Planning not to take over 7 kg. I started training a month ago and still have a full 2 months to train. I already have the maps and apps on my phone. I chose the Norte because it should be cooler than the Frances... I’m thinking of taking a tent with me...so i have more freedom, any thoughts on that? Thanks !

Camino(s) past & future
Hey thanks for the reply... how much did your bag weigh? Planning not to take over 7 kg. I started training a month ago and still have a full 2 months to train. I already have the maps and apps on my phone. I chose the Norte because it should be cooler than the Frances... I’m thinking of taking a tent with me...so i have more freedom, any thoughts on that? Thanks !
Seven kilos sounds good.Carrying a tent is a personal choice but having said that I wouldn’t as it’s extra weight and then what about cooking utensils etc ? I did meet a few people who did carry a tent but in my opinion why bother ?

Edel7303

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Del Norte July 2018
Hi Gypsy,
Can I ask your advise please? I am starting 1st July for 6 weeks, and I know the entire Camino del Norte can be done in 6 weeks, but I am unfit and overweight (this trip is to help me turn that around) so I will be slower than most, and might not get the full Irun to Santiago completed. I am flying into Bilbao, but was planning to travel to Irun to start. I've read the section from Irun to Bilbao is some of the best scenery but also the toughest climb. (And also then seeing your comments) I'm a little anxious starting out on such a tough section, but I suppose I don't need to do the 25km each day if I'm not able. What would your advice be? If I have to skip a section, what would you suggest?

Should I start from Irun and just do smaller sections each day or start in Bilbao?

Your advice is much appreciated :)

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Gypsy,
Can I ask your advise please? I am starting 1st July for 6 weeks, and I know the entire Camino del Norte can be done in 6 weeks, but I am unfit and overweight (this trip is to help me turn that around) so I will be slower than most, and might not get the full Irun to Santiago completed. I am flying into Bilbao, but was planning to travel to Irun to start. I've read the section from Irun to Bilbao is some of the best scenery but also the toughest climb. (And also then seeing your comments) I'm a little anxious starting out on such a tough section, but I suppose I don't need to do the 25km each day if I'm not able. What would your advice be? If I have to skip a section, what would you suggest?

Should I start from Irun and just do smaller sections each day or start in Bilbao?

Your advice is much appreciated :)
Hi there, The scenery from Irun to Bilbao is certainly stunning and difficult, especially the first day ( second stage more moderate however ) and being unfit and overweight as you state will definitely make it harder. Not sure what to advise here as it's challenging anyway but you'll never know until you try I guess and as you say you can always split each stage and skip a few if you like which I did later on. You will certainly get fit on the Norte and lose weight, I lost quite a bit and can now fit into some jeans which were tight and are now big ! If you do begin in Irun take it easy, have very good shoes, merino socks, and two walking sticks are a definite must, enough water, hat and snacks etc. It might be an idea to send your pack on until you get your mojo which I did due to over packing and walk just with a day pack. I later sent the excess clothes on to Santiago then walked with my larger pack. If you start in Bilbao which many do, there are still great views to be had. I guess I can't really tell you what to do as only you can make that decision, only you know how unfit etc you are.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%