• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte

ElizabethMC

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles - 2018
Camino del Norte - 2022
Hi,

My dad, sister and I would like to walk a part of the Camino del Norte.
We have a about 12 days.
Any suggestions on which part would be the nicest to see?
We fly into Madrid from SA and would like to end in Santiago. We are also willing to take the bus on parts that are not so nice to see to get to parts that are more worth while to walk.
We prefer the countryside/rural parts.

Thank you for your expertise 🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
12 days total or 12 days to walk? You are in luck. It is all so nice to see -- except the industrial areas between Bilbao and Portugalete and between Gijon and Aviles. You would miss the spectacular ocean cliffs and beaches of the coast, but if you start in Ribadeo you will experience the countryside/rural parts you desire as you walk inland to Santiago. You could start a day or two east of there to experience the coast. And the bridge across the Rio Ribadeo! Plan your stages to stay at Witericus albergue near Carballedo or CSJ Albergue San Martin at Miraz. In Sobrado do Monxes I like the private albergue Lecer but the Albergue de Peregrinos, Monasterio Santa Maria de Sobrado has been recently upgraded and the church all cleaned up like the cathedral in Santiago. Beautiful. Across the street from Lecer, tucked behind a small building, is the best restaurant I have eaten in in Spain. One day out of Santiago stay at the private albergue Santa Irene, and be sure to opt for the delicious dinner and breakfast. Be sure to stay two nights In Santiago. I stay at Roots and Boots Hostel to continue the albergue charm. Buen Camino!

12 days total or 12 days to walk? You are in luck. It is all so nice to see -- except the industrial areas between Bilbao and Portugalete and between Gijon and Aviles. You would miss the spectacular ocean cliffs and beaches of the coast, but if you start in Ribadeo you will experience the countryside/rural parts you desire as you walk inland to Santiago. You could start a day or two east of there to experience the coast. And the bridge across the Rio Ribadeo! Plan your stages to stay at Witericus albergue near Carballedo or CSJ Albergue San Martin at Miraz. In Sobrado do Monxes I like the private albergue Lecer but the Albergue de Peregrinos, Monasterio Santa Maria de Sobrado has been recently upgraded and the church all cleaned up like the cathedral in Santiago. Beautiful. Across the street from Lecer, tucked behind a small building, is the best restaurant I have eaten in in Spain. One day out of Santiago stay at the private albergue Santa Irene, and be sure to opt for the delicious dinner and breakfast. Be sure to stay two nights In Santiago. I stay at Roots and Boots Hostel to continue the albergue charm. Buen Camino!
Awesome thank you! 🤗 We have 12 days in total.

The most beautiful part of the del Norte is from Irun to Bilbao, which takes about 7 days. (It is also the most strenuous, but I was pretty out of shape when I started and it did not kill me.) The food is also much better in the Basque Country than elsewhere on the del Norte. If you only have 12 days, you could do that week, and then fly or take a train from Bilbao to somewhere close to Santiago (100Km out would still get you a compostela, if that is important for you - I would recommend starting in Lugo, which is an impressive Roman city on the Primitivo.)

If you are interested in walking continuously to Santiago, I would recommend doing the Primitivo, which has a lot of beautiful scenery. If you are fast walkers, you could start in Oviedo (also a beautiful small city) and make it to Santiago in 12 days; if you are slower walkers you would want to start a bit further along the camino. Alternatively, you could do the Portuguese from Porto, which only takes about ten days, so you would have a day each to explore Porto and Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The most beautiful part of the del Norte is from Irun to Bilbao, which takes about 7 days. (It is also the most strenuous, but I was pretty out of shape when I started and it did not kill me.) The food is also much better in the Basque Country than elsewhere on the del Norte. If you only have 12 days, you could do that week, and then fly or take a train from Bilbao to somewhere close to Santiago (100Km out would still get you a compostela, if that is important for you - I would recommend starting in Lugo, which is an impressive Roman city on the Primitivo.)

If you are interested in walking continuously to Santiago, I would recommend doing the Primitivo, which has a lot of beautiful scenery. If you are fast walkers, you could start in Oviedo (also a beautiful small city) and make it to Santiago in 12 days; if you are slower walkers you would want to start a bit further along the camino. Alternatively, you could do the Portuguese from Porto, which only takes about ten days, so you would have a day each to explore Porto and Santiago.
Thank you! This sounds lovely! We were originally planning on starting in Porto, but as South Africans we still can't travel there. Appreciate your input!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.