• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Salvador, just back from walking

Josefine

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés Primitivo Aragonés/Francés, Portugues Fisterra/Muxia Norte San Salvador Via Gebennesis
Hi everybody,

Just want to tell you all that I walked the camino del Salvador starting March 26 and I think this is the greatest camino ever. I already walked the French, the Portuguese, the Primitivo and the Aragonés but Camino del Salvador beats everything. I went with a friend who had knee surgery and didn't want to push it so we took 8 days which was a very wise decision. We went through snow up to our waist, losts and lots of mud and water on the trail so the short distances took a long time, but we had good weather, some sun, no snow and little rain. And it was so gorgeous, so amazing, so beautiful and so magic. This will be the camino I will walk again, I just have to close my eyes to see the mountains!!

We met Ender/Jose Antonio ( who marked this camino) a couple of times so we knew what to expect, I heard since we finished it there has been more snow and bad weather so those of you who may plan to walk it, take care, check the weather reports, don't walk alone in bad weather.

I will back walk it again as soon as possible/Josefine

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Would you be happy walking this route with an 8-year-old?

Sorry, but personally I think I would not go with a child, the path is really tricky in some parts, the weather is unpredictable and it's a really hard walk so I can't really see an 8 year old coping with those mountains.
Josefine

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Josefine said:
Sorry, but personally I think I would not go with a child, the path is really tricky in some parts, the weather is unpredictable and it's a really hard walk so I can't really see an 8 year old coping with those mountains.
Josefine

Do you mind explaining what "really tricky" entails?
If we were doing it in June, would the weather be any less unpredictable?
If we took it slowly, would you feel differently (eg to Cabanillas 18.3km, La Robla 9, Buiza 14.9, Poladura 8.7, Pajares 13.4, Campomanes 16.8, Pola de Lena 7.1, Mieres 13.5, Oviedo 17.9)

We hike at home and it's all in mountains with the odd bit of beach-walking. This particular child has been able to walk 20km with 800m or so total ascent for about a year and a half now (she's about to turn 7). She occasionally complains when we walk 5km to the library!

Just wondering if any of that information would make you inclined to think differently - if not, I will listen to you. Would you take 10 and 11 year olds, who are accustomed to walking 30km with 5kg packs?

Thanks for your assistance.

I guess if your children are used to walking and hiking like you describe you could all enjoy this camino in good weather, especially since you plan on shorter stages. As parents you know what your children can cope with and what they would enjoy doing. But I insist I would not take a child to cross these mountains in bad weather, getting lost wouldn't be too hard.
I wish you a great camino, if you decide on June we might meet.
Josefine

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, kiwi-family,
I agree with Reb that your kids will be fine on the Salvador. There is a pretty remote stretch in between Poladura and Pajares, but Ender has marked it so well with his metal arrows and conch shells that there is very little occasion to get lost. Even if you were up there in very dense fog, the markings are close enough to each other that the group could stay at one arrow till you got ahead and found the next one and then came back to get them. (This is also what I would recommend on the Hospitales route in the Primitivo, where the markings are also so incredibly close together).

Reb's right, it's going to be amazing in June. I was there early last June and could hardly contain myself. I had been through in Oct. several years earlier and though the blackberries were a real treat, it just didn't compare with the amazing scenery of June.

Bet you can't wait -- is it 2013 or 2014? Buen camino, Laurie

2014, but month not yet decided. Having already walked in September, I am keen for a different season and don't mind heat so May/June was my original thought...although the weather is still looking so iffy now in mid-April that I'm thinking June/July might be more prudent!

I was pretty set on doing the Frances as far as Leon, then up the del Salvador, across the Primitivo to Meilde and back on the Frances to Santiago. Josefine's warning had me wondering, but I'm now fairly confident we'd be OK. Big question remaining is whether to start in Dax or do the loop from Barcelona to the monastery at Montserrat and on to Manresa and back first (wanting to get milage up to 1,000km). Trying to find about accommodation - price will be a strong motivator - if only we knew we could sleep in churches or pensions and not be stuck in big hotels.

Kiwi-Family:

My first thought would be to say I do not think this is a good route for an 8 year old. That said, you have walked the Frances as a family, I believe this is a doable route by your child.

The fact that you plan to break it down into short days is also a good idea. The difficult part of the route is between Buiza and Campomanes. The time of the year you choose will also be a contributing factor. Possibly May/June time frame. The route is well marked.

Another caution, some of the Albergue's are in towns without a bar, restaurant or store so you will have to carry food at times.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back