• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino early March

Natty81

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
Hi all,
I will be walking the Camino starting 04.03.18. I am reasonably fit and walk quite a lot however not usually wearing a backpack! I was wondering if anyone had any advice about walking the camino at this time of year. I hear different things about the weather and I want to pack as light as possibly but be warm enough!
Also, are there many people walking the camino at this time of year and are all parts of the camino usually open?
I have 32ish days for the walk - I hope this is enough as I see some people say it takes longer at this time of year. However, like I said I am used to walking long distances in some bad British weather!
Any advice is much appreciated,
Many thanks
Natalie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Natalie
If you plan to start in Pamplona 32 days is not enough it's cold' rainy and even snowy.
You need to carry a pack because pack transfer might not work in March.
You will need rain and warm gear.
Don't fear though- you will get fit in 4-5 days.
There will be others walking with you, not many but you want hike alone.
Try to stretch it to 35 days.
Look at the maps and calculate 20-24 km per day with a zero day every 7-9 days which is must.

You should also consider bringing a light sleeping bag. Northern Spain temperatures are very similar to the UK's that time of year, and many albergues are not well heated, but if it does warm up or if your load feels too heavy, you can always considering mailing some of your kit back.

Also chat up the locals about the road conditions when you're walking. I did the Frances in March, and the night we were in Larrasoaña, one of our party ended up striking a conversation with the grocery store clerk we were shopping in. The clerk recommended we take the auto road going out of town the next morning because a recent ice storm made the Camino trail really treacherous. It also snowed when we were near Cruz de Ferro! Oh that wacky Northern Spanish Spring weather :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Natalie, according to the Met office it's going to go down to -7 in Pamplona next week (as you might know there's a cold front hitting most of Europe); not so sure of the forecast after that but you can probably expect sub-zero temps at night into the first week or two of March. I've walked this time of year and needed to take off layers at because it can heat up during the day (especially if the sun is shining) - I think your main challenge will be keeping warm at night, so a sleeping bag is a must!

Last year 91 pilgrims who started in Pamplona got their Compostelas in March (this went up to 257 finishing in April from Pamplona) so working back from that that might give you an as to what to expect. [Edit: of course people will start at different points, so as you'll see in the stats a total of 3,004 finished the Frances in March, most of whom joined in Sarria. This total jumps significantly in April due to Easter.)

You can get information about albergues and their opening dates at this website. Just click on the stage ("etapa") and then the albergue's name to see more details.

The only other advice I'd give for now is that you'll be walking over the Easter period (Semana Santa) - this is great as you'll get to see some traditional processions and festivals. The 'downside' is that the Camino might be very busy over this period, as many locals walk for religious reasons. Just be aware that it might be a good idea to book ahead on these dates!

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. I have a light sleeping bag and am obtaining layers! I cannot wait to start.
Unfortunately I only have the 32 days. Hopefully I will not be too slowed down but if I am maybe I will have to get some transport at some point?
I did not realise that you can book accommodation . I thought that you just turned up at the pilgrims hostels? Can you book ahead?
Thanks again, it’s so nice to hear this advice x

Thank you for your responses. I have a light sleeping bag and am obtaining layers! I cannot wait to start.
Unfortunately I only have the 32 days. Hopefully I will not be too slowed down but if I am maybe I will have to get some transport at some point?
I did not realise that you can book accommodation . I thought that you just turned up at the pilgrims hostels? Can you book ahead?
Thanks again, it’s so nice to hear this advice x

Hi again! You can't book at the donativos (donation-based) or municipal (town-sponsored) albergues, but sometimes these only have a limited number of beds so you might need to check into a private albergue. Look at this list of albergues in Sarria, for example: of the 8 albergues listed, only the top one doesn't accept bookings, but it only has 40 beds which will fill up very quickly (as Sarria is just over the 100km required for the Compostela so is a very popular stop). The other albergues on the list all say "si" (yes) under "admite reserva" (allow reservations). I'd probably book ahead during Semana Santa, especially if you are quite close to Santiago by then, as it's bound to be very busy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,
I will be walking the Camino starting 04.03.18. I am reasonably fit and walk quite a lot however not usually wearing a backpack! I was wondering if anyone had any advice about walking the camino at this time of year. I hear different things about the weather and I want to pack as light as possibly but be warm enough!
Also, are there many people walking the camino at this time of year and are all parts of the camino usually open?
I have 32ish days for the walk - I hope this is enough as I see some people say it takes longer at this time of year. However, like I said I am used to walking long distances in some bad British weather!
Any advice is much appreciated,
Many thanks
Natalie
Earliest I have walked is March 17th. What a way for an Irishman to celebrate St Patrick's Day. All I needed extra from my usual gear was a woolen beanie hat and lightweight thermal gloves. The weather was cloudy but pleasant as I left Pamplona. Alto de Perdon was muddy and still had some snow on the ground. By the time we got to Logrono, the sun was out and we were in shorts and teeshirts. In Burgos it started to rain and did so for three days. The meseta from San Bol to Hontanos was a sea of mud. Easter Sunday was dry and warm as I headed home. That was in 2013 but any given March could be completely different.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You never know, it may be the warmest and driest March in northern Spain history. Just no way to know what the weather will be like.
Many pilgrims walk the Camino Frances from Saint Jean to Santiago in 32 days or less. I met several. Not unusual. All depends on the usual factors always mentioned on this forum. Age, weight, physical condition, experience, weather...etc etc etc. I can almost guarantee you there will be many pilgrims who start this month or next who will walk it in around 32 days. Only you know if you can. Don't judge your abilities by other members of this forum's abilities or limitations.
Start in Saint Jean, and if it looks like you will be short for time later on down the Camino, just jump ahead a tad bit via bus. It's quite easy and done all the time. Or as suggested, start in Pamplona. Either way it is a win-win. No bad choices when on a Camino holiday in Spain. ;)
cheers

Last edited:
I arrive in Pamplona on March 1st and after a brief walk over to Decathalon to pick up some cheap walking sticks and a pocket knife (which I left at home since I'm carrying on my backpack), will do the short distance to Cizur Menor where the albergue opens on March 1st. You'll find a few more albergues opening up and by the 15th, (which for you will be probably close to Leon) with many more in anticipation of Easter week.

I've done the majority of my caminos in early spring and I find the temperature the best for walking. In fact most times in March and April I'll be wearing my shorts when it is 10 or above. Looking at the 7 and 14 day reports high temperature are predicted to be around 10 and rain is expected, which this time of year are generally short showers. But as been said, you never know until you get there. The good news is that if it is raining you won't sweat as much under the poncho. And save the plastic shopping bags to wear over your socks!

In early spring caminos some of the prime time infrastructure is not in full swing, so my rule is when a bar is open and coffee is served, its a good idea to stop since the next bar you expect to be open is not (for example the mobile bars like between Estella and Los Arcos). The camino is getting busier every year, so I expect early March may be the new early April.

There are quite a few new hostels in the larger towns that you can find and prebook on Booking.com. Some of these have boutique facilities and luxuries like bed cubicles and privacy curtains and frequently include breakfast.

Finally you should be good with 32 days, unless you take a few zero (rest) days. With your schedule and the Easter calendar you should find the Easter week rush is a few days ahead of you, and in fact will be quieter than usual since the locals want to arrive in Santiago by Good Friday and many of the longer term pilgrims try to avoid the Easter rush by a few weeks.

Great time of year to walk so enjoy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks so much for your responses folks!
I feel reassured after this as I was starting to worry!
Is the Napoleon route open at the moment? I hear the weather is pretty bad/cold there and wondered whether I may have to take an alternative.
Thanks again, this forum is proving so helpful :)

Thanks so much for your responses folks!
I feel reassured after this as I was starting to worry!
Is the Napoleon route open at the moment? I hear the weather is pretty bad/cold there and wondered whether I may have to take an alternative.
Thanks again, this forum is proving so helpful :)
The Napoleon Route is officially closed until April 1st, if I'm not mistaken.
You will be walking the lower (original) route, the Valcarlos. No worries. It's very lovely.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I arrive in Pamplona on March 1st and after a brief walk over to Decathalon to pick up some cheap walking sticks and a pocket knife (which I left at home since I'm carrying on my backpack), will do the short distance to Cizur Menor where the albergue opens on March 1st. You'll find a few more albergues opening up and by the 15th, (which for you will be probably close to Leon) with many more in anticipation of Easter week.

I've done the majority of my caminos in early spring and I find the temperature the best for walking. In fact most times in March and April I'll be wearing my shorts when it is 10 or above. Looking at the 7 and 14 day reports high temperature are predicted to be around 10 and rain is expected, which this time of year are generally short showers. But as been said, you never know until you get there. The good news is that if it is raining you won't sweat as much under the poncho. And save the plastic shopping bags to wear over your socks!

In early spring caminos some of the prime time infrastructure is not in full swing, so my rule is when a bar is open and coffee is served, its a good idea to stop since the next bar you expect to be open is not (for example the mobile bars like between Estella and Los Arcos). The camino is getting busier every year, so I expect early March may be the new early April.

There are quite a few new hostels in the larger towns that you can find and prebook on Booking.com. Some of these have boutique facilities and luxuries like bed cubicles and privacy curtains and frequently include breakfast.

Finally you should be good with 32 days, unless you take a few zero (rest) days. With your schedule and the Easter calendar you should find the Easter week rush is a few days ahead of you, and in fact will be quieter than usual since the locals want to arrive in Santiago by Good Friday and many of the longer term pilgrims try to avoid the Easter rush by a few weeks.

Great time of year to walk so enjoy!
Hi! I am planning to do part of the walk beginning March 1. I don't have more than four days and am thinking of beginning in Portomarin so as not to have too many long walk days. I will be traveling solo and am a bit worried about weather and or being completely alone on this part of the route (for safety reasons) and finding open places to stay. Do you have any suggestions? Would there be a better place to start than Portomarin? I do not need to get the official documents this time around, as I just want to do what's doable in the amount of time I have. Also, traveling from Madrid and unsure as to the details of arrival yet. Thanks so much!

The Napoleon Route is officially closed until April 1st, if I'm not mistaken.
You will be walking the lower (original) route, the Valcarlos. No worries. It's very lovely.
Hi,

I am just wondering what the "officially closed" means. Is it possible that the route is open when the weather conditions allow for it? Or is the lower route the only one you can take? It's just that I keep hearing stories from people who took the Napoleon route in March the last few years and that made me wonder if there are exceptions.

I am excited about the lower route as well, of course!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back