• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Salvador in December?

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
I'm thinking about walking this route in the early weeks of December and I'd appreciate advice on whether it is advisable in terms of the likely weather conditions and the number of albergues open at this time of year. If there are few albergues, what other accommodation options might I have at my disposal? Also, I have been led to believe it involves roughly eight days walking...does this seem right? Thank-you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, James, I think that most people walk the Salvador in 4-5 days but there are ways to spread it out, see Ender's guide online. Though the most recent version is only in spanish, you can easily see the possible stages in the front. http://www.slideshare.net/caminodelsalvador/guia-del-camino-del-salvador

I can't comment on December but I'm sure that snow is a real possibility at that time. I think you'll find all of the albergues open, since they are municipal. Buen camino, it is a LOVELY one! Laurie

James:

The guide Laurie suggested is the one I used. This is a well marked route but snow can be an issue. I walked the first week in April and encountered 3-4 meter drifts. I would check the weather before walking and also bring some snow traks. They slip over boots or shoes for traction on ice and snow and are lightweight.

It is a beautiful walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@peregrina2000 and @jpflavin1, many thanks for your speedy replies. I can't believe my naivety, but the worst I was imagining was the amount of mud I'd encounter along the route. Snow is a different kettle-of-fish altogether, but to be forewarned is to be forearmed, as they say! I'm pleased to hear the municipal albergues should be open, which now prompts me to ask - rhetorically - whether bars and food-stores will be in close proximity to them. Maybe I'll get some clues from p2000's weblink. Salute! James

I walked this route in summer and had clear fine weather most of the time and critically on the stage from Poladura to Campomanes, which is one of the most enjoyable stages on any Camino I have walked. However, if there is snow and mist it will be a nightmare. You will probably get lost and might come to grief. Be warned!

@peregrina2000 and @jpflavin1, many thanks for your speedy replies. I can't believe my naivety, but the worst I was imagining was the amount of mud I'd encounter along the route. Snow is a different kettle-of-fish altogether, but to be forewarned is to be forearmed, as they say! I'm pleased to hear the municipal albergues should be open, which now prompts me to ask - rhetorically - whether bars and food-stores will be in close proximity to them. Maybe I'll get some clues from p2000's weblink. Salute! James

Hi, James,
Here's a link to the English version of this guide. http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/caminodelsalvador/guia-ingles-del-camino-del-salvador

It's an older version than the one in Spanish but is probably still very good. It might not have information about the new albergues in Cabanillas and the one near Campomanes whose name escapes me (but I will come back with that information), but for the most part the route is likely to be the same.

As far as bars and food go, the good thing for you as a pilgrim in off season is that they are NOT camino-dependent. Their hours are unlikely to fluctuate with the ebb and flow of the Camino traffic. So I think that anything you see about store hours in the guides is likely to be unchanged in December, if that makes any sense.

And one last thing, AJ warns you about getting lost in the stretch between Poladura and Pajares. If the snow is higher than your waist, you might get lost, but Ender has put so many metal arrows on posts to get pilgrims across the mountains, that I don't think you need to worry. I assume that if the snow is up to your waist, you won't be walking!

If you have any doubt about the weather, make inquiries in La Robla. If your Spanish isn't great, post on the forum and I will contact Ender to see what the conditions are for you.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. my edit: The new albergue on the Salvador is in Benduenos. You can see information and pictures on the Camino del Salvador facebook page. It looks wonderful. The hospitalera will come pick you up since it is a bit off Camino, and is located before Campomanes. I have my fingers crossed that it succeeds.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Play spot the arrow and see which ones you'd have trouble finding under snow! These pics were early June.
And one spot-the-children picture just for fun. They'd be easier to see in the snow!
It truly is a beautiful camino.

Attachments

• IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • Camino 2014 2014-06-08 024.JPG
    Camino 2014 2014-06-08 024.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • Camino 2014 2014-06-08 028.JPG
    Camino 2014 2014-06-08 028.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
  • Camino 2014 2014-06-08 040.JPG
    Camino 2014 2014-06-08 040.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • Camino 2014 2014-06-09 020.JPG
    Camino 2014 2014-06-09 020.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • Camino 2014 2014-06-09 033.JPG
    Camino 2014 2014-06-09 033.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • Camino 2014 2014-06-08 043.JPG
    Camino 2014 2014-06-08 043.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

James:

I started walking as soon as I picked up the Salvador passport in the Leon Albergue. My method of knocking out jet lag. I only walked to Cabanillas. This is a town of 20 but it has an excellent Albergue. No food or bar, so have something with you. Buiza is another small village without a bar or food source. It does have a very nice Albergue. Poladura de la Tercia does not have food or bar and the Albergue is poor, imo. That said, there is a Casa Rural, listed in the guide, that will put you up and feed you. You should call ahead. Buiza to Arbas del Puerto is the most likely area to encounter snow, imo. After that there was plenty of mud until Pola de Lena.

I chose a poor time to walk and would not recommend walking in the snow and fog. That said, it is a beautiful solitary walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

I'm really appreciative of the all advice (and photos) I've been given on this thread. @peregrina2000, the guide you linked me to appears really clear & comprehensive and should be a great planning resource. I've made a note of your thoughts re accommodation options and also your kind offer to act as an intermediary with Ender, the local weather man. @jpflavin1, many thanks for letting me know about the potentially most dangerous stages of the route, and for the end-of-day stages that worked for you. You say you walked at a poor time - when was that, exactly? I'll be checking out the footwear recommendations you made, too, and I guess I'll need to pack the thermals this time. @Kiwi-family, lovely photos! Would you consider hiring out the children for a week? @AJ, the stretch between Poladura and Campomanes/Pajares will receive extra-special respect and scrutiny.

The cautionary words from all posters are duly noted. Would bringing the dates forward to mid-November make a material difference in your opinion?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm really appreciative of the all advice (and photos) I've been given on this thread. @peregrina2000, the guide you linked me to appears really clear & comprehensive and should be a great planning resource. I've made a note of your thoughts re accommodation options and also your kind offer to act as an intermediary with Ender, the local weather man. @jpflavin1, many thanks for letting me know about the potentially most dangerous stages of the route, and for the end-of-day stages that worked for you. You say you walked at a poor time - when was that, exactly? I'll be checking out the footwear recommendations you made, too, and I guess I'll need to pack the thermals this time. @Kiwi-family, lovely photos! Would you consider hiring out the children for a week? @AJ, the stretch between Poladura and Campomanes/Pajares will receive extra-special respect and scrutiny.

The cautionary words from all posters are duly noted. Would bringing the dates forward to mid-November make a material difference in your opinion?

James:

I walked the first week in April 2013. I was informed there was snow but only thigh high, before departure. I have posted quite a bit on my walk under the Salvador thread.

340.JPG 341.JPG 351.JPG 354.JPG 358.JPG 360.JPG
Here are a few pictures from my walk. Notice the yellow arrow, under water, in first picture.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi, James,
I suppose that the risk of snow is less the earlier you go, but when I walked the Salvador/Primitivo for the first time in 2008 or 9, I left from León in late September. No snow on the Salvador, but on the Primitivo (now in early October) snow fell at higher elevations (we never had to walk through it, but we saw it in the distance -- one day, just plain old mountains, the next day, fairly substantial snow cover). I think it`s very possible that there was snow on the Salvador within a week or so of my passing through. But not likely to be the kind of huge snowfall jpflavin had to deal with.

Joe, I guess there won't be too much of a difference between early-December and April, so your photos are extremely helpful in providing a realistic preview of the walking conditions I should expect to encounter. I'll search out your Salvador posts to find out more.
James
ps - I have lots of family in The Windy City, so you should be well used to harsh winter conditions living there!

€46,-
@peregrina2000, I accept it is almost impossible to predict the weather from one day to the next in this part of the world, but I suppose I'm looking for crumbs of comfort re the prospect of experiencing more benign weather on my planned dates. Thank-you for indulging me in this regard.

Joe, I guess there won't be too much of a difference between early-December and April, so your photos are extremely helpful in providing a realistic preview of the walking conditions I should expect to encounter. I'll search out your Salvador posts to find out more.
James
ps - I have lots of family in The Windy City, so you should be well used to harsh winter conditions living there!

James:

I am used to harsher Winter conditions but not in a foreign mountainous environment. I believe I posted after that day in the mountains that I recommend others wait for better conditions. Another aspect of the Salvador is that it is unlikely that someone will be coming along behind you.

No one can predict the weather but I think November should be less harsh than December.

Checking with Ender, through Laurie, would be a good idea before departing.

Ultreya,
Joe

Please excuse my ignorance. Snow drifts of 4 metres have been mentioned. What is a snow drift? Does it mean walking on top of 4 metres of snow, or across 4 meters of some snow? Thank you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Please excuse my ignorance. Snow drifts of 4 metres have been mentioned. What is a snow drift? Does it mean walking on top of 4 metres of snow, or across 4 meters of some snow? Thank you.

Anemone:

I posted some pictures. A snow drift is a deposit of snow sculpted by the wind into a mound during a snowstorm. It would resemble a sand dune.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So... Can't walk over them, just in them?

The ones I encountered were frozen by rain. Without snow trax I could not climb. I walked to the peak and slid down the backside on my pack. A bit risky (twisted or broken ankle a possibility) but I had no alternative. If not frozen you can climb them.

Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.