• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino (early March 2012)

crad80

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino Frances (2010 & 2013); Camino Portugues (2011)
Hi Everyone,

This past May, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. I enjoyed it so much I am planning on attempting my second Camino in early of March 2012. Does anyone know the weather conditions during the month of March. When I started my Camino this year, there were patches of snow up in the higher elevations of the Pyrenees. Is the S-J-P-P to Roncesvalles segment even open in early March? I live in Los Angeles; where the weather is warm year round so I was trying to get someone's opinion about starting the Camino the first week of March. Thanks to all who made my first Camino such a memorable experience!!!! I hope to see you all again while following the "yellow arrow." Buen Camino. :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The weather in March can vary from lovely to deadly.

Every few years, a perigrino tries to go from SJPP to Roncesvalles without checking the weather forecast, gets caught in a snow storm and dies. No Kidding.

The key is to ask the weather forecast first thing in the morning at the Camino Office. They will tell you what to expect and if there is a threat of snow, recommend you take the road route to Roncesvalles that runs through the little town of Valcarlos.

My first Camino started on the 8th of April. Snow was forecast and the recommendation was to go by the Valcarlos route which we did. We got 4 inches of wet snow and the Route Napoleon got more. Lots of people went over Route Napoleon that day. I think the path the first pilgrims made in the snow was instrumental in the other pilgrims getting through.

If you go in March, be prepared for cold, wet and muddy conditions. But don't hesitate to go. The blogs written by the "winter" pilgrims are wonderful. There is something like the historic camino in the air, and the few perigrinos are really drawn together.

I have done the Camino twice in march (starting about the 13th both times). In 2009 the pass was a problem and much snow. In 2010 we had to take the Valcarlos route as the Route Napoleon was closed the day we went over. So....early March (and later March as well) is a bit of a gamble.

We had much more rain and stormy windy weather all along the Camino in 2010 with only a few days of really hot weather. We only used our ponchos in 2009 on a couple of days near and after Sarria.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Crad80:

I walked this Spring from SJPdP to Santiago. Left SJPdP on March 24th. It was a beautiful day though there was snow in the pass prior to the descent into Roncesvalles. The weather in general was very good. We only had about 4-5 rain days and it was actually very warm on the Meseta around 90 degrees. Everything was in bloom and it was quite beautiful.

I am thinking about walking again this Spring but starting in Irun (The Camino Vasco) and intersecting the Camino Frances around Santa Domingo de Calzada. There are several places on the Frances I missed and I wanted to change the route up a little. Based on what I have seen on this forum the Tunnel route seems to be sparsely traveled.

Maybe we will see each other on the trail?

Ultreya,
Joe

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back