• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino diary, before and after

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago May 2018
May 19, 2018. I leave tomorrow. I’m sick to my stomach, afraid to go. What am I forgetting? What if I can’t do it? What if I’ve wasted all this time and money? Practice walk yesterday. 5 miles with full pack. Glacial pace. Can’t walk far enough, fast enough, to get the Compostela in the time I have, so why go? Do half this year, half later? It’ll never work, I’ve rescheduled this one several times already. Walk partway, taxi the rest, lie to the Church to get the Compostela? Can’t lie to God and nobody else matters. This is stupid. Why am I going? To accomplish something none of my friends or family have done? Why? Who cares? Too much thinking. Just go. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, pray for the rest.

June 1, 2018. I’m sitting in the airport clutching my Compostela, unwilling to let it out of my sight in checked luggage. I used Mark McCarthy’s “Sarria to Santiago” in Kindle format and his “Very Short Stages” spreadsheet on the Camino Forum and not only did I do it, I had an absolutely awesome time. Mark’s work, the encouragement from people I met on the Camino, and the support of my family back home, made my dream possible. People are walking past me looking at an old man crying in the airport, wondering if they should ask if I’m okay. Oh yes, I’m okay. I’m so very, very okay. But thanks for asking. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• 20180611_075344.jpg
    20180611_075344.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 237
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
May 19, 2018. I leave tomorrow. I’m sick to my stomach, afraid to go. What am I forgetting? What if I can’t do it? What if I’ve wasted all this time and money? Practice walk yesterday. 5 miles with full pack. Glacial pace. Can’t walk far enough, fast enough, to get the Compostela in the time I have, so why go? Do half this year, half later? It’ll never work, I’ve rescheduled this one several times already. Walk partway, taxi the rest, lie to the Church to get the Compostela? Can’t lie to God and nobody else matters. This is stupid. Why am I going? To accomplish something none of my friends or family have done? Why? Who cares? Too much thinking. Just go. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, pray for the rest.

June 1, 2018. I’m sitting in the airport clutching my Compostela, unwilling to let it out of my sight. I used Mark McCarthy’s “Sarria to Santiago” in Kindle format and his “Very Short Stages” spreadsheet on the Camino Forum and not only did I do it, I had an absolutely awesome time. Mark’s work, the encouragement from people I met on the Camino, and the support of my family back home, made my dream possible. People are walking past me looking at an old man crying in the airport, wondering if they should ask if I’m okay. Oh yes, I’m okay. I’m so very, very okay. But thanks for asking. Buen Camino.
What an achievement! Congratulations! Thanks for your excellent post.
Hey, not so old man! Just managed to open the photo. Not old at all!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ohhh, I recognize some of those stamps! :)
Congrats on the achievement! Long stages, short stages, cheetah or snail pace, it does not matter! You walked the camino and that's awesome!
I also cried some of my happiest tears when I finished my camino, and it was exactly the same: "are you ok, ma'am?" "I'm actually feeling great righ now, sir".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

June 1, 2018. I’m sitting in the airport clutching my Compostela, unwilling to let it out of my sight in checked luggage. I used Mark McCarthy’s “Sarria to Santiago” in Kindle format and his “Very Short Stages” spreadsheet on the Camino Forum and not only did I do it, I had an absolutely awesome time. Mark’s work, the encouragement from people I met on the Camino, and the support of my family back home, made my dream possible. People are walking past me looking at an old man crying in the airport, wondering if they should ask if I’m okay. Oh yes, I’m okay. I’m so very, very okay. But thanks for asking. Buen Camino.

This is such an inspiring post. I’ve had to put off my planned Camino several times for family reasons and I had begun to experience doubts because of my age, that I would never make it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Blessings from an woman sitting in Porto with sore feet, stumbling along on the Caminho Portuguese. Stayed an extra night in this hostel and will get to the next stop tomorrow somehow. Tylenol by mouth, voltaren on feet, checking “stuff” yet again to see what I could abandon. Have I been totally idiotic to think I can do this? Thanks for your report!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Blessings from an woman sitting in Porto with sore feet, stumbling along on the Caminho Portuguese. Stayed an extra night in this hostel and will get to the next stop tomorrow somehow. Tylenol by mouth, voltaren on feet, checking “stuff” yet again to see what I could abandon. Have I been totally idiotic to think I can do this? Thanks for your report!
Maybe you could post it on, instead of abandon... I hope that by tomorrow morning you will be feeling better. Do you have plenty of time? Slow down. No, you are not idiotic. Have I the right to say that? Are you? I doubt it. Breathe in, turn around, face the direction of the arrows, and sing: I love to go wandering among the mountain track, and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back... etc! Sleep and see how you are in the morning. And then, off you go.

Jane, I feel your feet aching all the way over here! I'm too old and fat to walk traditional stages. I chose the Sarria to Santiago stretch because Mark McCarthy posted a detailed guide in "Resources" showing how to walk shorter distances each day, then take a taxi to your hotel. Next day, taxi back to where you left off. The rule says you must walk every step of The Way; it does not say you must walk them all today.

You're not on the Frances but the same concepts apply. Buy a small sack, divide your stuff, send most of it ahead using mochila transfer, carry only what you need for today, walk as far as you can and when you reach your limit for the day, ask the bartender to call you a taxi while you rest your feet enjoying a glass of wine until he arrives. Okay, yes, your Camino going to cost a few Euros more but at this point, does that matter? Do what you need to do, seek the help you need to seek, so you can finish the camino and achieve your goal. YOU CAN DO THIS! Best wishes . . . .

Well, Jane, how are you doing? We are biting our nails waiting to hear!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, Jane, how are you doing? We are biting our nails waiting to hear!

Thank you! I’ve made it to Ponte de Lima and am now sitting at an outdoor cafe looking down the street to the Lima river. I have walked (got compression socks to wear on the plane and find they are helping my swollen ankles), taken bus and/or train, taxi. SO enjoying being back in Portugal and just doing my best Caminho wise. When I told my cardiologist what I was going to do, he just gave me a look and wished me well . If I don’t feel I have earned a Compostela when I get to Santiago I will not ask for one but am collecting the lovely stamps and having my own kind of Caminho. Feeling the spiritual aspects more this time. And the fellow travelers. Dinner at an Albergue the other night with 9 others-6 nationalities I think. Heart warming conversation. I will just stop now.

It took me 3 evenings of work to prepare the short stages guide. It was after work and I was really really tired and unsure if it would ever be used but now I feel humbled to have made such a small contribution to a truly wonderful achievement. Truly Thank You Nate! You are a true pilgrim!

It took me 3 evenings of work to prepare the short stages guide. It was after work and I was really really tired and unsure if it would ever be used but now I feel humbled to have made such a small contribution to a truly wonderful achievement. Truly Thank You Nate! You are a true pilgrim!
Hi Mark. Do you have a link to the short stages guide document please?
Thank you!!

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back