• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Sur / Huelva to Zafra

CaroleH

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
In spring, 2011 we will walk the Camino del Sur from Huelva, joining the Vdlp at Zafra. I have a few questions about accomodation from anyone who may have walked this route recently.

1) Pilgrim refuges in Ayuntamientos on this route: . . . Most towns seem to offer this facility. Has anyone used them? Is there usually hot running water? How basic are they?

2) I have the lists of other accomodation on the Camino Sur from Mundicamino. Anyone have recommendations for certain hostals, casa rurals, restaurants, etc along the way, that they tried and found good or to be avoided? Would appreciate any advice on the Camino Sur. :roll:

Thanks in advance. Carole

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hallo carole,
have no experience on the Camino del Sur,but our (my wife and i) experience
on other Caminos (last being the Levante last may) just shows that you have to be prepared to a very wide range of situations....
accomodation offred by the adjuntamiento can be on the floor mats in the local gym (having to wait after evening basketball match) to floor in the main town hall with fab bathrooms ,or floor maths in the local swimming pool, or great little cozy room with private bathroom in the adjuntamiento itself....
In any case make sure to call ahead and get the details of who's got the keys and at what time these keys can be picked up (often at the local police or at the town hall)
Wish you all the best
Giorgio and Elisa

Hi.
I tried to walk the Camino del Sur in 2009 but had a broken rib and gave it up. I would like to try it again.
Did you finally do it? If so, would you like to give me some info?
In 2009 it was very badly indicated and there were no refuges. The contact people on the guide did never answer or were unavailable. Only one of them was there. A reallly good pilgrim living in Valverde del Camino. Very nice guy.

On one occasion I was lucky: in La Vieja Caldera, a very beautiful casa rural run by a former pilgrim. This was by Zalamea la Real(http://www.orangesmile.com/booking/en/s ... -vieja.htm)

Hope to read from you soon.
Momo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back