• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Discovering a Hidden Treasure: Camino Poster from the 1980s Found in Closet

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have been diligently emptying the contents of several closets in my house that are crammed with all sorts of junk. It is tedious, but every now and then there is a moment of pleasure.

Today, way back in a corner, there was a dusty cardboard tube, sent from Spain, with a date from some illegible year in the 1980s. Inside was a national tourism office poster highlighting the Camino. Do any of you other old-timers remember the days when the Spanish Tourist Office would send you gorgeous posters for decorating your college dorm rooms? What a treat to come across this treasure.

D641B581-3F59-4154-B059-34055E0D874C.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow...I'd be framing it for sure...a treasure indeed! 🤗
👣 🌏
That’s my reaction as well, except for the fact that the reason that I am cleaning out closets is because we are going to move to new living quarters that are less than half the size of our current place. But I think I need to make an exception here, because you are right, it is really beautiful.

Laurie,
What a great find! Perhaps you will be able to read/see the impact of similar images here.

I know that the Spanish government, while it was still ostracized by the UN during Franco’s years, made a huge investment in tourism. When I studied in Madrid in 1970, I remember going to the official Ministerio de Turismo in the huge Nuevos Ministerios complex on the Castellana, and getting (for free) lots of high quality posters like the one in my closet.

The practice must have been continued at least through the 80s, because the one in my closet was sent to me in the US from Spain. I must have used them to decorate my grad student office and somehow decided to keep this one, even though walking the Camino was not very present in my mind at that point. Ah, the memories…..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been diligently emptying the contents of several closets in my house that are crammed with all sorts of junk. It is tedious, but every now and then there is a moment of pleasure.

Today, way back in a corner, there was a dusty cardboard tube, sent from Spain, with a date from some illegible year in the 1980s. Inside was a national tourism office poster highlighting the Camino. Do any of you other old-timers remember the days when the Spanish Tourist Office would send you gorgeous posters for decorating your college dorm rooms? What a treat to come across this treasure.

View attachment 116332
So jealous.

View attachment 116332
So very jealous

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That’s my reaction as well, except for the fact that the reason that I am cleaning out closets is because we are going to move to new living quarters that are less than half the size of our current place. But I think I need to make an exception here, because you are right, it is really beautiful.
Understand your dilemma @peregrina2000. I downsized by 75% a few years back requiring some ruthless decision making. But you will still have some wall space in the new abode even if you have to get creative! Absolutely worth an exception.
Good luck with the move; I'm still amazed how happy I am in a much smaller living space...less upkeep & cleaning a bonus but learning not to accumulate 'stuff' (a lesson from walking the Camino) is a joy..very freeing! 🤗
👣 🌏

View attachment 116332
What a lovely treasure to come across, wonderful memories 😄💞

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In May 2021, I sought comfort and counsel from a pastor in Wilmington, a small community in eastern North Carolina, USA. Not being from that area, I gravitated to the Moravian church, as I knew that faith from my childhood. Upon entering the pastor's office, I was greeted with this very poster. It, and he, were a great a comfort to me as I'm sure I had stayed in at least one of those cathedrals when I walked the CF in 2019. One never knows when Camino memories and solace will appear. May you find peace on your journey.
Buen Camino, Bartman

View attachment 116332
Wow im so jealous. What an amazing find. Hope u have room ih n your home to show it off to advantage

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.