• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino during December

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could follow Jo - from this forum - who is walking there right now. She's got her days mixed up a bit - she posted Wedensday 16th December today!

http://www.jo-camino.blogspot.com/

I live just east of Sahagun, and I am traveling the road to Leon a good bit lately as my cat´s veterinarian is in Leon.

The weather lately is clear and cold, (-4C last night) with some snow as you get nearer the mountains. (the mountains dip down near to leon, but you don´t get to them til after Astorga.) Mornings can be foggy, afternoons can be really windy. Nights are sharply cold with amazing star-filled skies. Humidity is high lately, but it´s too cold to be muggy.

LOTS of pilgrims out there, an exceptional number for December. Most of them are smiling!

Reb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Spain Weather - Wednesday December 16 2009

All of Spain is on weather alert today for high waves, snow, rain or low temperatures. Parts of Galicia, Asturias, Aragón, Castilla La Mancha and Castilla y León, are all on orange alert from the Spanish Meteorological Agency AEMET.
All the regions of the country, with the exception of the Balearics are on alert with the snow orange alert warnings to the west of Lugo, NE of Pontevedra, South of Ourense, Centre of Asturias, South of León, Palencia and Burgos, Teruel, Guadalajara and the South of Albacete.

There are yellow alerts for snow and low temperatures for the rest of Galicia, Asturias, Castilla y León, Cantabria, País Vasco, La Rioja, Navarra, Aragón, Comunidad de Madrid, Castilla-La Mancha, Extremadura and the Andalucian provinces of Huelva, Córdoba, Sevilla, Jaén and part of Cádiz.

The snow line will be as low as 100-500m in the north and centre of the country, but this will rise as the day goes on to range between 1000 and 1,900m.

Outlook
There will be some sunshine at times in most areas of the south of the country, but expect the low temperatures to continue with sleet and snow across the country Friday and Saturday and again from Monday.

Greetings from a snowy Astorga!

This morning (in Villar de Mazarife) it started snowing almost as soon as I got up, and the night before it was absolutely freezing. We reckoned minus two or three. It snowed for most of today, luckily though it was dry powdery snow and not the terrible wet stuff that turns into slosh and soaks through everything straight away. It was very nice actually for walking, except the uphill bits were a hard slog. There was about 10cm of snow this afternoon.

Hitting more mountains now... and probably even more snow. Glad I brought that second jumper!

And still smiling, despite getting my crappy results from my end of school exams last night!

-jo

Dear Jo

And still smiling, despite getting my crappy results from my end of school exams last night!

-jo[/quote]

Don't worry about the "crappy results" With the insight and determination you have shown walking the camino new opportunities for the future will open up. Just a matter of waiting and seeing. Love the blog.

Cheers Rose Louise

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wanted to Thank you all for all the responses. Special thanks to Jo who is heroically fighting the good fight against the winter.

Jo> Give yourself a break. Don't be so hard on yourself because of the exams. You're sucsseding in a much greater experience of a lifetime.

I arrive in Sahagun on 23-dec and plan to start walking on the 24-dec. Christmas eve in El Burgo Raneiro and Christams day in Mansilla de las Mulas. I'm hoping there will be places to stay.

Happy Holidays to all of you.

Cheers

Alexandre

Notice to Everyone out there walking the Meseta:

No matter what your guidebook tells you, be warned: There presently are NO albergues open between Calzadilla de la Cueza and Sahagun. The albergue Jacques de Molay in Terradillos will remain closed until Jan. 10; I do not know when the Ledigos albergue will reopen. You can stay here at The Peaceable in Moratinos if there aren´t too many of you -- we can only take five.

After Sahagun (where you may well need to get a hostal room New Year´s Eve and Day, as well as Three Kings Day) everything is closed until El Burgo Ranero, or the Casa Rural in Calzadilla de Hermanillos. Reliegos is open only at the whim of the hospitalero, so ask at the bar.

Good luck, you hardy lot!
Rebekah de Moratinos

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I begin in 3 days time from Pamploma, looks like i ll need to sleep rough if no wheres open in the midlands.

Anyone there at the moment?

Rebekah Scott said:
Notice to Everyone out there walking the Meseta:

No matter what your guidebook tells you, be warned: There presently are NO albergues open between Calzadilla de la Cueza and Sahagun. The albergue Jacques de Molay in Terradillos will remain closed until Jan. 10; I do not know when the Ledigos albergue will reopen. You can stay here at The Peaceable in Moratinos if there aren´t too many of you -- we can only take five.

After Sahagun (where you may well need to get a hostal room New Year´s Eve and Day, as well as Three Kings Day) everything is closed until El Burgo Ranero, or the Casa Rural in Calzadilla de Hermanillos. Reliegos is open only at the whim of the hospitalero, so ask at the bar.

Good luck, you hardy lot!
Rebekah de Moratinos

Thanks for this news and the other related info on your blog. It's not the closing of some refugios that is so bad, but the declaration that they are open. This is so irresponsible.

Artemisofephesus has completed the Camino, and gives a good account of the effect of closed albergues in her blog. Generally, it is the reporting of others, not the albergues themselves, that asserts that a place is open when it is not. The consistently useful advice is to call ahead (or have the hospitalero call ahead for you). It would be a bit much to expect albergues, particularly those run by volunteers, to stay open in winter when there are so few pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
falcon269 said:
It would be a bit much to expect albergues, particularly those run by volunteers, to stay open in winter when there are so few pilgrims.

Not at all what was said! :roll: A spot of close reading is recommended :D

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back