• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino dos Faros - suitable footwear?

HKel

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino dos Faros (2017)
Hello! We are walking some of the Camino dos Faros this September. We only have about 4 days to walk, and we won't have hiking boots - only trail running shoes. Are certain sections of the Camino dos Faros more suitable for these shoes, that we can fit into approximately 4 days walking? We are happy to take taxi's or public transport in between sections if needed. Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am so uncoordianted I would bring crampons and spiderman webs. :p

When you come back, please post and let us knlw morw about it as there is little next to nothing about it here.

Have a wonderful time. The views will be just wild.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The route comprises of 200km of coastal footpaths marked with small, green arrows so in places be careful they are not as easy to see as the larger, yellow Camino de Santiago arrows and many are on the ground so look down frequently !!
So the most usual surface is coastal footpath sometimes there may be some scree from the cliffs or shrub undergrowth and occasionally tarmac, wooden walkway or stone...surfaces we are all used to...It could be wet so wear waterproof ones, preferably light so trekking are ideal.

If you haven't found it already you may find this link useful http://www.caminodosfaros.com/en/
Thanks for the link :)
yep I've seen this page and perhaps my question should instead ask how cautious is the advice given on there? Do all Camino dos Faros stages need boots?

We are hike-fit, if that helps.... if sections are boots-only difficulty then we can avoid them. Cheers!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The route comprises of 200km of coastal footpaths marked with small, green arrows so in places be careful they are not as easy to see as the larger, yellow Camino de Santiago arrows and many are on the ground so look down frequently !!
So the most usual surface is coastal footpath sometimes there may be some scree from the cliffs or shrub undergrowth and occasionally tarmac, wooden walkway or stone...surfaces we are all used to...It could be wet so wear waterproof ones, preferably light so trekking are ideal.
Thank you!

Sure glad I read the above question................I had no idea the was such a Camino ! Thanks !

Hello! We are walking some of the Camino dos Faros this September. We only have about 4 days to walk, and we won't have hiking boots - only trail running shoes. Are certain sections of the Camino dos Faros more suitable for these shoes, that we can fit into approximately 4 days walking? We are happy to take taxi's or public transport in between sections if needed. Thank you in advance :)
Hi - delighted to hear you are planning this. We picked up a brochure about it last October in Muxia and wanted to do it. We managed to "talk" ourselves into coming back this past spring, doing the Norte from Irun, then picking up the Primativo in Oviedo, etc, to Santiago. We became tourists on the Norte for a few days visiting Las Cavas de Bustillo (15,000 year old cave paintings!!!) and the Dinosaur Museum (how often do you get to walk in dinosaur footprints on the beach) so also only had 4 days on El Camino dos Faros. So - great experience, one we would love to go back and do more of. To answer your question, I did it all in hiking sandals, my husband in trail runners, pretty worn out on the soles by that time. A few times I wish I had had something sturdier, but for 5 minutes here or there, the same as on the other two caminos. We walked Laxe/Arou/Camarinos/Muxia. Figuring out the bus schedule was arduous, as there aren't many and no one seemed to know if any existed (autobus info in Santiago, Galician tourist office there minimal, but most helpful was Santiago tourist office who called bus companies for us and gave us schedules to Carballo (AUCASA E5.70, 14:45 from SdC, arriving at 16:00)). That connected with a minibus by autocaresvasquesz.net I believe. There's a schedule in the bus station window in Carballo. And they only run a couple of times a week, and of course we had a flight home to catch! So the only thing that made sense was to get off the bus in Laxe, not Malpica. In Laxe we did a booking.com at Hostal Residencia Bahia, with balcony overlooking the harbor. Maybe E50? Great, as was the owner who knew a woman in Arou who had an apartment she rented. Maybe E50 for that also for the two of us. And she and her husband, who is French, cooked us dinner - fried fish, potatoes, salad, bread and wine, for E10 each. Excellent. The bar in town is pretty basic, as is Arou! So buy groceries in Laxe. Next night we stayed in Camarinas at Hotel O Paranda, E45, tucked just up and around the corner at the right end of the harbor. Very nice room and owner again.
As for the walking - incredible sea views and overall scenery. At times the path was extremely narrow/overgrown and a bit prickly (we were wearing shorts), other times a piece of cake. Some roads, some beach walking, ups and downs. One in particular had us going up a steep sandy gully only to come down the same on the other side. I essentially skied it laughing all the way. There is a path that hugs the coast if you want to avoid that. The English cematary is very thought-provoking, especially all the stones piled up in mini monuments to those lost at sea. The walk out to Faro Vilan was long but so worthwhile. The restaurant is closed 12-3 I believe. The route from Camarinas I wouldn't really recommend unless you want to do the entire camino. It follows the estuary all the way, the first part on narrow paths, then the eastern bank on roads. We lost our way somewhere here, found it again and realized we were on the Camino again coming in from Santiago! Quite a shock to see arrows again! And peregrinos!
I realize we may be the first on the forum to do this route, which I highly recommend, so as we remember more details, can post them if anyone is interested, especially the places we lost the trail. And I have pictures! Sorry, didn't mean to write so much. Buen camino, Cherry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And please pm me if you'd like more info, etc - C

4 days you can do it in bare feet. I climbed the reek or irelands holy mountain in my bare feet yesterday. Ten people in total without footwear and its loose stone all the way. Beach and seawater today

Hi - delighted to hear you are planning this. We picked up a brochure about it last October in Muxia and wanted to do it. We managed to "talk" ourselves into coming back this past spring, doing the Norte from Irun, then picking up the Primativo in Oviedo, etc, to Santiago. We became tourists on the Norte for a few days visiting Las Cavas de Bustillo (15,000 year old cave paintings!!!) and the Dinosaur Museum (how often do you get to walk in dinosaur footprints on the beach) so also only had 4 days on El Camino dos Faros. So - great experience, one we would love to go back and do more of. To answer your question, I did it all in hiking sandals, my husband in trail runners, pretty worn out on the soles by that time. A few times I wish I had had something sturdier, but for 5 minutes here or there, the same as on the other two caminos. We walked Laxe/Arou/Camarinos/Muxia. Figuring out the bus schedule was arduous, as there aren't many and no one seemed to know if any existed (autobus info in Santiago, Galician tourist office there minimal, but most helpful was Santiago tourist office who called bus companies for us and gave us schedules to Carballo (AUCASA E5.70, 14:45 from SdC, arriving at 16:00)). That connected with a minibus by autocaresvasquesz.net I believe. There's a schedule in the bus station window in Carballo. And they only run a couple of times a week, and of course we had a flight home to catch! So the only thing that made sense was to get off the bus in Laxe, not Malpica. In Laxe we did a booking.com at Hostal Residencia Bahia, with balcony overlooking the harbor. Maybe E50? Great, as was the owner who knew a woman in Arou who had an apartment she rented. Maybe E50 for that also for the two of us. And she and her husband, who is French, cooked us dinner - fried fish, potatoes, salad, bread and wine, for E10 each. Excellent. The bar in town is pretty basic, as is Arou! So buy groceries in Laxe. Next night we stayed in Camarinas at Hotel O Paranda, E45, tucked just up and around the corner at the right end of the harbor. Very nice room and owner again.
As for the walking - incredible sea views and overall scenery. At times the path was extremely narrow/overgrown and a bit prickly (we were wearing shorts), other times a piece of cake. Some roads, some beach walking, ups and downs. One in particular had us going up a steep sandy gully only to come down the same on the other side. I essentially skied it laughing all the way. There is a path that hugs the coast if you want to avoid that. The English cematary is very thought-provoking, especially all the stones piled up in mini monuments to those lost at sea. The walk out to Faro Vilan was long but so worthwhile. The restaurant is closed 12-3 I believe. The route from Camarinas I wouldn't really recommend unless you want to do the entire camino. It follows the estuary all the way, the first part on narrow paths, then the eastern bank on roads. We lost our way somewhere here, found it again and realized we were on the Camino again coming in from Santiago! Quite a shock to see arrows again! And peregrinos!
I realize we may be the first on the forum to do this route, which I highly recommend, so as we remember more details, can post them if anyone is interested, especially the places we lost the trail. And I have pictures! Sorry, didn't mean to write so much. Buen camino, Cherry
Wow - thank you so much Cherrys - very rich information! Hopefully I will have more helpful advice after September! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
4 days you can do it in bare feet. I climbed the reek or irelands holy mountain in my bare feet yesterday. Ten people in total without footwear and its loose stone all the way. Beach and seawater today
Interesting to know - thank you! :)

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back