A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Camino effects at home -- years later

Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017
Driving home in the dark a few weeks ago in the pouring rain, my 17yo son asked if I would pull over so he could walk. We hadn't been getting along for a few days and our drive had been silent. We were about 3 miles from home.
"Here?" I asked.
"Yes, here." he said. So I pulled over, and he stepped out into the dark downpour.
I said to him "Buen Camino, Perigrino." He gave me a grin as he swung the car door shut.

So glad we walked together 2015 and 2016.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
At home we all remember and many hope to give back a part of what has been gleaned. Some may serve as hospitaleros offering physical assistance to fellow pilgrims. Others share their journeys anew offering tips/advice by writing to unknown readers as for example in blogs, books or on this Forum....
Every morning I wake and wonder how it might be walking that day in such heat or rain or snow. Every evening when offering silent thanks for the gift of the present day I give special thanks for ten years of personal camino memories and hope that I may "wear" a pilgrim shell until the end.

efdoucette

Camino(s) past & future
2011 Camino Frances
2012 Porto
2013 Le Puy
2014 Francigena
2015 - 2018 More ...
Kelleymac, Nice to hear that your son likes to walk, comes in handy sometimes, like when it's time to find some space. Hopefully it is something he will always enjoy.
I try to walk everyday, my normal is 9 km. Every walk is a treat, I never take it for granted, and every walk at some point reminds me of the Camino. The weather, the terrain, how I feel, memories, hello's & waves ... all take me back to the Camino. The Camino sure has enhanced my life.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
I try to walk everyday, my normal is 9 km. Every walk is a treat, I never take it for granted.
Those words resonate with me. I always feel very privileged to be able to walk. It can be a ‘boring’ (only because so well known) 5 km round walk from my house to town. It can be longer walks further afield I try to do once a week. Whatever. Always a privilege and new things to be discovered every time.
I agree, @efdoucette , walking the Camino did enhance my life too. I didn’t know what I was missing and I am now deeply grateful. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances , St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra May/ June 2017
Le Puy en Velay - Ales May 2018
My mother is on her death bed at the moment , I have lost two uncles and two dear close friends in the last three months, another has a few months to live and I am waiting for results of a scan for cancer myself .
Without the strength and memories gleaned from my last two Caminos I doubt if I would be able to cope . Somehow I have tapped into the collective spiritual strength of pilgrims the world over . For this I am so very grateful .

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis, 2014
Camino Portuguese 2015
Camino Francis, 2016 & Hospitalera in Viana Spain
Etc.
At home we all remember and many hope to give back a part of what has been gleaned. Some may serve as hospitaleros offering physical assistance to fellow pilgrims. Others share their journeys anew offering tips/advice by writing to unknown readers as for example in blogs, books or on this Forum....
Every morning I wake and wonder how it might be walking that day in such heat or rain or snow. Every evening when offering silent thanks for the gift of the present day I give special thanks for ten years of personal camino memories and hope that I may "wear" a pilgrim shell until the end.
As do I.

cathn

Camino(s) past & future
Completed one 550 Miile and six partial caminos
My mother is on her death bed at the moment , I have lost two uncles and two dear close friends in the last three months, another has a few months to live and I am waiting for results of a scan for cancer myself .
Without the strength and memories gleaned from my last two Caminos I doubt if I would be able to cope . Somehow I have tapped into the collective spiritual strength of pilgrims the world over . For this I am so very grateful .
Our thoughts are with you from a fellow pilgrim.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 186 24.5%