• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino dreaming 2018

franb68

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
I don't suppose anyone is planning their camino trip for 2018?? I am planning to go Sept/Oct 2018 for my 50th birthday. I feel just slightly crazy sometimes planning a trip so far in advance. In fact I am looking forward to it being 2017 just so I can start referring to "my trip next year"! Is it normal to be planning this far ahead? I have even started buying my kit, taking advantage of whatever sales are on. This is my first post (so please forgive any rookie errors) and I am sure I will be more active as my trip draws closer. I enjoy reading the posts which are full of fantastic information and good advice. As many have noted before, it can become slightly addictive!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Fran, Sept/Oct should be a lovely time to walk. The Summer heat should have died off and the crowds should have eased. There a plenty people on here who have walked then and will answer your questions.
Happy planning for 2018.
Buen Camino.

Whoops! Still learning how to do this. Thanks for well wishes. Look forward to receiving advice from the many Camino veterans.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have been on the Camino twice during september/october. Nice weather,not too crowded and plenty of Aussie folks to keep you company ! Wonder how can you wait that long , i just wouldn't be able ....
Giorgio

I know but I have full-time work and a 10 and 11 year-old to keep me busy until then. It takes some planning to arrange a trip like this - the first time I will have been away from my girls since they were born. It's also planned to coincide with my 50th birthday which isn't until August 2018. Don't worry I have other trips to look forward to with my family before 2018!

Hi Fran. welcome at this forum. I walked the Frances last october and it was for me the perfect time/moment to walk. We will keep you excited here with our stories and advices. Before you know it, you will sit in the plane to your start destination. Enjoy it here!

Marcel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

Our experience this year as cyclists in Spain the middle of September was that the larger towns were very crowded. Once we got farther along in Spain into the third week of September things started to calm down. we also had extreme temp differences with above 35°C on some afternoons early on to near 5° a few day s later in the morning. Nevertheless september seems to be the best time.

Daniel

Hi Fran and welcome to the forum. We all know that the weather has a mind of its own but I can tell you that my time on the CF last year began the last week of Sept and went all of Oct. It was stunning! Only a few days of lovely soft rain in Galicia. I too celebrated a birthday, and it was the reason for my journey, but it wasn't long before my walk became one of total gratitude. Wish you Buen Camino. Planning is one of the added pleasures.

Hello,

Our experience this year as cyclists in Spain the middle of September was that the larger towns were very crowded. Once we got farther along in Spain into the third week of September things started to calm down. we also had extreme temp differences with above 35°C on some afternoons early on to near 5° a few day s later in the morning. Nevertheless september seems to be the best time.

Daniel
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am expecting fairly variable temperatures so will try to be prepared.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Fran and welcome to the forum. We all know that the weather has a mind of its own but I can tell you that my time on the CF last year began the last week of Sept and went all of Oct. It was stunning! Only a few days of lovely soft rain in Galicia. I too celebrated a birthday, and it was the reason for my journey, but it wasn't long before my walk became one of total gratitude. Wish you Buen Camino. Planning is one of the added pleasures.
Yes there is much enjoyment to be had in the planning. The birthday is a good excuse for the journey but as a practising catholic (yes a few still exist!) I expect it to be more than just a walking holiday. Looking forward to the spiritual and meditative aspects of it.

Yes there is much enjoyment to be had in the planning. The birthday is a good excuse for the journey but as a practising catholic (yes a few still exist!) I expect it to be more than just a walking holiday. Looking forward to the spiritual and meditative aspects of it.
Just read that you did the camino for your 80th birthday movinmaggie. That's truly inspirational. Fantastic!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Best birthday ever! (so far). Truly an opportunity to mentally take a walk through my life; the ups and downs,
while physically experiencing the 'ups and downs';) I'll be walking in Scotland (family home) in May/June.
Where is your family home? I was in Scotland last October for my father-in-law's 80th birthday. He lives in Kelso in the Scottish borders. Love Scotland.

Where is your family home? I was in Scotland last October for my father-in-law's 80th birthday. He lives in Kelso in the Scottish borders. Love Scotland.
Mum was from Aberdeen, Dad from Dundee. I often wondered how they could understand each other. Sorry, I'm getting off topic,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! Like you I am hoping for a 2018 trip for my 50th, also an Aussie and working, and planning around my daughter who is doing Gr 12 that year, so I would love to go in Sept/Oct as weather wise that seems best, I can't leave her at peak exam time. Haven't decided what to do! I could probably go the beginning of the year eg March, but I don't know how I would go with the cold/wet weather.

Hi! Like you I am hoping for a 2018 trip for my 50th, also an Aussie and working, and planning around my daughter who is doing Gr 12 that year, so I would love to go in Sept/Oct as weather wise that seems best, I can't leave her at peak exam time. Haven't decided what to do! I could probably go the beginning of the year eg March, but I don't know how I would go with the cold/wet weather.
Go monkeys! (ie 1968 babies born in the Chinese year of the monkey). Yes it is tricky working around children. Mine are a bit younger than yours so no trials/HSC exams for them. I have shortened my trip so that I am only away for three and a half weeks. Good luck with your planning. You never know, I might see you on the trail to say happy 50th!!

@holhum May/June is lovely - my first Camino was the year I turned 50. Or perhaps you could go this year instead? Never too soon!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi there, Fran and holhum (and very lovely forum people). I saw your post and it inspired me to set up an account to maybe join in on your conversation. I'm a 47yo mum to four A.MAZ.ING kids from Parramatta (Sydney), and I hope to go on my first Camino in September 2017. That seems to be the best time for my work and my family. My youngest will be HSC'ing it in 2018 . I've dreamed of doing this pilgrimage for yeeeeears, now, but it's never been the right time or $$$. I intentionally started planning for this journey about a year ago and have begun a walking/fitness routine, recently. I think people start planning for their pilgrimage the moment they decide to do it. So, no, dear Fran, I don't think it's too soon. Like so many good experiences, I think the preparing and journeying can be just-as, if not more, fulfilling as the destination itself. Hope that makes sense.

Hi there, Fran and holhum (and very lovely forum people). I saw your post and it inspired me to set up an account to maybe join in on your conversation. I'm a 47yo mum to four A.MAZ.ING kids from Parramatta (Sydney), and I hope to go on my first Camino in September 2017. That seems to be the best time for my work and my family. My youngest will be HSC'ing it in 2018 . I've dreamed of doing this pilgrimage for yeeeeears, now, but it's never been the right time or $$$. I intentionally started planning for this journey about a year ago and have begun a walking/fitness routine, recently. I think people start planning for their pilgrimage the moment they decide to do it. So, no, dear Fran, I don't think it's too soon. Like so many good experiences, I think the preparing and journeying can be just-as, if not more, fulfilling as the destination itself. Hope that makes sense.
That's great that we inspired you to join in the conversation. I had been meaning to do the same for a long time and finally did last night. You must be excited that your trip is not so far away. Sounds like you have picked the right time for you and your family. Happy planning and buen camino for September 2017. Good luck with the pre-camino training too!

Hi Fran, I live in Sydney(Bundeena) and did my first Camino in May / June this year and am planning on going back in 2018 to do same again or maybe a slightly different route. I walked onto Finnesterre after two nights in Santiago which I highly recommend. I have a fabulous time and met some wonderful people from all over the world. I too planned and prepared for about 12 months before I left. It is all part of the journey and it is worthwhile testing EVERYTHING you intend to take with you as it is better to find out what works and what doesn't before you leave.
Happy training and get ready for an amazing experience!
Julie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Fran, I live in Sydney(Bundeena) and did my first Camino in May / June this year and am planning on going back in 2018 to do same again or maybe a slightly different route. I walked onto Finnesterre after two nights in Santiago which I highly recommend. I have a fabulous time and met some wonderful people from all over the world. I too planned and prepared for about 12 months before I left. It is all part of the journey and it is worthwhile testing EVERYTHING you intend to take with you as it is better to find out what works and what doesn't before you leave.
Happy training and get ready for an amazing experience!
Julie
Thanks for your feedback Julie. Pleased you had a great time. Obviously it must have been great seeing that you are going back in 2018. Yes the planning and daydreaming is fun and the trip is getting closer every day.

I don't suppose anyone is planning their camino trip for 2018?? I am planning to go Sept/Oct 2018 for my 50th birthday. I feel just slightly crazy sometimes planning a trip so far in advance. In fact I am looking forward to it being 2017 just so I can start referring to "my trip next year"! Is it normal to be planning this far ahead? I have even started buying my kit, taking advantage of whatever sales are on. This is my first post (so please forgive any rookie errors) and I am sure I will be more active as my trip draws closer. I enjoy reading the posts which are full of fantastic information and good advice. As many have noted before, it can become slightly addictive!
September/October can be a funny old time. 2013 I walked at that time and the weather was for the most part fine apart from one really wet day. This year however, the first two weeks of September were horrendously hot with temperatures in the low 40s. Locals told me they were the two hottest weeks of the year. The biggest problem though is the increasingly dark mornings so a head torch is pretty much essential. As for planning ahead, sure thats half the fun. I have not planned as far ahead as yourself, a year being the max for my first in 2013, but I really enjoyed it. Dreaming, imagining what the Pyrenees would be like, visiting every outdoor store in and around Belfast and reading this forum and getting lots of help and advice. Enjoy every minute of it.

September/October can be a funny old time. 2013 I walked at that time and the weather was for the most part fine apart from one really wet day. This year however, the first two weeks of September were horrendously hot with temperatures in the low 40s. Locals told me they were the two hottest weeks of the year. The biggest problem though is the increasingly dark mornings so a head torch is pretty much essential. As for planning ahead, sure thats half the fun. I have not planned as far ahead as yourself, a year being the max for my first in 2013, but I really enjoyed it. Dreaming, imagining what the Pyrenees would be like, visiting every outdoor store in and around Belfast and reading this forum and getting lots of help and advice. Enjoy every minute of it.
Yes I have the head torch already. As for visiting the outdoor shops, I am on a first name basis with some of the staff in our outdoor shops on Kent Street in Sydney! Fellow Sydneysiders will know exactly where I mean. As a self-confessed, 'slightly obsessive about planning' Virgo I must say that it is not unusual for me to be planning so far ahead. I love the research involved in planning a trip overseas. In fact travel is a passion. I love taking myself out of my normal existence and immersing myself in a different country with different customs, history, food and culture. We are so lucky to have the opportunity to do so.

€83,-
I've been planning my next camino (2018) since I finished my first one last year and I'm still excited, I'm off on the VDLP in the middle of March 2018.
Enjoy the planning it's all part of the journey.

I am planning my next Camino for 2018 and feel the same way, although 2017 is just around the corner I walked from Leon to Santiago this past September, perfect temperature. Planning to go from Burgos to Leon in 2018, not sure if in May or September yet. Buen Camino and Happy Planning!
I've been planning my next camino (2018) since I finished my first one last year and I'm still excited, I'm off on the VDLP in the middle of March 2018.

Hi Fran, I will also be hiking the Camino 2018 Sept/Oct. I am equally excited. There is nothing wrong with planning so far ahead...especially with children at home, I have some too. It will allow everybody to adjust to you being gone so long.... Buen Camino. I will look for you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Fran , I am planning to walk the Camino August/September 2018 the whole 800km with my husband and I can't wait ! I've been planning now for over 6 months, I'm in Newcastle just up the road !

Hi Fran,
We sound like twins as this is also my first post, I'm planning to walk the Camino in September/October 2018 and have started purchasing some gear too! I am a little older than 50 but would like to wait until my daughter is off to university before I leave the country for 7 weeks. I so enjoy reading everyone's posts and I'm very thankful for all of the advice. I wish you well with your plans and look forward to maybe crossing paths with you in 2018!

Yes definitely will do. Enjoy planning your second camino. Must have been great the first time for you to be returning.

€83,-
Hi Fran,
We sound like twins as this is also my first post, I'm planning to walk the Camino in September/October 2018 and have started purchasing some gear too! I am a little older than 50 but would like to wait until my daughter is off to university before I leave the country for 7 weeks. I so enjoy reading everyone's posts and I'm very thankful for all of the advice. I wish you well with your plans and look forward to maybe crossing paths with you in 2018!
That is a lovely long time to be going for. Might see you over there. Hopefully my friend who turns 50 in the same year will be joining me. Still to be decided.

Hi Fran , I am planning to walk the Camino August/September 2018 the whole 800km with my husband and I can't wait ! I've been planning now for over 6 months, I'm in Newcastle just up the road !
Yes I know Newcastle well. I am a Hunter Valley girl. Well - coalfields really - as it was known back then. Happy planning!

Hi Fran, I will also be hiking the Camino 2018 Sept/Oct. I am equally excited. There is nothing wrong with planning so far ahead...especially with children at home, I have some too. It will allow everybody to adjust to you being gone so long.... Buen Camino. I will look for you!
Yes look out for me. I will look out for you. Seems that there will be a few of us over there at the same time if all goes to plan.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Planning too far ahead? No such thing ;)

We're in planning mode for April 2018......

You are from the Sunshine Coast
I love that area !
Next year I will be 80 and in May I will walk the Camino Frances
I am from the Netherlands
Do you know there are Camino meetings in Sydney
Sure they much held them in Brisbane as well !!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Best birthday ever! (so far). Truly an opportunity to mentally take a walk through my life; the ups and downs,
while physically experiencing the 'ups and downs';) I'll be walking in Scotland (family home) in May/June.

My namesake ancestor arrived in North America from Scotland in 1651. He was a prisoner of war from the Cromwell wars and came as an indentured servant. I would love to go visit where he lived; near Glen Artney in Perthshire. The family farm is still there. I would love to know about long distance walks in Scotland, with lodging in small towns along the way. Recommendations?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back