• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino documentary on US PBS TV during 2018-2019

Time of past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
The PBS channel World is showing the documentary Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago.

Edit: It may be showing in your area as I write this. The shedule in your area may be the same as for New Hampshire. See https://nhpbs.org/schedule/series.aspx?progName=Walking+The+Camino:+Six+Ways+to+Santiago

The documentary's webpage at http://caminodocumentary.org/current-airings/ says:

Walking the Camino is available, for free, to all PBS stations around the country starting December 15th, 2018. Each individual station will decide if/when they will air it over the next two years.
Some stations have added it to their December schedules already and on December 18th, we have a national release on PBS World Channel which is carried by 155 partner PBS stations. World Channel will be featuring Walking the Camino between December 18th and December 23rd. We anticipate many other stations will be featuring the documentary in 2019 as well.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suppose you can find a pirated version somewhere online but the televised version will be better to watch with friends and family. I saw a preliminary version of the film in a theater and I bought a DVD of it from Ivar's store. Make sure you order the version that plays in your country.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Rick: This was the movie that started it for my wife ... which led to me! It played to sold out screenings in 2014 at the Newport Beach (Ca) Film Festival. Much like I'll Push You did again in 2017. There must be something to this Camino thing?!:p

Hey Rick: This was the movie that started it for my wife ... which led to me!
It had the opposite effect in Boston in late 2014 or early 2015. The producer was there and before the screening she asked for a show of hands of those who were interested in walking the camino (we were.) After the screening she asked for hands of those still interested in doing it. There were fewer. She said the difference varied from city to city.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It had the opposite effect in Boston in late 2014 or early 2015. The producer was there and before the screening she asked for a show of hands of those who were interested in walking the camino (we were.) After the screening she asked for hands of those still interested in doing it. There were fewer. She said the difference varied from city to city.
That's interesting, I know I had dreamt of doing the Camino de Santiago for a very long time, then I watched the Way and it very nearly turned me off of doing it. Thankfully I walked

I have to say it's not a favourite of mine, at all. Maybe I need to watch it again, if only to understand why.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Saw this in a cinema before Camino #1 - thought it interesting but doubted it as a genuine documentary. Could a pram/pusher really make it 800km and still be usable?; and the closing scene of the two 'friends' at Cape Finisterre just a bit too cheesy....

After Camino #1 and #2, I think it of light entertainment and not worth a second viewing. The Way, for all is artistic licence, is worth the second and third viewing.

Saw this in a cinema before Camino #1 - thought it interesting but doubted it as a genuine documentary. Could a pram/pusher really make it 800km and still be usable?; and the closing scene of the two 'friends' at Cape Finisterre just a bit too cheesy....

After Camino #1 and #2, I think it of light entertainment and not worth a second viewing. The Way, for all is artistic licence, is worth the second and third viewing.

That's an interesting comment. How many times have you watched a specific Camino movie.

For me:

The Way. I have lost count. 20+
To the end of the World. (Hank Leukart) 5+
To where God Dwells. Great movie. Buy on Vimeo. (OK not a camino but a loooong walk) 3
The Way by Overlander.tv 2-3
Phil's Camino. Bought the DVD. Great. 2

Looking for Infinity. Bought the DVD. Never finished it.

Six Ways to Santiago. I bought the DVD. Never finished watching it.........

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I searched all the PBS channels her in South Florida. There are maybe a dozen PBS channels available on my Comcast / Xfinity cable system. However, this program is not in any of the program listings. It IS available on demand though.

But, when I started drilling down on this and watched the 30 second trailer, I realized that I gave the DVD in my collection and have seen the film... Doh!

I searched all the PBS channels her in South Florida. There are maybe a dozen PBS channels available on my Comcast / Xfinity cable system. However, this program is not in any of the program listings. It IS available on demand though.

But, when I started drilling down on this and watched the 30 second trailer, I realized that I gave the DVD in my collection and have seen the film... Doh![/QUOTE

It was on yesterday morning at 9:00 AM here in Naples via the Fort Myers PBS channel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's an interesting comment. How many times have you watched a specific Camino movie.

For me:

The Way. I have lost count. 20+
To the end of the World. (Hank Leukart) 5+
To where God Dwells. Great movie. Buy on Vimeo. (OK not a camino but a loooong walk) 3
The Way by Overlander.tv 2-3
Phil's Camino. Bought the DVD. Great. 2

Looking for Infinity. Bought the DVD. Never finished it.

Six Ways to Santiago. I bought the DVD. Never finished watching it.........
Oh good! I now have a few more possibilities of quality videos to hopefully watch.

We love 6 Ways to Santiago! If you watch this week you will see major portions from Granon where Phil and I are serving right now! The scenes in the Albergue where pilgrims are helping together prepare a meal, scences with the boy and his mother at church and one of the meditation scenes were all filmed here.

The cut shown on NH PBS station should have been renamed to "FIVE Ways to Santiago". All parts of Pilgrim Misa from Denmark were cut out of the movie. This includes the ending scene on the beach in Finisterre.

Any idea why? Was it simply a time restriction?

-Paul

Last edited:

€46,-
Things look better than I thought. The documentary's webpage at http://caminodocumentary.org/current-airings/ says:

Walking the Camino is available, for free, to all PBS stations around the country starting December 15th, 2018. Each individual station will decide if/when they will air it over the next two years.
Some stations have added it to their December schedules already and on December 18th, we have a national release on PBS World Channel which is carried by 155 partner PBS stations. World Channel will be featuring Walking the Camino between December 18th and December 23rd. We anticipate many other stations will be featuring the documentary in 2019 as well.
The review for the documentary at Rotten Tomatoes gives it a tomatometer rating of 89% with 17 giving it a fresh rating and 2 a rotten rating. The audience score is 83% with an average score of 4.3/5

I'll try to update the first post and thread title.

In other news:

The review for the documentary at Rotten Tomatoes gives it a tomatometer rating of 89% with 17 giving it a fresh rating and 2 a rotten rating. The audience score is 83% with an average score of 4.3/5

I couldn't find what happened to Misa.

I do watch The Way quite a lot but its when I'm hooked up at the Red Cross donation center for a couple hours and I haven't had time to pick a different DVD to watch. The Way is a perfect two hours and the bright yellow case makes it easy to find.

The PBS channel World is showing the documentary Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago.

Edit: It may be showing in your area as I write this. The shedule in your area may be the same as for New Hampshire. See https://nhpbs.org/schedule/series.aspx?progName=Walking+The+Camino:+Six+Ways+to+Santiago

The documentary's webpage at http://caminodocumentary.org/current-airings/ says:

I watched this!!! It took me back to my Camino and I relived each moment all over again. I really enjoyed it!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I must have watched this about 10 times and still find it inspiring. I think I bought it from I-tunes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here is a 3.5 minute sampler of what I feel is one of the best video series on the CF. Some objected to his use of a drone but there are shots in his videos that are amazing. Well worth watching.

Day 1 of the series starts here.

My local library had the full DVD. It was wonderful watching it multiple times before returning it.

€46,-
Decent movie I suppose. Watched it when it first came out, and again on television. I do not view it as a documentary as it is obviously staged quite a bit, and one of the six pilgrims featured is actually a producer of it. So definitely some acting involved there.
Nonetheless, worth a view for anybody. Entertaining for sure.

I found it hard to believe that anyone could push a stroller/pram along the Camino for 500 miles. In the Bonus DVD, Pilgrim Tatiana explains that she was a soldier. I suspect that she could out run me, even with the stroller/pram!

Pilgrim Annie is not an actor but is listed as a Co-Producer of the film. She has written her own book about the Camino and produced her own film, “Phil’s Camino”. http://philscamino.com/

Lydia B. Smith, the Director/Producer, also appears in the film in a few cameo scenes. In an interview, I believe that she said that she got the idea to do the film while walking her own Camino. She also explained that a large sum of money had to be fundraised from donations to get the film shown on PBS.

-Paul

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back