• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino during Christmas?

tevisg

We have been thinking about doing the last section of the camino over christmas of this year and wondered if anyone has advice? My husband is an ice climber so for him - no big deal. I hate the cold but something about the camino is calling me...flying in from the US, a week to spend and no rush, which camino? What to bring? What to prepare for? I speak Spanish - just wanting to learn from you experienced pilgrims!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Tsevig,
Welcome to the Forum. Not sure what you mean by the last section of the Pilgrimage but for the moment I'll assume you mean from approx Sarria - 100 or so kilometres to Santiago. I only have experience of the Camino Frances , and not in winter, but I think that within 100 km of Santiago the weather conditions won't vary a great deal.
Sorry for the ice climber, it's not like the North Face of the Eiger! There may be snow (depending where you start) but I think the cold will be more associated with dampness rather than the dry cold of some areas; I think the damp cold penetrates more, but of course it's at the times when you are not moving.
Walking in winter has it's problems in that some refugios and hotels will be closed and over Christmas there may be additional problems, but bear in mind that the big celebration in Spain is 6th January. I don't know if the Spanish people travel during this period or stay at home but it may be something to investigate. I think that if you stay in refugios you will have no problems with heating but don't forget that the days are short for walking in daylight. The CSJ has a guide about walking in winter.
Hope you get more posts to help you on your pilgrimage.
Buen Camino,
Brendan

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,

I've heard a couple of times that to stay in "Ave Fenix" in Villafranca del Bierzo on Christmas is something special.

I know, too, about the special celebration of New Year in the albergue in Fisterra.

Usually the weather will be quite cold but not snow, just rain. The exception points (snow, of course) are the highest, Cebreiro, Cruz de Ferro. Depending on where do you plan to start.

Ask about next open or closed albergues where you stay every night.

Hope to be helpful.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.