• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino dos Faros

intrepidtraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
Has anyone in this group walked the Camino dos Faros? If so, how well waymarked is it, any pilgrim-style accommodation, did you meet anyone else and what time of year were you there?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've only explored bits of that route (visiting places along it rather than walking it). However, here's a website with good info on the route:

http://www.caminodosfaros.com/

I've had a few people telling me about their walk of it and sending me photos and notes. It sounds like a nice route. It is on my list... :)
A couple of people have said that the walking is very challenging. What was your experience? Thank you for posting.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Keeping in mind that I did not actually walk the route itself (just visited spots along it and did some exploring in those areas), I did not find it overly difficult. The thing to keep in mind is that it is a *hiking* route, not a traditional Camino with nicely groomed paths. Compared to, say, most of the Francés, it is difficult. But if you've hiked wilderness paths before it isn't anything overwhelming (or, more accurately, the parts I saw were not that overwhelming).

The people who have sent me their notes on the trail were all experienced hikers but not super-fit crazy people (LOL). They described it as rugged but never mentioned anything technically difficult -- just lots of ups-and-downs on typically rugged coastline paths.

Sorry I can't help you more. Try writing to the trail association and asking them for specific details. Also, try searching youtube for videos -- sometimes that is the best way to get a sense of a trail.

Yes I walked it in Sept 2016. It's called the Camino Dos Faros (Camino of the Two Lighthouses) though there are more than two:) The first two stages are challenging, but well worth the effort. I saw only 2 others (locals) on 2 stages of the route while walking. There is little in the way of traditional accommodation and I stayed in small guest houses and hotels. Very good meals along the route. The scenery is stunning and you walk almost exclusively along the coast. You can expect many steep headland ups and downs and you'll walk across countless beaches that are just beautiful with huge waves often rolling in. For sure it is a hike, not a camino. The way is well marked with green dots, foot prints and arrows. A wonderful experience and you won't be disappointed!! You can PM me if you want more information.:cool: Geoff

I've just moved this thead to the Finisterre and Muxia section. I know the Camino dos Faros covers more ground than that, but it seems to be the most closely related. If there is more interest, I will ask Ivar to make a separate sub-forum for it, but for right now, this seems to be the best place. You will find several more threads by searching this sub-forum. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Has anyone in this group walked the Camino dos Faros? If so, how well waymarked is it, any pilgrim-style accommodation, did you meet anyone else and what time of year were you there?
There is NO pilgrim style accomodation as this is not a pilgrimage route. My girlfriend and I are doing this next week and will be able to provide you with any info you want when/if (!) we finish.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually, I walked it back in July so no longer need information. Thanks anyway. Enjoy!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The coastal scenery was of course beautiful. Due to time constraints I only walked 3 of the official 8 stages - the ones listed on the CDF website as stages 3-4-5. By the time I finished walking the Via de la Plata and Camino Sanabres I was down to the last days of my trip.

The waymarking - green arrows and dots - was overall quite good. The condition of the trail was highly variable. In some places I was walking on boardwalks, others overgrown trails and sometimes boulder hopping.This is not a route for the faint of heart as there are several places with sheer drop offs from the trail into the ocean. The history of the region I find fascinating. With so many trails to explore in the world I don't often feel inclined to repeat outings. For this one I would gladly return and do the whole route.

With respect to accommodation, I did actually end up in a pilgrim style place, even though this is not a pilgrimage. Since at this point in my travels I had already walked quite a distance, I was looking for an easier vs. harder approach. I made arrangements with Tracy at Little Fox House Camino Retreat near Muxia to drop me off each morning at the beginning of the stage, pick me up at my ending point in the afternoon and then bring me back to her place to sleep for the night. Some of the small towns along the way have hotels where you could also stay. I wouldn't say at this point that the infrastructure is designed for through hikers. You can do it as a through hike but it takes some pre-planning.

If there's anything else you would like to know about this route, feel free to get in touch. My experience is not vast but I'm happy to share what I know.

A couple of pictures are attached to give you an idea of what it's like.

Attachments

• 20180708_191825.jpg
    20180708_191825.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20180709_170809.jpg
    20180709_170809.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great report, @intrepidtraveler ! Sounds like a wonderful few days, and I especially like how you did it in conjunction with the stay at Little Fox House. Thanks for the additional details!

Yes I walked it in Sept 2016. It's called the Camino Dos Faros (Camino of the Two Lighthouses) though there are more than two:) The first two stages are challenging, but well worth the effort. I saw only 2 others (locals) on 2 stages of the route while walking. There is little in the way of traditional accommodation and I stayed in small guest houses and hotels. Very good meals along the route. The scenery is stunning and you walk almost exclusively along the coast. You can expect many steep headland ups and downs and you'll walk across countless beaches that are just beautiful with huge waves often rolling in. For sure it is a hike, not a camino. The way is well marked with green dots, foot prints and arrows. A wonderful experience and you won't be disappointed!! You can PM me if you want more information.:cool: Geoff
Geoff, did you stay in Ninos and Arou which are shown as two of the stage ends? If so, would you advise some info on the accommodation please. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also, does anyone know if it is possible to hike Malpica to A Coruna? If so then it would be possible to go Santiago to Finisterre, Camino dos Faros, then to A Coruna and Camino Ingles back to Santiago.

Just a thought
Davey

Geoff, did you stay in Ninos and Arou which are shown as two of the stage ends? If so, would you advise some info on the accommodation please. Thanks
Hope you dont mind me butting in but I've just completed this Camino a couple of weeks ago. There is NO accomodation at either place so you need to get a taxi (approx €10) to either your starting point for that day or to your destination the following day. You arrange a taxi then to bring you back to where you finished your walk and simply pick it up again. We taxied from Playa de Nińons back to Malpica and the following day the taxi dropped us back to Nińons where we resumed walking and brought our luggage to our prebooked accomodation in Ponteceso. We likewise spent 2 nights in Camarińas. These were the only times we had to use taxis as there is lodging at the other stops.

Hope you dont mind me butting in but I've just completed this Camino a couple of weeks ago. There is NO accomodation at either place so you need to get a taxi (approx €10) to either your starting point for that day or to your destination the following day. You arrange a taxi then to bring you back to where you finished your walk and simply pick it up again. We taxied from Playa de Nińons back to Malpica and the following day the taxi dropped us back to Nińons where we resumed walking and brought our luggage to our prebooked accomodation in Ponteceso. We likewise spent 2 nights in Camarińas. These were the only times we had to use taxis as there is lodging at the other stops.
Thanks Woofer. Appreciate your response.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Llew and the other people thinking about doing "Dos Faros" it's really lovely, a bit challenging and there are not many fellow walkers. These photos are only a snippet of what you can expect!

Attachments

• 20180809_163149.jpg
    20180809_163149.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 20180809_145608.jpg
    20180809_145608.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 20180816_121703.jpg
    20180816_121703.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180816_154931.jpg
    20180816_154931.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180816_114247.jpg
    20180816_114247.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8913.JPG
    IMG_8913.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9037.JPG
    IMG_9037.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9229.JPG
    IMG_9229.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 20

Sounds
Hi sounds great any tips on managing accomodation for the first few stages of the route?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Laura, if you Google the Camino Dos Faros you should see the Association’s website. They have put accommodation options on the website. Most every town seems to have places to stay, but there’s not much in the way of albergue type places to stay. At 5he end of stage one you will have to call a taxi at the church where there is cell coverage just up the road from the beach to pick you up and take you into the nearest town where you will have pre-booked your place. You then take a taxi back the next morning. Seems complicated, but actually pretty straight forward using the information on their website. If you look at my blog below for September 2016 you will see reference to the stages, etc. Hope this helps. It’s a great walk.

Hi thanks that's very helpful think I'll get on sorting that today.

Hello, is there anybody who walks A Coruna to Malpica than SdC total 107 Km, not via Finisterre in November

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back