• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino dos Faros

peregrina2000

Staff member
Another forum member recently told me he had walked the Camino dos Faros. I had never heard of it. But as I did some searching, I saw that it is an 8 stage route between Malpica and Finisterre, http://www.caminodosfaros.com/en/. It's called the route of the lighthouses because it passes by all of the major lighthouses on the Costa del Morte.

What has really piqued my interest is seeing that the last two stages are Muxia - Menina - Finisterre.

I know that a lot of people are a bit disappointed when they walk from Finisterre to Muxia or vice versa and see that only a very tiny bit is even near the ocean. This looks like a good alternative. I am not sure if it is well marked, or what the situation is with accommodation. But there are wikiloc tracks, so that's a good start.

If I have time when I get to the end of my camino this summer, I think I'll try to add a day to the Muxia to Finisterre portion and go by the ocean. Has anyone done this?

Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Laurie,
During June 2016 I walked from Muxia to Finisterre and as I didn't have a map decided to hug the coast southwards.
Unfortunately, I awoke to thick fog, but thought I could still achieve it by keeping the sound of the sea in my right ear.
After about 3k entering the forested area I tried to get away from what yellow arrows there were and head toward the coast. But on each occasion the rugged pathways always returned me inland. Because I was map-less and visibility worsened further I decided to bring my John Brierley days to an end.
If you do return this year and establish a breakthrough pathway -I'd appreciate hearing of your experience.
Regards
Davie

I saw flyers and posters about this route last May in albergues, so more people mist be discovering it little by little.

This being said, it seems to be more a series of days hikes, where you come in land at night and head back to the coast rather than the linear routes we are used to. In other words, when you get to the end of the etapa ypu have to get some kind of transport to get to a bed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Laurie,

All of the Camino de los Faros is really well signed with green arrows which are a little bit smaller than the yellow arrows, mainly on the ground. It's level of difficulty for the average pilgrim is high though with many ups and downs sometimes near steep cliffs ! I've done a video of most of the route but you don't like me posting them ! If people look for Camino de Faros or the Lighthouse Way. on YouTube it appears high in the ranking and has had 1507 visits so it's of interest !!

Lots of stunning videos on their website. And I love the fact that they don't want any individual singled out as being the promoter of this route and that they from the start for people to walk it with "maximum respect for nature". I hope they are granted their wish.

http://www.caminodosfaros.com/en/os-trasnos/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, for the Muxia to Finisterre segment, it looks like it's 28 km by the coastal alternative from Muxia to Lires, which has several places to stay.

Did he tell us about it when we met at Tertulia? If so, it's just one more sad example of my decaying memory. :(
No, he was just about to begin it. He told me a lot of where he got info etc. when we accidentally ran into each other on a street a day after but my memory also has some holes :)
Send him a PM, Laurie.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm wondering about stages and accommodations. I have it figured out between Muxia and Finisterre, but I might just be able to squeeze in the time to walk from Malpica to Finisterre rather than Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre. I've got the wikiloc tracks, so I have a good idea of the distances and elevation, but no clue about accommodations! Thanks, Laurie

p.s. Just found this link -- http://www.caminodosfaros.com/alojamientos/ That leaves only two of the ending points (Niñóns and Arou) with no place to stay.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm wondering about stages and accommodations. I have it figured out between Muxia and Finisterre, but I might just be able to squeeze in the time to walk from Malpica to Finisterre rather than Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre. I've got the wikiloc tracks, so I have a good idea of the distances and elevation, but no clue about accommodations! Thanks, Laurie

p.s. Just found this link -- http://www.caminodosfaros.com/alojamientos/ That leaves only two of the ending points (Niñóns and Arou) with no place to stay.
I guess there are lots of tents and other hiking stuff left in Santiago albergues after people go home. Short tour and you're set to go off without info on accommodation :D

Hi Laurie, and everyone else - We want to do the Camino dos Faros too. Picked up a brochure in Murxia and have been looking at it all winter. We leave April 18 from NYC to do the Norte, then Primativo, will probably bus from Melide to Santiago and then on to Malpica, and follow that route around at least to Muxia, hopefully Fisterre, depending on time. I've also been looking at places to stay, and now that we actually have our tickets will investigate it some more. The scenery looks spectacular. Three years ago my step sister and I walked Fisterre to Murxia, staying at Lires. We kind of just "started" north of Fisterre with no yellow arrows, following paths and roads up along the hills usually with the ocean in sight, eventually finding arrows pretty close to Lires. So I am also curious about staying close to the ocean on that section. On to the techie question from one who's not - what are wikiloc tracks and how do you find/get them on your phone, please?

Hi, cherrys,
Here´s a link to the wikiloc tracks for the entire route.
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=12988436

Wikiloc is a website where people download and share their gps tracks for trails all over the world. It is the site most frequently used by Spaniards, though there are others.

You can also find stage by stage tracks --
Stage 1 -- https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=5832021
Stage 2 -- https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=9050588

If you can't find the other stages on the site let me know, they are all posted by the same user, Club Acivro, and you can search by either user or route.

When I walk remote routes, I carry a separate GPS device. I got a lot of advice here about not draining the battery on the phone, the superiority of the GPS function when the phone doesnt have data, etc. So I carry a Garmin dakota GPS and have finally learned how to use its basic functions. I do carry a smartphone, though, but I get a Spanish chip in it while walking so I can use it for phone, wifi and some data (about 15 euros a month is all it costs me).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Laurie,

All of the Camino de los Faros is really well signed with green arrows which are a little bit smaller than the yellow arrows, mainly on the ground. It's level of difficulty for the average pilgrim is high though with many ups and downs sometimes near steep cliffs ! I've done a video of most of the route but you don't like me posting them ! If people look for Camino de Faros or the Lighthouse Way. on YouTube it appears high in the ranking and has had 1507 visits so it's of interest !!
Are there places to sleep and eat along the route or do you have to go inland to eat and sleep? If so, how much does this add to the km?

Are there places to sleep and eat along the route or do you have to go inland to eat and sleep? If so, how much does this add to the km?
See my earlier post with a link to accommodations. Looks like there are two "end points" where there is nothing. I guess that means calling a taxi and going to a place nearby, but I haven't done any research on that.

There is plenty of accommodation on the route from Malpica to Muxia for each stage so there's no problem. This comprises of hotels of 2 or 3 stars for 30-40 euros or Casas Rurales for 50-60 euros. From Muxia to Fisterra you can stay in Albergues for 12 euros or more expensive options up to 40 euros.

Consult this website for more detials : http://www.caminodosfaros.com/alojamientos/#

From the list I stayed in some excellent places where the owners were really helpful and friendly and the food was fantastic. It's a really amazing walk.

See the following video for what to expect...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is plenty of accommodation on the route from Malpica to Muxia for each stage so there's no problem. This comprises of hotels of 2 or 3 stars for 30-40 euros or Casas Rurales for 50-60 euros. From Muxia to Fisterra you can stay in Albergues for 12 euros or more expensive options up to 40 euros.

Consult this website for more detials : http://www.caminodosfaros.com/alojamientos/#

From the list I stayed in some excellent places where the owners were really helpful and friendly and the food was fantastic. It's a really amazing walk.

See the following video for what to expect...
Hello just a polite request for help. I am considering walkingfrom Santiago to Fisterra in June and have all the details of albergues to fisterra but would like to split the fisterra to Muxia 30km. Are there Albergues or hotels between the two places ? Also in what location so I can plan the walk. Thanking you in anticpation

Hello just a polite request for help. I am considering walkingfrom Santiago to Fisterra in June and have all the details of albergues to fisterra but would like to split the fisterra to Muxia 30km. Are there Albergues or hotels between the two places ? Also in what location so I can plan the walk. Thanking you in anticpation

Between Finisterre and Muxia there is pleasant hotel at Lires.
See more here--
http://ruralaseiras.com/

For recent relevant Forum posts see
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...then-muxia-or-to-muxia-then-finisterre.37121/

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Is there a guide for the santiago to fisterra route? I am worried about picking up the route from the cathedral. Unless it is marked, I know the city quite well having finished four Caminos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Just to clear up what might be some confusion, martyndeh,
The posts here are not about the "regular" Santiago - Muxia - Fisterre route, which is very well marked and very well stocked with albergues.
Lots of info on the forum about that camino, and you can get a pamphlet at the Galicia tourist office in Santiago that will give you all the information you need to walk this route. Brierley does have a guide as Kanga notes, but I'm not sure how you can fill up an entire book about these few short stages. Kanga, have you used it?

The camino starts in front of the parador and goes down the steps, and in about 10 minutes you are out of central Santiago and crossing a lovely little river. It's quite amazing how quickly you leave the city behind.

The "regular" route between Finisterre and Muxia is pretty much all inland, unless you take a little detour out to the beach at Lires. The Camino dos Faros that I asked about is a different, totally coastal route.

So the questions and doubts about finding a place to stay were not talking about the route from Santiago to Finisterre and/or Muxia, if that makes sense. And yes, as mspath has suggested, Lires is a great little place to split the stage between Finisterre and Muxia. Very close to some nice coastal scenery and a lovely cafe above the beach.

Buen camino, Laurie

thank you I was aware that you were discussing a different walk but you have clarified what I needed to know,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For anyone who is contemplating the Camino dos Faros, which goes along the Costa do Morte and provides a coastal alternative to the "regular" Muxia-Finisterre Camino, you should know this is not a walk in the park. This article describes the Muxia-Lires part as the most dangerous, with lots of high cliffs and drop-offs. More than a dozen rescues in the last three years, though some of those were fishermen.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...enderistas-salvamento/0003_201704C30C1992.htm

The Xunta seems to have adopted the same approach as Navarra and will charge pilgrims who need to be rescued.

I guess I'll stick to the eucalyptus forests and country roads. ;)

Looks a fabulous trail and lighthouses such beautiful grande waymarkers...

Big difference between 10 euro per night accommodation and 40 euro ...for the budget traveler.

The locals suggest you use taxis at those 2 destinations either back to your previous accomodation from the night before onr on to your next stay and the following morning use taxi to go back to pick up your walk from where you stopped. My girlfriend and I are doing this Camino next week.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I guess there are lots of tents and other hiking stuff left in Santiago albergues after people go home. Short tour and you're set to go off without info on accommodation :D
I think I read that some of this Camino is through a National Park or Biosphere and camping would not be allowed but check this out !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think I read that some of this Camino is through a National Park or Biosphere and camping would not be allowed but check this out !
Woofer, did you see anyone camping on the way? I'm really interested in an independent walk with a tent, do you think it's possible, what's your impression?

€149,-
I am worried about picking up the route

Face the entrance to The Parador , turn left and walk . markers everywhere.

Plenty of people will be walking in June
I would go to Muxia first , good pensions in Lires and enjoy Fisterra . More buses leave there than Muxia.
Lovely walk from M to F

The stage between Muxía and Fisterra can be divided by sleeping in Lires. The pension "As Eiras" offers rooms but also some cheaper pilgrim accomodation in dormitories.

Having done both Olveiroa-Muxía (august 2017) and Olveiroa-Fisterra (june 2018) not too long ago, I would prefer walking to Fisterra first as the path offers more spectacular views of the ocean, Fisterra and even the lighthouse.

If you have enough time, consider spending a night in Albergue San Rocque (on the mountain-top after Corcubíon). It is a magic place, the volunteer hospitaleros are so great! I stayed there 2007 and 2010 and liked it very much.

BC
Alexandra

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone walked Camino Dos Faros with a tent? Any sugestions/advices? Me and my wife go in the end of May... Your help would be highly appreciated.

Woofer, did you see anyone camping on the way? I'm really interested in an independent walk with a tent, do you think it's possible, what's your impression?
Hi Alitramonto.
We saw half a dozen beaches with surfers with camper vans and several tents. So it can be done. However I would not recommend it. There are at least half a dozen steep downhill tracks where maximum care must be taken or you will fall into the sea. The surface on some of these tracks is loose clay. We walked in very dry weather. There is low vegetation so nothing to grip if you do start to slide and if the going is anyway muddy you would be taking your life in your hands with a tent on your backpack. We met a (very pretty) young lady from Montpelierwith a large backpack (with tent) - she always checked and detoured to inland routes where there were steep descents. Good luck whatever you decide !

Hi Alitramonto.
We saw half a dozen beaches with surfers with camper vans and several tents. So it can be done. However I would not recommend it. Good luck whatever you decide !
Thank you so much for your reply and advices, Woofer! Ok, we shall think about it some more.

Could you also suggest how to reach Malpica from Santiago, if you did it this way?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much for your reply and advices, Woofer! Ok, we shall think about it some more.

Could you also suggest how to reach Malpica from Santiago, if you did it this way?
I think they change timetables according to season but we had to go via Coruńa. There are regular buses (2 or 3 a day) from Coruńa but they had withdrawn the Santiago - Malpica bus at very short notice just before we arrived. Had a quick rush to railway station in S de C to catch 5pm train and bus from Coruńa for Malpica left maybe about 7 ? Obviously you need to check train and bus timetables. Good luck !

Well...I'm upcoming April walking from SdC to Finisterre and then to Muxia and walking back to SdC. Luckily my eyes got this post and because of this I'll walk one part of the Camino dos Faros between F. and M. now! Thanks for sharing. Just one question: how many km's is it between Finisterre and Muxia. Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well...I'm upcoming April walking from SdC to Finisterre and then to Muxia and walking back to SdC. Luckily my eyes got this post and because of this I'll walk one part of the Camino dos Faros between F. and M. now! Thanks for sharing. Just one question: how many km's is it between Finisterre and Muxia. Thank you.
Look at these wikiloc tracks. Even if you don’t use a gps, you can see the path and the distances.

Looks like you can break the first day up at Nemiña or Lires, between 26 and 30 km

Next day into Finisterre, 26 km from Nemiña (and this track ends at the lighthouse!)

I would love to do this route! Buen camino, Laurie

Thnx for the advice, Laurie. I will take a look at it and will let you know how it was. But I guess you will walk the Camino by yourself soon ;)

Thnx for the advice, Laurie. I will take a look at it and will let you know how it was. But I guess you will walk the Camino by yourself soon ;)

The tracks by Eri and Edu have a lot of pictures and a lot of good descriptions if you can read Spanish. Amazing how much info is out there.

They confirm what I described in an earlier post, that there are some really rough parts on this route that could be dangerous.

I just took a look at this article from 2017 again, and I would be cautious about undertaking this route. https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...enderistas-salvamento/0003_201704C30C1992.htm

€149,-
My "kids" walked this this Camino in 2017 from Lires to Finesterre after finding some blue painted circles on some rocks here, walking south past the bar overlooking the ocean as we were exploring.
(Photo of me and my "boy")☺
They enjoyed the walk immensely, but did get confused a couple of times as waymarking wasn't always the best.
I did walk backwards from the Finesterre lighthouse back into town on this route. It was amazing!Screenshot_2019-03-01-11-29-34.jpg

Last edited:
An article in the Washington Post is plugging the Camino dos Faros as an alternative to the clogged Francés. You usually can’t read it without a subscription, but maybe this link will work. https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...97583a-4b38-11e9-93d0-64dbcf38ba41_story.html

But in any event, here is another version, in Spanish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I try to walk A Coruna - Malpica(44,5Km in 2 or 3 stages)- Carballo(17,2km)-Pontepedra(20,5)-Sigueiro(19,2Km)-SdC(13,3Km) total 114,7 Km instead of Camino des Ingles, or Camino dos Faros. Is there anybody who done this trail?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back