• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Dragonte

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
Hello fellow pilgrims.
I'm leaving for SJPDP, by train all the way from the UK, on Thursday and starting to walk on Friday morning. When I leave Villafranca, I'm hoping to follow the Camino Dragonte, my plan being to walk through to La Faba (other plans are available!). Has anyone here done this detour and is it worth the risk of getting a bit lost?

TIA

Ian

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please give people the time to react...it is only ten hours ago since you made your OP.
Try the search function. I remember some threads where people discussed the Dragonte variante.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello fellow pilgrims.
I'm leaving for SJPDP, by train all the way from the UK, on Thursday and starting to walk on Friday morning. When I leave Villafranca, I'm hoping to follow the Camino Dragonte, my plan being to walk through to La Faba (other plans are available!). Has anyone here done this detour and is it worth the risk of getting a bit lost?

TIA

Ian

Hi, it’s doable if you are very fit. One of my “camino family” walked it. When we met him later he said he was exhausted when he got to Herrerias, but the albergue there was full, so he had to carry on up to La Faba. But he really liked the detour and was glad he did it. Good luck! Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Dragonte route in October 2013. It is very strenuous, remote and beautiful. The waymarking is OK - if you follow one of Brierley's older guidebooks you will have no problems. (the newer map books don't even show the route)
I met 5 people all day - all locals, and according to the hospitalero at Villafranca I was only the second pilgrim that year that he knew of,to take this route. I imagine it's like the Camino was about 30 years ago.
You do need waterproof footwear, as in places streams have taken over the path, and some wading is necessary. Plus carry all your water and provisions, as there are no facilities until Herrerias.
I would walk it again, and if time allows, will do so this September on my way to SdC.

I walked the Dragonte route in October 2013. It is very strenuous, remote and beautiful. The waymarking is OK - if you follow one of Brierley's older guidebooks you will have no problems. (the newer map books don't even show the route)
I met 5 people all day - all locals, and according to the hospitalero at Villafranca I was only the second pilgrim that year that he knew of,to take this route. I imagine it's like the Camino was about 30 years ago.
You do need waterproof footwear, as in places streams have taken over the path, and some wading is necessary. Plus carry all your water and provisions, as there are no facilities until Herrerias.
I would walk it again, and if time allows, will do so this September on my way to SdC.

Thanks for that. I am using a 2011 vintage Brierley, so the route is described pretty well. If I'm in good nick when I get to Villafranca and rain is not forecast, I'll probably give it a go.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ian, the search facility should have lead you to this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/posts/93498/ Gunnars route description and the account of his journey should help your decision and your route finding.

Buen Camino
Thanks for this link, @Tincatinker; I've watched Gunnar's video. I've been curious about this route ever since I first learned of it. I thought it would be lots of forest trails, but most of it, it seems, is on gravel road. However, towards the end, there seems to be a bit where the trail is hardly visible at all. I sure like that old church.

For those who do not wish to view the entirety of Gunnar's splendid video (well there might be some) his account of his venture on the Dragonte starts at minute 12:00 or thereabouts. And note he bailed-out about two-thirds along this spectacular route. That said, for seekers of the way less travelled this bit of the Way is much less travelled than most.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello fellow pilgrims.

TIA

Ian
Hi how much did it cost to go by train from the UK? I fancy this option as well .can u give us a guide to the cost also if possible . Many thanks

Hi how much did it cost to go by train from the UK? I fancy this option as well .can u give us a guide to the cost also if possible . Many thanks
Hello,
Yes I got an early Eurostar train to Paris which cost £34 single, and then the train to St Jean cost me just under 70 Euros. You have to go across Paris between the Eurostar and the TGV from Gare Montparnasse, so allow time for that. I enjoy train travel, so the 11 hours it took wasn't a problem. The line between Bayonne and St Jean is being repaired, so of you go before October at least part of it will be a bus.

Hello,
Yes I got an early Eurostar train to Paris which cost £34 single, and then the train to St Jean cost me just under 70 Euros. You have to go across Paris between the Eurostar and the TGV from Gare Montparnasse, so allow time for that. I enjoy train travel, so the 11 hours it took wasn't a problem. The line between Bayonne and St Jean is being repaired, so of you go before October at least part of it will be a bus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, seems better than flying no probs with checking stuff in etc. Not sure if I'll be going this year. Not physically or mentally or equipment prepared as of yet!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,
Well the Camino Dragonte is all a bit academic now as I had to fly home yesterday due to the state of my feet, which went rapidly downhill on days 5 & 6.
Resting them now and will accompany the missus from Sarria in a couple of weeks. Hope to complete my Camino Frances from Viana to SdC next year

Sorry to hear that but @Ian Afloat hope you do "float" down the Camino next time. My knowledge of the Dragonte comes from our @Rebekah Scott who walked it back in 2001. Very, very hard going and she got lost at one point and found herself on a blackberry covered precipice from which she had to scramble backwards. Her attempt finished with a dog bite in a village where the local curs were obviously not used to pilgrims.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,
I did this way in 2010 and found it beautiful with only one local person along the way until Herrerias. I was delighted to do it and it is not to be missed. My stage was Villafranca to O'Cebreiro and found it invigorating at the time.
In 2008 I had hoped to travel that way but got lost as we took an early turning, on reflection my companion might have found the way difficult had we gotten on the correct path, so perhaps we were lucky.
I for one hope that the way does not get "lost" as it is arguably the best detour of the way. There was only one time when I had difficulty, when starting the decent to Herrerias the route was overgrown in brush but passable once the correct route was identified. A Brierly Guide of 2010 was used.

Travellingman, I'm walking from SJPDP in September and planning to walk on Dragonte route. I have Brierley's guidebook published in 2012. Did you use this book also or an older one? Can you suggest me some further maps about that region? thanks, Janos

Sorry, I can't remember which edition, and it's long lost now. But it had a good description of the route, including the section where streams have taken over the paths, and waterproof shoes are useful! I found the waymarking OK - the only thing I didn't find was Celia's Bar, which must be quite well hidden.
I hope you get on OK, and we might even meet, as I'm away again early September, and might walk the Dragonte again, if time allows.
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.