• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Rey re-opened

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
After 10 years of being officialy closed (although people did walked it during that time) and one year of reconstruction the authorities will re-open this "Caminito" during Semana Santa. This 3kms long and 1mt wide path was built from 1901 onward to supply workers in two hydroelectric power plants on Guadalhorce river near Malaga. It is known as one of the most frightening paths in the world, so I don't recommend opening following links to those with vertigo issues :eek:

Camino del Rey before reconstruction:
and after:

You can find lots more footage of this Caminito on... you know where ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is local for me and I have foolishly accepted a challenge to walk the caminito. But first things first - camino Mozarabe from Málaga commencing 8 April - at least this will delay the challenge!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is local for me and I have foolishly accepted a challenge to walk the caminito. But first things first - camino Mozarabe from Málaga commencing 8 April - at least this will delay the challenge!
Yes, I remember from your Portugues blog that you live somewhere near Malaga (and your "addiction" for horses :)).
I find this kind of camino merely touristy thing but would go take a look if happened to be somewhere near and had enough time. Since I was alpinist this isn't really something very scary for me ;)

Last edited:
We are in the neighbourhood during our next holiday the end of August and I realy want to go. You have to buy tickets and make a reservation, only 50 people a time are alowed. It is only a 7 kilometer walk, but it looks amazing, although I am a bit afraid of heights too:eek:. I will let you know how it was, when I get back.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gosh...I'd forgotten about this thread. I have now walked the reopened Caminito del Rey twice. Both on organised ayuntamiento (town hall) charabancs, whilst the attraction was being run as a free service for local groups (I live an hour from Malaga).

It is a fabulous experience with incredibly beautiful scenery. The second trip included s friend who had mild fear of heights which escalated once on the walk. He went the whole way with both hands gripping the inside hand rail and I had to walk backwards across the bridge holding both his hands whilst someone else held his waist from behind. Rather slow progress was made!

It is now run by a private company and you can book tickets online.

Definitely worth a few hours if you are in the area.

Here is a little video I made during our first trip...

Thank you for sharing this Magwood, now I look forward going even more! Although I rather not had heard the story about your friend with the fear of heights:D

Wow, that's a nice trip through the gorge. It seems like pretty solid (new) structure to me although the bridge was a little shaky in the wind :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The last part, after the bridge was the most challenging, but luckily I am not too fazed by heights (as long as there is a barrier to hold on to).

On our first visit we reached the start of the Caminito to be told it was closed due to high wind. We were lucky the second time, as it was again quite windy, but we were allowed to proceed. Third time lucky also with good calm weather.

The walk closes in high wind or rain, as I guess the wooden board walks can get rather slippery. The new construction is very sturdy and felt entirely safe.

I'm sure you will be fine @Whistling. You can take something to eat half way round as there is a section on dirt track with places to rest. It isn't a circular route, you need to walk back along the road, or take a bus back to the parking area. There are bars/restaurants at the beginning and end of the caminito.

I can highly recommend a couple of days to discover the delights of Malaga if you have the opportunity, it is a lovely city with many museums and art galleries, and a great place to sit in a cafe and people watch.
Buen caminito!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,
Have you done this yet and how are you?
Buen (nice person) Camino

Been there and it was a wonderful, beautiful scenery and amazing views. Everything was very well organized and safe. That was necessary too, because it was very crowded. You have to buy tickets in advance through internet.
They call it the Caminito del Rey, which, if I am right, means little way. It is not a "real" Camino (if such a thing excists;)) but more a wonderful walk, quite easy tot walk too. I realy do like walking in Andalusia, although this year it still was very warm the beginning of September.
In Granada I saw a waymark for the Camino, almost automatically followed it:)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.