• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte

MagsRossi

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2018
Hi, I am planning a 4 day Camino del Notre walk in May. We fly into Santander and are thinking to start our walk in Santillana del Mar and head to the Comillas the first day, Unquera the second day, Llanes the third day and end up in Ribadesella. Can anyone give me insight into what the trails are on this route? We are most concerned with being on roads for a lot of time. Also, any hotel recommendations for any of the above towns? Thanks for your help

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Santillana del Mar - if you have time, do visit the replica of the Cuevas de Altamira - renowned for prehistoric cave art featuring charcoal drawings and polychrome paintings of contemporary local fauna and human hands.

Another place not to miss while in Santillana del Mar, - especially if you are a history buff, would be the Inquisition Museum: http://www.museodelatortura.com/

In Comillas, don't miss visiting Antoní Gaudí's "El Capricho" ("The Whim"), built in 1883-85 for the summer use of a wealthy client, Máximo Díaz de Quijano.

We decided to stay at the Monasterio de Valdediós and had an unexpected experience when we hiked up to Llaneces and met Anita Rodríguez - who was a Spanish Civil War survival. I had the opportunity to talk to her about the atrocities that took place in her area and how she helped researchers discover a mass grave along the uphill trail before getting to her village. There is a monument there, honoring the nurses and doctors from Oviedo that were apprehended and executed right there on the way up to Llaneces. Anita recalled the gunshots and it was a very moving to hear her tell us the history of what took place there during the Civil War.
We also had a magnificent Caldo Asturiano right across from the Monasterio, and Xavier - the owner of the bar, was such a wonderful host and a font of historical information as well.

***I have just read the the Monasterio de Valdediós is closed for pilgrims. Perhaps, in the near future it might open? Do check before you leave because this would definitely be a gem not to be missed.

These are the accommodations we had in some of these villages include:

Hotel Altamira

Address:Cantón, 1, 39330 Santillana del Mar, Spain
Phone: +34 942 81 80 25
GPS Coordinates: N 043° 23.430, W 04° 6.446

In Comillas:

In Llanes:

Sorry for the long posting. You had me reminiscing about one of the best sections on Camino del Norte. I just hope this gives you a little insight about the beautiful historical area you chose. You will not regret it in any way!!

Ultreïa!

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2297.jpg
    IMG_2297.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 23.16.13.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 23.16.13.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 23.20.31.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 23.20.31.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 23.21.00.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 23.21.00.png
    436.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 23.21.09.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 23.21.09.png
    368.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.