• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Sur Huelva to Zafra

susan76

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP September/October 2016
Hi all, I'm looking for some more information on the Camino del Sur from Huelva to Zafra (7 day walk). Can't find much information about it... I'm looking into the possibility to do this camino in the beginning of November, since it is in the far south of Spain and the weather might still be good enough. Anyone who has walked this route recently?

Thanks in advance. Susan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband and I walked camino del sur in 2011 and then Aracena to Zafra a couple of years later. My info might be out of date but I can try and help. It's an interesting route along the disused train track but I remember after that some uncomfortable, busy road walking. I'll consult my references and get back to you Susan.

I have a collection of waymarkings for almost the Caminos. Before embarking on a camino I would:

1. Download Maps.me (Android or iPhone app). Load the offline map of Spain (at least for the area or region that I would be walking). Load the waymarkings track (kml file) onto the app. Use it together with GPS (or cell signal pre-paid Spanish SIM) when I am walking occasionally to see where I am.

2. Find out more about the distance, towns, albergue (lodgings), etc.

Can't help much on the second point ( I have walked that) but I can help on the first.
I've loaded the kml on My Maps (Google) and it seems to start west of Huelva. Have a look at the link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1giG0cKpOHyzDL66yWkEycYIzJEk&usp=sharing

Hope that helps in your planning on the route.
If you want that kml tracks also on the mobile here's the link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/163q902sf5qmqe3/Camino del Sur.kml?dl=0

Cheers...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The signed route we took started in Huelva city.

Susan, we were given a 30 page printed guide (in Spanish... GUAI Camino Sur Huelva-Zafra) , available from the Association of Friends of the Camino de Santiago HUELVA. Printed inside our 2011 copy, it suggests contacting Fernando Quintero, President of the Association de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Huelva (630250255).

There's an address and different numbers for the Editor:
Asociacion de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Huelva,
Casa de Galicia, Avda., Alemania, 26 bajo - 21001 - HUELVA
TEL: 959 241829 (between 6-9pm)

I'm trusting these numbers are still valid. This was the only guide book we had plus a very useful list of all accommodation details for all along the Camino del Sur to Zafra. Some of these details will have changed but hopefully there's an updated list. We contacted earlier and phoned from Huelva and one of the Amigos, a very friendly helpful man, came along to the Hotel Monte where we were staying to deliver the guides etc. There would surely be an email address now.

We had some fun and made a few mistakes translating the Spanish so that was not good, but the maps of each stage are brilliant, folksy and detailed. I could try and scan or photograph at least the maps and email them to you, Susan. The route map starts from Huelva on my guide, slightly different from Evanlow's link and map. I don't know anything about the route starting from Isla Cristina. Perhaps they link up at Trigueros.

This guide is a booklet with colour photos and maps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks a lot, I will look into it. Not sure yet if I will make it in November (bit worried about the weather, not a big fan of rain for example), so I don't want you to go through any trouble scanning just yet! I found their website (https://www.caminodesantiagohuelva.com/) and it looks like I can download a guide there! Great, thanks again!

Excellent Susan. Happy planning. Could be pretty cold and wet in November.

I've just checked that website and it's the same guide I have, maps and all. Well done. Buen camino.

Last edited:
Hi Susan, the RayyRosa site has some basic information and GPS tracks. Another one for my growing list!

Happy planning and Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Andy/Staggerlee, for jolting my poor memory. Your info on the stream (above) will be great for Susan. Buen camino, Carole

Hallo allemaal, ik ben op zoek naar wat meer informatie over de Camino del Sur van Huelva naar Zafra (7 dagen wandelen). Kan er niet veel informatie over vinden... Ik ben op zoek naar de mogelijkheid om deze camino begin november te doen, aangezien het in het uiterste zuiden van Spanje is en het weer misschien nog goed genoeg is. Iemand die deze route onlangs heeft gelopen? Alvast bedankt. Susano zo
Suzanne ik ben benieuwd of je de camino del sur gelopen hebt en hoe die je is bevallen. Heb je eventueel nog info voor me. Groet, Albert

[Edited by moderator to add translation:

Suzanne I am curious if you have walked the camino del sur and how you liked it. Do you have any information for me. Regards, Albert]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all, I'm looking for some more information on the Camino del Sur from Huelva to Zafra (7 day walk). Can't find much information about it... I'm looking into the possibility to do this camino in the beginning of November, since it is in the far south of Spain and the weather might still be good enough. Anyone who has walked this route recently?

Thanks in advance. Susan
Alvaro Lazaga Busto has a good video of all the stages of the Camino del Sur on his Youtube channel.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back