• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Dress Code :-)

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

My clothing load, for my bottoms, will consist of two pairs of running shorts and one pair of Smartwool lightweight long-johns. About 17 ounces for the lot. My rain kilt adds another 2.5 ounces. It's the same kit that I've used backpacking and has done everything that I need it to do.

EXCEPT.....

Do I need to include a pair of lightweight pants for proper dress code to attend pilgrim masses, tour cathedrals, or eat in establishments? Even with the lightest of backpacking pants, it adds another 10 to 16 ounces of weight that I don't need, other than for required social proprieties. :rolleyes:;)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Are the long-johns just for sleeping? You could ditch those and sleep in the same pair of shorts you're walking in next day, then add the pants. A longer cargo-type short or tailored short probably acceptable for Mass, but not running shorts.
No.. I use long johns under the shorts if it gets too chilly, or if there is a cold rain in cool weather. Most of the time they stay packed. The long johns are less then half the weight of pants to do the same job :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No.. I use long johns under the shorts if it gets too chilly, or if there is a cold rain in cool weather. Most of the time they stay packed. The long johns are less then half the weight of pants to do the same job :)

Thanks to you and Doug for helping me decide. I never hike in anything but shorts, the exception being when I backpack in the winter. But, with the Camino, there are churches, museums, restaurants or bars/pubs, etc. which one never encounters when backpacking in wilderness areas. I suppose that if I feel to "underdressed" in some situations, I can always purchase a pair of lightweight pants along the Camino. :)

Well, when you say "running shorts", do you mean the little tiny short ones, or more like a basketball or gym short? Because the little tiny ones at dinner in a restaurant or at a Mass, probably a bit inappropriate. Even here in San Francisco, people would raise an eyebrow if they're those itty-bitty things, lol.

LOL!!!! No... my running shorts come just above the knee, are a bit "loose" fitting as opposed to being form-fitting, are very opaque, and have a nice, supportive liner to hold the "boys" in their proper place :) They also weigh about 5.5 ounces each, and dry out extremely fast.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... Do I need to include a pair of lightweight pants for proper dress code to attend pilgrim masses, tour cathedrals, or eat in establishments? ...

Not for dress code, but for coolish evenings/nights in the mountains ;-) Buen Camino, SY

LOL!!!! No... my running shorts come just above the knee, are a bit "loose" fitting as opposed to being form-fitting, are very opaque, and have a nice, supportive liner to hold the "boys" in their proper place :) They also weigh about 5.5 ounces each, and dry out extremely fast.
Phew! When you said running shorts, I was picturing something like this :D
mens running shorts.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My suggestion would be to ditch the long johns....too warm IMHO. Then replace one pair of shorts with one pair of convertible zip-off cargo pants in 100 nylon fabric.

The convertible slacks can be long trousers, short trousers, rain pants (the nylon repels water then dries out VERY fast). Save the short-shorts for a 30 degree plus day where maximum ventilation is needed.

Also, if you did get caught in unseasonably cool weather, the long pants can be worn to sleep in. I have done so several times. Cloth is cloth, insulation is insulation.

Carrying the long johns seems to me redundant. I assess you likely will not use them. Convertible slacks are pretty much a standard item along the Camino. Just make certain you do NOT get cotton slacks. They get wet, stay wet, dry slow and do not insulate well.

Your net weight increase should be zero to nil.

I hope this helps.

I used almost the same combination except no tights and one pair of shorts. And, I added a pain of lightweight convertible hiking pants and zipped off the legs, so I had a second pair of shorts. Then I used them as long pants when I thought I should wear long pants. I slept in the cleaner shorts--the shorts I didn´t wear that day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Is it really cold now? Im planning to go this time next year but have only planned for hot weather

I took a pair of merino wool long johns for the Camino Frances in April a couple of years ago thinking that I may need the extra warmth in the evenings/nights as there was still snow on the ground in the Pyrenees. They got binned within a couple of days after never being used. I walked the whole distance in hiking shorts and switched to the hiking trousers in the evening to go to church, tea and dinner.

Everyone on the Camino is pretty relaxed, go with what you feel comfortable in. If you change your mind after starting, you will pass through several towns/cities where you can buy something new.

I took a pair of merino wool long johns for the Camino Frances in April a couple of years ago thinking that I may need the extra warmth in the evenings/nights as there was still snow on the ground in the Pyrenees. They got binned within a couple of days after never being used. I walked the whole distance in hiking shorts and switched to the hiking trousers in the evening to go to church, tea and dinner.

Everyone on the Camino is pretty relaxed, go with what you feel comfortable in. If you change your mind after starting, you will pass through several towns/cities where you can buy something new.

Ens of March this year on the Meseta I was more than happy with my merino longjohns underneath my long walkingtrouser. Snow, wind and hail : freezing temperatures.

I just walked the Frances in late May/June with shorts, long johns and one pair of leggings. I wore the long johns a LOT at night when it was chilly but I tend to run cold. My daughter made good use of hers too. We found temperature swings - days in the upper 90's and then days when we put wool socks on our hands because of the cold. I don't think you'll have a problem with dress code - people are so welcoming and understanding of what it is to be on a pilgrimage. ENJOY.

My suggestion would be to ditch the long johns....too warm IMHO. Then replace one pair of shorts with one pair of convertible zip-off cargo pants in 100 nylon fabric.

The convertible slacks can be long trousers, short trousers, rain pants (the nylon repels water then dries out VERY fast). Save the short-shorts for a 30 degree plus day where maximum ventilation is needed.

Also, if you did get caught in unseasonably cool weather, the long pants can be worn to sleep in. I have done so several times. Cloth is cloth, insulation is insulation.

Carrying the long johns seems to me redundant. I assess you likely will not use them. Convertible slacks are pretty much a standard item along the Camino. Just make certain you do NOT get cotton slacks. They get wet, stay wet, dry slow and do not insulate well.

Your net weight increase should be zero to nil.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your expertise, t2andreo, I value your insights.

I did forget to mention that I'll be on Camino from late September through October. The pants that I would take for dress code requirements are REI Sahara Zip-Offs, nylon, convertible, weighing 16 oz/454 gr with the nylon webbing belt, which weighs more than the two shorts and lightweight long johns combined. I also never hike in pants, only shorts, unless it is during the winter when there is snow in the backcountry. Whether it is -1 C, or 35 C, it is running shorts for me :). The long johns are just a back-up for colder temps or cold rains.

I will think on your suggestion. Again, thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The rain kilt sounds exciting.

Yeah, I can get that. And believe me, I was skeptical about the concept when i first heard about it. But... I tried it and loved it. it goes on super quick and easy; it wraps around and fastens with with velcro. There is elastic in the waist band, so you can easily customize the feeling of the fit. No struggle to pull rain trousers over boots or shoes. The kilt/skirt works great when you are walking through soaked bush or grasses that are heavy with rain or morning dew.

PLUS, since the kilt is a wrap-around that is fastened into place with the velcro, it can also be left opened to be used as a ground sheet for sitting or napping on, or even put up like a small tarp-tent for shade. A great multi-purpose piece of kit for 2.5 oz / 71 gm.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked mid Sept to end Oct. yeah I know slow walker. From memory I wore my silk thermal long pants once and only for a short time one icy morning. On the other hand I wore my rain pants a lot. My sister walked with a rain skirt and she found it was nowhere near as comfortable as rain pants. She has since binned it and now walks with rain pants.

I walked mid Sept to end Oct. yeah I know slow walker. From memory I wore my silk thermal long pants once and only for a short time one icy morning. On the other hand I wore my rain pants a lot. My sister walked with a rain skirt and she found it was nowhere near as comfortable as rain pants. She has since binned it and now walks with rain pants.

I've worn the rain kilt/skirt for many, many trail days while backpacking in the Cascades and the Olympic Mountains... both very wet environments. Rain pants, with heavy exertion while backpacking, would get wet and clammy from perspiration, even with the most advanced waterproof/breathable fabrics made. It is just a matter of personal taste and comfort :)

I've worn the rain kilt/skirt for many, many trail days while backpacking in the Cascades and the Olympic Mountains... both very wet environments. Rain pants, with heavy exertion while backpacking, would get wet and clammy from perspiration, even with the most advanced waterproof/breathable fabrics made. It is just a matter of personal taste and comfort :)
Yep I agree that some rain pants are like that but never once did my Zpack rain pants get wet and clammy and believe me, when I walked in 2015, I wore them a lot. I loved them and wore them again this spring with the same result. And often just as a warm layer. My sister wore the Zpack rain skirt in 2015 which she found to be not comfortable and now she wears their trousers instead. She did the Cradle Mountain track in Tasmania last christmas in the Zpack rain pants and wore them every day. Technology changes so fast these days. Worth shopping around I think. Please no offence meant. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At this time of year you won't find many cool caminos. ....
If you're on the Norte this weekend you sure as heck might. Or, I suspect, Navarra.

I live in Donostia and it's cold wet and windy today. Third day in a row. And expected to be that way a couple days in a row.

A week ago it was 99•F/37•C

My clothing load, for my bottoms, will consist of two pairs of running shorts and one pair of Smartwool lightweight long-johns. About 17 ounces for the lot. My rain kilt adds another 2.5 ounces. It's the same kit that I've used backpacking and has done everything that I need it to do.

EXCEPT.....

Do I need to include a pair of lightweight pants for proper dress code to attend pilgrim masses, tour cathedrals, or eat in establishments? Even with the lightest of backpacking pants, it adds another 10 to 16 ounces of weight that I don't need, other than for required social proprieties. :rolleyes:;)

To be honest I was offended during mass when young tourists (Iperhaps they were pilgrims) walked around taking photos during the pilgrins mass in their bare legs and running shorts , it's a church and there is a dress code. When my hikingnpants were drying, I'd attend mass in leggings with my large scarf wrapped around my bottom as a skirt. Just think it's respect, I've never seen someone attend mass on Sunday in a regular church in shorts. Thanks for being considerate of others who believeva church is a special,place.

To be honest I was offended during mass when young tourists (Iperhaps they were pilgrims) walked around taking photos during the pilgrins mass in their bare legs and running shorts , it's a church and there is a dress code. When my hikingnpants were drying, I'd attend mass in leggings with my large scarf wrapped around my bottom as a skirt. Just think it's respect, I've never seen someone attend mass on Sunday in a regular church in shorts. Thanks for being considerate of others who believeva church is a special,place.

I understand what you are saying but for me it is the behaviour that makes all the difference.

On different occasions in Santiago cathedral I noticed " decent " ( under the knee skirt and long sleeved blouse ) dressed people but talking loudly, chewing gum and /or making pics with a flash.
And I saw pilgrims wearing spandex short bikeshorts sitting very quietly in the pew and praying/ meditating.
I do " like " the second group more....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We had a similar experience in The Cathedral Sabine. We arrived in Santiago for The TRIDUUM! There were clearly pilgrims who might not have dressed as conservatively as Would suite me- but were not distracting me! On the other hand, on Good Friday after it was announced at least five times in numerous languages participants were requested not to take flash photos during mass and to be respectful of those trying to worship. Some folks completely ignored this request, even during the readings!

I think you will find churches pretty tolerant of shorts. I don't wear them myself, but there was nowhere where I went to mass where the pilgrims in shorts were asked to leave.
I brought no pants walked in shorts the whole way! God sees us in our own likeness so in the buff would be appropriate but that's a lot of sunscreen

Yep I agree that some rain pants are like that but never once did my Zpack rain pants get wet and clammy and believe me, when I walked in 2015, I wore them a lot. I loved them and wore them again this spring with the same result. And often just as a warm layer. My sister wore the Zpack rain skirt in 2015 which she found to be not comfortable and now she wears their trousers instead. She did the Cradle Mountain track in Tasmania last christmas in the Zpack rain pants and wore them every day. Technology changes so fast these days. Worth shopping around I think. Please no offence meant. :)

As I said, for some, rain pants or jackets work well, for others, they get condensation from perspiration. Zpacks Ventum (they no longer make) rainpants were tried three years ago for a 21 day backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail. I purchased them when I purchased their rain jacket. They were both returned for refund. Now Zpacks makes the Vertice rain jacket and pants. Tried those last month for a 5 day trip into Glacier Peak Wilderness area where we had nearly constant rain. Again, sent them back for a refund.

I've been chasing the holy grail of waterproof/breathable rain gear since the late 1970's. As with many backpackers, it just isn't breathable enough when I'm having to wear it in pouring rain, carrying a 30 to 40 pound load into wilderness areas, and doing cumulative elevation gains of up to 8,ooo feet over a 28 mile day. Sweat is fierce, and there are no rain jackets/pants that work for me... or for many others. For a good percentage of other folks, like yourself and your wife, they do.

My rain gear, which has worked well for my trip two years ago on the 2650 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail, my trip last year on the Colorado Trail, and hundreds of more miles of high elevation gain, rainy and stormy, high altitude backpacking since then: A Zpacks poncho, shorts, my ULA rain kilt made of Silnylon and not cuben fiber, and if necessary due to cold, a pair of lightweight merino wool long john bottoms. This combination provides the high level of ventilation I need to overcome the waterproof properties of the poncho and rain kilt.

In no way did you didn't offend me :) I think personal observations about gear and the ensuing discussions are fun. And I'm not trying to convince you that what you have choosen for rain gear is incorrect; not by any means. Many share your same preferences with rain gear. My choices are made based on personal preferences as well from my decades of experience in rock and ice climbing ,wilderness backpacking and mountaineering. I have always followed the development of new generations of gear and clothing, including rain gear, quite closely. I have been involved in testing gear for several manufacturers over past years. My choices are not made from ignorance of existing technologies used in rain gear manufacture; when a truely new waterproof/breathable laminate fabric is developed for rain gear, I try it. Perhaps one day, the perfect combination of breathability and waterproof material will be developed. Right now, for me and others, it hasn't.

BTW, Frogg Toggs makes the cheapest waterproof/breathable rain gear out there that is exceedingly breathable. It is also among the most lightweight. It comes closest to venting perspiration at a rate that prevents perspiration soaking. Close... but still not there. The downside of the Frogg Togg type rain gear is what makes it so good--- its laminate system is thin, making it more vulnerable to tearing. That's not a big deal on a trail or on the Camino, but it is murder when bushwacking off-trail. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I thank you very much for your thoughtful observations.

I think you will find churches pretty tolerant of shorts. I don't wear them myself, but there was nowhere where I went to mass where the pilgrims in shorts were asked to leave.
Yes, the last I heard God welcomes all into His house, regardless of the wardrobe. I have often exposed Him to my "chicken legs" and have yet to be struck by lightening.

To be honest I was offended during mass when young tourists (Iperhaps they were pilgrims) walked around taking photos during the pilgrins mass in their bare legs and running shorts , it's a church and there is a dress code. When my hikingnpants were drying, I'd attend mass in leggings with my large scarf wrapped around my bottom as a skirt. Just think it's respect, I've never seen someone attend mass on Sunday in a regularwhat you are wear church in shorts. Thanks for being considerate of others who believeva church is a special,place.
Pictures are one thing but but god only knows your heart! As long as you are on your knees with the transformation bell rings..all is good

Sim

EXCEPT.....

Simple answer; no. The only dress code is that you wear clothes, nudity is frowned upon :) Besides, if you arrive well dressed everyone will assume you are a tourist

Not defending the picture taking behavior, but I doubt God cares much about dress. That isn't to say dress can't be an indicator of respect (it can). But for a pilgrim walking 500 miles to Santiago....... let's just say that outweighs wearing shorts to church by a few thousand miles.

Do I need to include a pair of lightweight pants for proper dress code to attend pilgrim masses, tour cathedrals, or eat in establishments?

I'd worry more about potential rainy conditions than these -- only some high-end establishments in such cities as Leon or Pamplona would be liable to impose an anti-pilgrim-wear dress code, and dress codes at church in continental Europe are nothing like as formal as they can be elsewhere, and particularly these churches along the Camino see short-wearing pilgrims every day and are quite used to them. :p Pilgrim menu places scattered along the Way won't anyway turn a pilgrim away for wearing shorts !!

€83,-
I've never seen someone attend mass on Sunday in a regular church in shorts. Thanks for being considerate of others who believeva church is a special,place.

Funny you should say that... A few months ago, we couldn't make it for Sunday Mass (at our regular Catholic church) so opted to go to the Saturday 6pm one.... We had also planned a walk that Saturday but thought we had plenty of time to go home first and change.
To cut a long story short, it didn't happen and it was either turning up at church in shorts, Tshirts and boots and considerably dishevelled (it was a hard walk!) or not going at all.
We opted for still going, hoping to hide in a corner somewhere. THAT didn't happen either, we were asked to do the Offertary :rolleyes:
There were a lot of giggles in the congregation that day :D :oops:

Do you think we should have stayed at home?

I am with davebugg; I wear shorts and bring some smartwool long underwear bottoms just in case. Last year - May-June - I only wore the long johns once. I like nylon cargo shorts instead of running shorts because I use the pockets for stuff I need to get to all the time. I also brought a lightweight Marmot rain jacket and pants... I wore the rain jacket a few times and the rain pants only once (pain in the neck to put on when it's raining hard. Most of the time it just made sense to keep walking in shorts). As for times I felt any need to "dress up" a bit more, I brought a very lightweight dress, and also wore it while my hiking clothes were drying on the line. Once in a while, at least, it pays to be female.

Do you think we should have stayed at home?

Certainly not! God knows what we all look like, with or without clothes. Sixty years ago, all women attending RC churches in Europe were expected to wear long sleeves, a respectable length skirt, and a mantilla [head scarf] while men would usually wore a suit.
Those days have gone - even in Spain. I was surprised when I went to live there [for ten years] and found that, provided you just behave yourself and let other folk quietly worship in their own way, you will be made most welcome.
My personal experience is that the RC in Spain is a very welcoming church and, especially on camino, will extend a hand of friendship to every respectful pilgrim however dressed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.