Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Salvador and Primitivo Need Advice

LauraK

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
Yahoo! I have earned enough frequent flyer miles for a trip to Spain and will have enough time open in October to walk again. I plan to start walking on October 15. I walked the VdlP and Sanabres from Salamanca in March so I feel very fortunate to be able to get another walk in this year. Thanks to Peringrina2000's wonderful posts I have decided to walk the Del Salvador and Primitivo caminos. I have several questions and would greatly appreciate help in my planning. I am upping my daily walks to 9 miles 5 days a week with a few longer walks before I leave. Dallas is flat so I will not have the ability to climb mountains. Training is a first for me since I generally go without any training and use the first few days to get in shape but I admit I am a little intimidated by the elevations on these two routes. So here goes...
1. Solo walking: On my solo March walk I only shared an albergue on 4 nights out of 21 and basically saw no pilgrims during the day...a very solitary camino. I am fine walking alone but would not mind a little more company in the evening. On many of the older Salvador and Primitivo posts I find comments stating that these are mountain routes and dangerous to do alone. Is this true? Will there be other pilgrims during this time of year?
2. Weather: I have walked the CF in Jan-Feb and the Sanabres in March so I have winter layers and equipment. Do I need to bring my wool base layers (merino top & long johns), fleece hat and gloves for this time of year? I will have a fleece jacket and rain jacket/pants to use for layers. I walk hot so even in freezing weather I will often have my jacket off during mid day. Will my fleece be enough for evenings in the mountains? It appears that I should anticipate many rain days.
3. Number of Days: I need to book my fight but I am not sure how many days I need to walk with these elevations - I generally can do 25-30km and have walked up to 37 km in a day with several rests along the way (but not in the mountains). I am planning 5 days on the Salvador and 12 days from Oviedo to Santiago. Is this reasonable? I will need to leave the day after I arrive in Santiago so I won't have extra days for rest. I am fine cutting out the last part on the CF if needed.
I have Laurie's notes and I have downloaded the guides, but any other recommendations would be welcomed. I admit these caminos have me a little more nervous...but I think I felt the same way before the last one.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have not walked the Salvador but did walk the Primitivo starting may 20th or so this year. I am not fit, and do not train. That's what the Camino is for .

I met one person on the Primitivo who had just come the Salvador. There was still snow on the ground there while the Primitivo had beautiful temps in the 20-23 degree range during the day, 7 or so at night. So clearly very different tem's between these routes apparently. He said he had been alone in the albergues most evenings. But I certainly didn't get any sens of danger from him, or I would not be considering it for a next walk. From what I have read it's walking with snow and ice on the ground that can be iffy, but doubt that will be much of a concern next month.

On the Primitivo I walked alone, with people passing me here and there. Some albergues quite empty, others filled: San Juan de Villapanada, Borres, Berducedo, Lugo. I never felt unsafe but was smart enough to check the albergues when I walked in and I was the fist to arrive, and to lock the door while I showered to open the door when I was done. Figured people could wait 5 minutes as the weather was good.

I brought longjohns that I wore at night to sleep in and under my macabi skirt in the afternoons and pm. I also used a light llbean fleece layered on a tshirt in the morning. I was glad to have my sleeping bag and aldo used blankets when available. I also had rain pants, rain jacket, Altus but did not need them as all I faced was 2 hours of light rain. But I was happy to be ready in case.

As I mentioned, I am not in shape and do not like walking more than 23km a day. I think I walked the Primitivo in 15 or 16 days. First day I stopped in Esclampero, which is some 11km out of Oviedo. The next I went to San Juan de Villapanada and from there Salas. Many walked much more, but looking at what you have walked in the past I would not be concerned. Yes there are ups and downs, actually, a lot of them . Whenever you see windmills in the distance you can bet that is where you are heading in terms of the danger of the ups and downs there is of course the Hospitales route which should not be taken if there is any risk of iffy weather. It is hard, but mostly slippery and super windy at the top. And when the clouds come in the temperatures drop dramatically and visibility becomes nill. Considering how narrow the stretches you walk along are and slippery, it is not fun. And lots of animal carcases to remind you about the reality of nature. The alternative is going thrrough Pola, but that takes an extra day and the uphill to get out of it is apparently quite difficult.

You will not find water fountains as often as you would on the CF so plan ahead. Also make sure you have a guide just so that you know when you need to bring food with you if you want to stay here rather than there, etc.

Hoping this helps a bit. Others will certainly chime in with more advice. Have a wonderful time!

Last edited by a moderator:
The alternative is going through Pola, but that takes an extra day and the uphill to get out of it is apparently quite difficult.
We kept to the road going out of Pola as it had been very wet, also means that you pass a cafe (if it is still open) and the road rises gradually. The Camino crosses the road before the hairpins over Puerto de Palo and we joined the track at the crossing point. This avoids part of the climb (the steep section out of the valley bottom) and also potential mud and water in the valley as well as making that section a little easier.
The advice given by CSJ for Puerto de Palo and Buspol is 'in bad weather keep to the road'. This takes you through Pola de Allende, Berducedo and the road to Grandas de Salime (missing La Mesa and the climb and descent of Buspol). This last is longer but safer in bad visibility and probably easier in some ways. Check out Gronze and maybe compare it with Google maps. The CSJ guide to the Primitivo is excellent, light weight and not expensive and gives alternative routes and some alternative accomodation too.

If October temperatures are like May then I personally would take cold weather gear including gloves and warm underwear for night wear and evenings. I had 2 fleeces, no jacket, and a rain poncho and waterproof over trousers. The last were useful on cold mornings as I could walk in them until I warmed up, and then take them off.

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anemone and Tia Valeria - you have no idea how helpful all these comments are. Thank you :) !!!
Good luck to Laura - don't forget to let us know how you get on.
My plan is to walk the Primitivo in May next year ..... God willing!
Buen camino - and thanks again!

Hello Laura. I walked the Salvador this april. It took me five days (staying in La Robia, Poladura, Pasajes, Pola de Lena and Oviedo) so considering your camino experience, a five day plan seems very reasonable to me. In addition to what has been said in other threads already:
- I think you only need to be cautious about the stretch between Buiza and Puerto de Pajares. It is particularly beautiful, but I would definitely check the weather conditions before walking it. When I walked it the weather was fine, although there were still some snowy parts. I would definitely not have felt comfortable walking this parts on my own in tough, rainy conditions.
- When staying in Buiza or Poladura, be aware that food may be limited. It is possible to eat in the lovely casa rural in Poladuria, but you need to phone ahead to make a reservation so they buy can some food for you. Otherwise, in Poladura there is no possibility to obtain food. In Buiza, there is no food what so ever, I think.
Buen Camino! Marc.

LauraK:

The San Salvador is a 4-6 days walk and the Primitivo 11-14 days, imo.

The San Salvador is very lightly hiked, so you might be alone. I walked in April 2013 and never saw another walker. There is also the issue of food. Buiza has a nice Albergue but no store or bar for food purchase, so bring something to cook or eat with you if this is a planned stop. Poladura has a terrible Albergue, imo and no food. I would see about making a reservation at the Casa Rural. I am not sure when Winter starts in the mountains but the Salvador can get snow in the mountains. I have posted several pictures of drifts I encountered in the passes. It can also be very muddy if raining.

The Primitivo is far more populated. I was never alone in the Albergues. This route can also be quite muddy in rainy weather.

Three weeks should be an adequate amount of time to walk these Camino's, imo, unless you plan on going to Finisterre.

There is a separate credential for the San Salvador. You can get it at the Albergue in Leon.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Salvador as a solo female in September 2014. The 5 days is enough. I didn't feel unsafe but it is a solitary walk. I stayed at the Casa Rural in Poladura. You do need to have food with you. The trails were easily found and the terrain moderately difficult. I carried a light weight fleece and wind breaker. I generally hike in capris or longish walking shorts and was fine. No rain or snow at that time. La Robla has a great albergue with a nice pilgrim friendly restaurant close by. Pola de Lena has a wonderful albergue as well. From Oviedo to Santiago I am planning to take 12 days. Leaving tomorrow and walking 10 September. Have a good trip. PS there is a bus in Leon that takes you closer and avoids some of the city pavement.

I walked the Salvador as a solo female in September 2014. The 5 days is enough. I didn't feel unsafe but it is a solitary walk. I stayed at the Casa Rural in Poladura. You do need to have food with you. The trails were easily found and the terrain moderately difficult. I carried a light weight fleece and wind breaker. I generally hike in capris or longish walking shorts and was fine. No rain or snow at that time. La Robla has a great albergue with a nice pilgrim friendly restaurant close by. Pola de Lena has a wonderful albergue as well. From Oviedo to Santiago I am planning to take 12 days. Leaving tomorrow and walking 10 September. Have a good trip. PS there is a bus in Leon that takes you closer and avoids some of the city pavement.

Pilar: Thanks for the info. I don't mind the solitude if there are pilgrims on the Primativo. How many km. does the bus save? Do you know where I would catch the bus and where I would get off? Worth considering if I do the longer stretch on the first day.

I have not walked the Salvador but did walk the Primitivo starting may 20th or so this year. I am not fit, and do not train. That's what the Camino is for .

I met one person on the Primitivo who had just come the Salvador. There was still snow on the ground there while the Primitivo had beautiful temps in the 20-23 degree range during the day, 7 or so at night. So clearly very different tem's between these routes apparently. He said he had been alone in the albergues most evenings. But I certainly didn't get any sens of danger from him, or I would not be considering it for a next walk. From what I have read it's walking with snow and ice on the ground that can be iffy, but doubt that will be much of a concern next month.

On the Primitivo I walked alone, with people passing me here and there. Some albergues quite empty, others filled: San Juan de Villapanada, Borres, Berducedo, Lugo. I never felt unsafe but was smart enough to check the albergues when I walked in and I was the fist to arrive, and to lock the door while I showered to open the door when I was done. Figured people could wait 5 minutes as the weather was good.

I brought longjohns that I wore at night to sleep in and under my macabi skirt in the afternoons and pm. I also used a light llbean fleece layered on a tshirt in the morning. I was glad to have my sleeping bag and aldo used blankets when available. I also had rain pants, rain jacket, Altus but did not need them as all I faced was 2 hours of light rain. But I was happy to be ready in case.

As I mentioned, I am not in shape and do not like walking more than 23km a day. I think I walked the Primitivo in 15 or 16 days. First day I stopped in Esclampero, which is some 11km out of Oviedo. The next I went to San Juan de Villapanada and from there Salas. Many walked much more, but looking at what you have walked in the past I would not be concerned. Yes there are ups and downs, actually, a lot of them . Whenever you see windmills in the distance you can bet that is where you are heading in terms of the danger of the ups and downs there is of course the Hospitales route which should not be taken if there is any risk of iffy weather. It is hard, but mostly slippery and super windy at the top. And when the clouds come in the temperatures drop dramatically and visibility becomes nill. Considering how narrow the stretches you walk along are and slippery, it is not fun. And lots of animal carcases to remind you about the reality of nature. The alternative is going thrrough Pola, but that takes an extra day and the uphill to get out of it is apparently quite difficult.

You will not find water fountains as often as you would on the CF so plan ahead. Also make sure you have a guide just so that you know when you need to bring food with you if you want to stay here rather than there, etc.

Hoping this helps a bit. Others will certainly chime in with more advice. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks Anemone! I read your posts on the Primativo and they were very helpful. I will take the alternate route if there is bad weather as you recommended. When you say "Considering how narrow the stretches you walk along are and slippery" does that mean the path is narrow with steep drop offs on both sides? I do have a fear of heights but I am okay if one side of the path doesn't have a drop off. Can you describe? I wish I had the time to walk more days on the Primativo as you did...as it is I will need to complete in 12 days. I will cut out my day in Santiago if I need an extra day on the camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Pilar: Thanks for the info. I don't mind the solitude if there are pilgrims on the Primativo. How many km. does the bus save? Do you know where I would catch the bus and where I would get off? Worth considering if I do the longer stretch on the first day.
Hi, Laura, It's bus #12 from the Plaza de Santo Domingo to Carbajal (8 km), where there is an albergue. It's in the guide Reb wrote and I revised, have you seen that? Buen camino, Laurie

I do not recall drop offs on both sides, but certainly on the left, if you chose to look. In particular as you are nearing Palo de Alto. I do not suffer fromfear of height, perhaps,thosemthat do and have walked the route can chime in. But I recall thinking there was nomway I would venture out while the clouds covered all vision.

Hello Laura. I walked the Salvador this april. It took me five days (staying in La Robia, Poladura, Pasajes, Pola de Lena and Oviedo) so considering your camino experience, a five day plan seems very reasonable to me. In addition to what has been said in other threads already:
- I think you only need to be cautious about the stretch between Buiza and Puerto de Pajares. It is particularly beautiful, but I would definitely check the weather conditions before walking it. When I walked it the weather was fine, although there were still some snowy parts. I would definitely not have felt comfortable walking this parts on my own in tough, rainy conditions.
- When staying in Buiza or Poladura, be aware that food may be limited. It is possible to eat in the lovely casa rural in Poladuria, but you need to phone ahead to make a reservation so they buy can some food for you. Otherwise, in Poladura there is no possibility to obtain food. In Buiza, there is no food what so ever, I think.
Buen Camino! Marc.

Thanks Marc. I will stock up on some food in Leon before I leave. Is there an alternate route between Buiza and Puerto de Pajares if the weather is bad? Also, how was the way marking on the Salvador? I got lost several times on the VdlP and Sanabres due to some missing arrows and the Ave construction.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Laura, It's bus #12 from the Plaza de Santo Domingo to Carbajal (8 km), where there is an albergue. It's in the guide Reb wrote and I revised, have you seen that? Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie. I just printed the guides last night and will be reviewing them over the next few days.

Thanks Anemone! I read your posts on the Primativo and they were very helpful. I will take the alternate route if there is bad weather as you recommended. When you say "Considering how narrow the stretches you walk along are and slippery" does that mean the path is narrow with steep drop offs on both sides? I do have a fear of heights but I am okay if one side of the path doesn't have a drop off. Can you describe? I wish I had the time to walk more days on the Primativo as you did...as it is I will need to complete in 12 days. I will cut out my day in Santiago if I need an extra day on the camino.
I do not recall drop offs on both sides, but certainly on the left, if you chose to look. In particular as you are nearing Palo de Alto. I do not suffer fromfear of height, perhaps,thosemthat do and have walked the route can chime in. But I recall thinking there was nomway I would venture out while the clouds covered all vision.

I do not like heights and drop-offs, but I never had a sense that I was close to the edge of any path. I was walking with 6 or 7 other people most of the time and we never had to get single file or anything like that. In fact, I would say that most of the walk is along a ridge, with ample width on both sides. But Anemone, you have a very different memory, I see. Buen camino, Laurie

I do not like heights and drop-offs, but I never had a sense that I was close to the edge of any path. I was walking with 6 or 7 other people most of the time and we never had to get single file or anything like that. In fact, I would say that most of the walk is along a ridge, with ample width on both sides. But Anemone, you have a very different memory, I see. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, there is a bit where walking on a ridge that was like walking into nowhere. But it was not scary to me, but did wonder about what would happen if... But perhpas that was froma diatance. That impression I remember clearly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Laurie. I just printed the guides last night and will be reviewing them over the next few days.

Well, the reason I asked that is because there has been confusion about which version is the most up to date. I can't check now, but when I'm back at my computer tomorrow I will hunt for the most up to date document and try to make sure it's posted on the forum
Thanks Marc. I will stock up on some food in Leon before I leave. Is there an alternate route between Buiza and Puerto de Pajares if the weather is bad? Also, how was the way marking on the Salvador? I got lost several times on the VdlP and Sanabres due to some missing arrows and the Ave construction.

After Buiza, the only town is Poladura until you arrive at the church of Arbas. There is one ascent up to the Forcadas de San Anton (I think that's right, I'm going on memory here) and then down to Poladura. After Poladura you will spend most of the time in the mountains, no towns or fountains until descending to a church with a meson nearby, Santa Maria de Arbas. That church is on the highway, one or two kms before the Puerto de Pajares.

Thinking about this stretch just makes me itch to get on my shoes and get back there, it is surely one of the most spectacular stretches of any camino I've ever been on.

Buen camino, Laurie

Good to hear! I am fine if there is a wider path and I have my trekking poles. I once walked the Inca trail in Peru and it was very scary. I sometimes get vertigo so I try to avoid really steep drop offs.

Waymarking on the Salvador is excellent, no worries. It is possible to walk from Pola de Gordon to Pajares on the main road. It passes some towns, some of them have accomodation (in fact I think this used to be the route for the Salvador, untill Ender and his friends waymarked the much nicer and more scenic way through the mountains). I do not know if this is advicable as it is quite a busy road. Having said that, I did walk along the main road for some kilometers just before and after Pajares and I was fine with it. There is also a train, making stops at Pola de Gordon and Busdongo (which is just before Puerto de Pajares). But anyway, I hope the weather will be good so you can walk the scenic route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good to hear! I am fine if there is a wider path and I have my trekking poles. I once walked the Inca trail in Peru and it was very scary. I sometimes get vertigo so I try to avoid really steep drop offs.

Hi, Laura, I walked the Inca trail about five years ago and my memory, such that it is, is that there is nothing on the Salvador that is like some of those step paths up the hills in Peru. At the Puerto de Pajares, there is a part that some have found scary (we have a HUGE thread on this), but I never felt like it was dangerous at all. But that may be because I didn't encounter grazing livestock on the path as some have.

Laurie, just want to take this opportunity to thank you and Rebekah for writing and revising the Salvador guide, and for making it available on the forum. Did not say 'thank you' before, but is much appreciated !! Marc.

You'll be fine then.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
.............. does that mean the path is narrow with steep drop offs on both sides? I do have a fear of heights but I am okay if one side of the path doesn't have a drop off. Can you describe? I wish I had the time to walk more days on the Primativo as you did...as it is I will need to complete in 12 days. I will cut out my day in Santiago if I need an extra day on the camino.
Laura you should be aware that the path over Buspol (from Berducedo to Grandas de Salime) does have a fairly steep drop off to one side some distance after the summit. You can avoid this by following the route until you see a red pointer left to Grandas de Salime 7km( and back to Berducedo), downhill. The cyclists route/track keeps straight on here to join the road. You might be happier taking that track.
We walked Pola de Allande not Hospitales so I cannot comment on that, or compare the 'drop'.

Attachments

• grandas7km.jpg
    grandas7km.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 11
I would definitely not have felt comfortable walking this parts on my own in tough, rainy conditions.
I agree. Check long range weather forecast in Leon and subsequently each day on Camino de San Salvador. The route is well marked but difficulties may arise if visibility is poor, accompanied by high winds & rain. It is a beautiful route and locals are friendly. This restaurant http://www.restaurantefilanguiru.com/ in Pola de Lena is mentioned elsewhere on the forum. They serve good wine with the pilgrim meal.
Daylight saving time ends Sunday 25th October in Spain, so clocks turn back an hour meaning more light in the mornings but less in the evenings.

Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Laura,
I think I'm getting my involvement in guides to the Invierno, Vadiniense, and Salvador all mixed up. For one thing, I don't see any Salvador guide in the Resources section. But the CSJ has an online version of a revised copy here: http://www.csj.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/CSJ-CamSalv-corr2014.pdf
That version was completed in 2013, so it's only two years out of date. Things that come to mind immediately are the albergue in Carbajal (8 km out of León) and a new one in Bendueños, opened a few weeks ago, 3 km before Campomanes. Information and lots of pictures about it on the Camino del Salvador facebook page, but here is the basic info:

8 beds, donativo, all meals provided (communal). 25 kms from Poladura, 11 kms from Pajares, 3 kms before Campomanes.
This albergue is not directly on the Camino, but the hospitalera will pick you up in Herías, en la Frecha or Campomanes.
Contact information for hospitalera: SANDRA: 674 671 706 (call a day before to set it up).

Hope this helps and sorry if I was causing confusion about the guides. Laurie

It is possible to walk from Pola de Gordon to Pajares on the main road. It passes some towns, some of them have accomodation (in fact I think this used to be the route for the Salvador, untill Ender and his friends waymarked the much nicer and more scenic way through the mountains). I do not know if this is advicable as it is quite a busy road. Having said that, I did walk along the main road for some kilometers just before and after Pajares and I was fine with it.

The road to the Puerto de Pajares is one of the most dangerous and the busiest (in terms of truck traffic) in Spain. Stay off it! If you can read Spanish, this article ought to do all the convincing that needs to be done. http://www.lne.es/cuencas/2015/08/18/carretera-pajares-cabeza-vias-peligrosas/1801921.html

Also, if you take the highway from Pola de Gordon to the Puerto de Pajares you will miss ALL of the mountain walking that Ender has so carefully marked. There is no reason to walk this route if that's what you plan to do, IMO.

Once you arrive in Arbás, the on-road 2 kms to the Puerto de Pajares are not so awful because the road is wide at that point and you can usually get off the asphalt, so I agree with Marc about the stretch just before Pajares.

After Pajares is another question -- and there are lots of threads that delve into this question in great detail. Just to resurrect a few of my favorites:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-the-pueblo-de-pajares-on-the-salvador.19884/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ueblo-de-pajares-on-the-salvador-part2.20828/

Anyway, the bottom line is that you should really try your very hardest to stay off the national highway. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Laura,
I think I'm getting my involvement in guides to the Invierno, Vadiniense, and Salvador all mixed up. For one thing, I don't see any Salvador guide in the Resources section. But the CSJ has an online version of a revised copy here: http://www.csj.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/CSJ-CamSalv-corr2014.pdf
That version was completed in 2013, so it's only two years out of date
Laurie

Thank you. I ordered the guide before I realized there was a pdf copy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The road to the Puerto de Pajares is one of the most dangerous and the busiest (in terms of truck traffic) in Spain. Stay off it! If you can read Spanish, this article ought to do all the convincing that needs to be done. http://www.lne.es/cuencas/2015/08/18/carretera-pajares-cabeza-vias-peligrosas/1801921.html

Also, if you take the highway from Pola de Gordon to the Puerto de Pajares you will miss ALL of the mountain walking that Ender has so carefully marked. There is no reason to walk this route if that's what you plan to do, IMO.

Once you arrive in Arbás, the on-road 2 kms to the Puerto de Pajares are not so awful because the road is wide at that point and you can usually get off the asphalt, so I agree with Marc about the stretch just before Pajares.

After Pajares is another question -- and there are lots of threads that delve into this question in great detail. Just to resurrect a few of my favorites:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-the-pueblo-de-pajares-on-the-salvador.19884/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ueblo-de-pajares-on-the-salvador-part2.20828/

Anyway, the bottom line is that you should really try your very hardest to stay off the national highway. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie: I hate highway walking and dodging big trucks! I will be walking the mountain routes and just check the weather. If the weather is bad on the Salvador do you suggest I take a rest day? I am a little tight on time ( 5 days Salvador/12 days Primativo). I figured I could take a bus from Lugo if I need more days on either route since I don't mind missing the CF part and got a compostela in March.

Laurie: I hate highway walking and dodging big trucks! I will be walking the mountain routes and just check the weather. If the weather is bad on the Salvador do you suggest I take a rest day? I am a little tight on time ( 5 days Salvador/12 days Primativo). I figured I could take a bus from Lugo if I need more days on either route since I don't mind missing the CF part and got a compostela in March.

I'm no weather expert on the Salvador, but my bet would be that if what makes the Salvador impassable is a snowfall, waiting a day isn't going to help any. I would keep in mind that you can get a bus to Oviedo from any of these places on the Salvador -- La Robla, Pajares, Campomanes, Pola de Lena, and Mieres. Only La Robla is before the mountains, though (though the town of Pajares is very close to the pass, but about 4 km after the pass), so it's unlikely you'd need a bus after Pajares.

Some information on bus routes is here: https://www.alsa.es/rutas/leon-gijon-xixon.htm

Laura, what's your 5-day plan on the Salvador? If you don't speak Spanish, I can be in contact with Ender after Oct. 15 to see what he says. He frequently stops at the albergue in La Robla if he sees the shades pulled up and knows there is someone there. Buen camino, Laurie

Another question about cell phone service. I plan to bring
I'm no weather expert on the Salvador, but my bet would be that if what makes the Salvador impassable is a snowfall, waiting a day isn't going to help any. I would keep in mind that you can get a bus to Oviedo from any of these places on the Salvador -- La Robla, Pajares, Campomanes, Pola de Lena, and Mieres. Only La Robla is before the mountains, though (though the town of Pajares is very close to the pass, but about 4 km after the pass), so it's unlikely you'd need a bus after Pajares.

Some information on bus routes is here: https://www.alsa.es/rutas/leon-gijon-xixon.htm

Laura, what's your 5-day plan on the Salvador? If you don't speak Spanish, I can be in contact with Ender after Oct. 15 to see what he says. He frequently stops at the albergue in La Robla if he sees the shades pulled up and knows there is someone there. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie: I haven't worked out my plan yet. I'll send you a private message with my plan once it's done. I'd like your comments and recommendations. I am busy printing/ordering guides and reading posts - I estimated the 5 and 12 day schedule from your posts so I could make my plane reservations. I was able to add an extra day so I can have a rest day or do a shorter leg at some point. I won't get the plan done until next week since I have to travel this week.

My spanish is really basic - more vocabulary and minimal grammar. I can ask a few questions and piece together enough words to get what I need...not very conversational. I have a translation app that I use when I see a sign I can't read or need a new word to communicate ("I am lost" was my new phrase on the Sanabres last March with all the detours!). I would appreciate it if you could ask Ender about the weather and conditions just before I set off. I did read the guide you and Reb wrote, especially about the dangerous pass and letting someone know when to expect you in the next town. I read that phone service is poor in the mountains so I am hoping I can get wifi in the towns to check the weather.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back