• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ended, Sadly

Jodean

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 CF, 17.04.-26.05.22 CF
15.04-31.05.23 CF
Sadly my Camino has come to an end. After the best day & evening yesterday staying at Sant Nikolas albergue between Castrojeriz & Fromista, I missed the step coming into the church at 06:00 in the dark. Fell with all my weight onto my wrist.
Hurt like hell & looked like hell.

The Italian hospitalarios took such loving care with me of me & all my fellow pilgrims helped me too. Packing my bag, putting a splint on my wrist (it looked horrible), getting me coffee and a snack before being picked up. I am ever so grateful to all of them. We were a wonderful international group. Canadian, French, German, Israeli, Australian, Mexican, Lithuanian, & me. Communal dinner by candlelight, ritual feet washing, & hilarious sing along.

The Guardia Civil stopped in to see me too.

Ambulance took me to Palencia hospital where they pulled the bones back into place (yes, this hurt fiercly even tho they gave me a local injected into my hand) & put on a cast for 6 weeks. Spent the morning in the hospital in high pilgrim fashion - nightgown, leggings, fleece and boots.

Took the train to Madrid and husband was able to get me a flight home to Frankfurt at 17:00. Happy to sleep in my own bed, but tremendously sad my camino is over for this year.
The Camino will continue another time. This just wasn’t the year for it, as had also fallen shortly after leaving Zubiri and had spent a day sick with some kind of virus in Puenta la Reina. They took good care of m there too, so shout out for Albergue Puenta.
It has been a lot of fun though & glad I was here.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just because you broke your wrist, you gave up ? :eek:

Where's that Pilgrim grit and determination ? ;)

Seriously, what an unlucky incident. I'd be devastated.
Good thing it wasn't anything worse I suppose.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
You'd better start planning the next one then............ :)

Sad to hear that your camino ended so suddenly and painfully - having broken a wrist myself I really do sympathise. Especially about the pulling and resetting part :oops: Before mine was done I was given a heavy dose of a sedative: they said that it would hurt like hell, I would probably scream obscenities, but the good news is I would not remember any of it later. And they were right on all points ;) I am glad to see that you are taking the experience as positively as anyone could expect with gratitude for all the care received. I think you asked on the APOC Facebook group for the website for the Italian confraternity. I posted an address there but perhaps I could repeat it here anyway: http://www.confraternitadisanjacopo.it/

Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just because you broke your wrist, you gave up ? :eek:

Where's that Pilgrim grit and determination ? ;)

When I was walking the Via Francigena I met a lovely group of six Italians around my age in a bar one afternoon having coffee. When I bumped into them again the next morning further on one of the women had her arm in plaster from her wrist almost up to her shoulder. After leaving the bar she had tripped and fractured her arm. When I asked her why she was still carrying on she smiled and laughed and said that she walked with her legs and not her arm :):D A seriously tough and impressive lady. I'm 100% sure I would have called it a day and come back another time. Am I a man or a mouse? - stop asking daft questions and pass me the cheese! ;)

Hi @Jodean, it seemed inappropriate to ‘like’ your post - but in the absence of an ‘empathy’ button, that’s what I did. I’m so sorry that your Camino came to such an abrupt end. Sending you healing thoughts and HUGE admiration for your attitude and outlook.

Wishing you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. Hope your next Camino is equally memorable, but for very different reasons!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ditto on the sentiments. So sorry you had to abondon your camino in such a painful way but on the positive side I am so happy you are injoying your bed. See there is a positive side to everything . The camino will wait for you and maybe next time it will be as it should be all you hope it will be. Heal well and enjoy being pampered by the family.

Just sayin...but when I work at the Pilgrim office, I regularly see folks with an arm or hand in a cast or sling. When I ask, they usually tell me they fell off the trail, or a biker forced them into a ditch, or they lost their balance, or simply tripped over something (as you did).

To accommodate the disability, they arrange for pack transport, and only carry the bare minimum each day.

That said, it was your Camino. You did what you felt you needed to do.

You will be back...you know you will...;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can totally understand not wanting to walk with a cast on, even though it doesn't effect your legs, it can be uncomfortable, and spoil the rest of the Camino for you. I think that I may have continued, but I don't live in Europe, so it's definitely more expensive and a bigger effort to get to Spain.

I had to abandon my Camino this year after walking 700km on the Norte, as I developed what I think were shin splints, which only got worse when I continued walking. I decided that it was just stupid to walk in pain, and risk a long term injury. But I will be back to finish it! And also walk another route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So sorry to read your post, fortunately it happened in a place where good people could help you and you received good medical treatment. The Camino will be there for you when you have recovered and are able to go to Spain.
All the best to you, Jodean.

Oh, ow!! @Jodean I'm so sorry to hear about this. Good decision to go home and heal, then get back to the Camino when you can. And how lovely to hear of the caring and support you received from those around you.

As I recall, breaking a wrist or arm really makes you realise how much you use your arms and hands for activities you didn't think they were involved in at all! From anchoring a page while writing (with the other hand), to grabbing a branch to steady yourself walking down a rough track, to overall balance while walking or going up and down steps, holding a phone while using the other hand to operate it - you use them all the time without even realising it. In addition to which there is quite a lot of actual pain until the healing process is well underway! My sympathies - rest that arm well, let it heal strongly, and plan your onward Camino (which of course has not really stopped at all!)

Buen healing Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I was walking the Via Francigena I met a lovely group of six Italians around my age in a bar one afternoon having coffee. When I bumped into them again the next morning further on one of the women had her arm in plaster from her wrist almost up to her shoulder. After leaving the bar she had tripped and fractured her arm. When I asked her why she was still carrying on she smiled and laughed and said that she walked with her legs and not her arm :):D A seriously tough and impressive lady. I'm 100% sure I would have called it a day and come back another time. Am I a man or a mouse? - stop asking daft questions and pass me the cheese! ;)
Man or mouse? I thought you were a true pilgrim in that ancient attire, so who's that man in the Avatar? ;)

A good decision to go home. I am glad you were so well looked after. I can see how easily these things can happen in the dark, old buildings and often steps. Recover quickly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry about your accident. Obviously meant that you should complete your Camino another time!
I also slipped (on a slope made for wheel chair access), just 10 days before we were to leave to walk the Portugues from Porto. We left anyway - our flight is long distance and not cheap). I walked with my wrist in plaster, with no problem carrying my pack. However, I could not have done this Camino alone. I needed my husband to help me put on and tie up my boots, put on my backpack, unpack and pack up the backpack and help me wash my hair! The walking was absolutely feasible. About five weeks after my accident, I had the plaster removed in Pontevedra and, for extra protection, I bought a brace for the wrist, as I couldn't imagine what would have happened, should I have then slipped and landed on that wrist!

Last edited:
You poor thing, I'm so sorry to hear that. Wishing u a very speedy recovery and a huge well done on the amount you walked, what you achieved, and getting through the pain and resetting of your wrist(ouch), and making the difficult journey home alone. Hope your resting and being fussed over as you no doubt deserve it.
And for those here who make the point that you walk with your legs not your hands etc, how unhelpful and annoying you are!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

This lady is equally tough and impressive I think!!!!!

Sending you commiserations (having broken my wrist twice in the last 10 years) and good wishes for speedy healing. It’s no fun being in plaster, and the comfort and support of your home environment will help you to mend. The Camino will wait for you, too...

Believe me, I did think about continuing, but after taking about 30 min. just to get my clothing on (pulling up pants with just one hand is harder than it sounds, let alone doing the button with one hand) thinking about taking showers and keeping my cast dry, unable to use poles, the decision to go home was easy. I can come back anytime since I am self employed and sort of live close by.

Wish I could better thank the old man in the hospital who tied my boot strings for me. He had been a guest worker in Germany for 37 years and seemed happy to chat with me in Deutsch while I lay there whimpering from pain. He was there with his wife. Such a sweet old couple. I met so many wonderful, helpful people that day. The lady on the plane that opened all my dining packages, the lady in the hospital parking lot who called a taxi for me, or the lady in the snack bar on the train who opened my muffin and cut it up for me to eat.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sadly my Camino has come to an end. After the best day & evening yesterday staying at Sant Nikolas albergue between Castrojeriz & Fromista, I missed the step coming into the church at 06:00 in the dark. Fell with all my weight onto my wrist.

The Italian hospitalarios took such loving care with me of me & all my fellow pilgrims helped me too. Packing my bag, putting a splint on my wrist (it looked horrible), getting me coffee and a snack before being picked up. I am ever so grateful to all of them. We were a wonderful international group. Canadian, French, German, Israeli, Australian, Mexican, Lithuanian, & me. Communal dinner by candlelight, ritual feet washing, & hilarious sing along.

Ambulance took me to Palencia hospital where they pulled the bones back into place (yes, this hurt fiercly even tho they gave me a local injected into my hand) & put on a cast for 6 weeks. Spent the morning in the hospital in high pilgrim fashion - nightgown, leggings, fleece and boots.

Took the train to Madrid and husband was able to get me a flight home to Frankfurt at 17:00. Happy to sleep in my own bed, but tremendously sad my camino is over for this year.
The Camino will continue another time. This just wasn’t the year for it, as had also fallen shortly after leaving Zubiri and had spent a day sick with some kind of virus in Puenta la Reina. They took good care of m there too, so shout out for Albergue Puenta.

I am very sorry Jodean that you were unable to continue your Camino! what an abrupt and painful ending to yours! I hope your wrist quickly and completely heals and you are soon back on the trail! Ultreia!

It is also a reminder to those of us on the trail right now be mindful of each and every step! Blessings!

Believe me, I did think about continuing, but after taking about 30 min. just to get my clothing on (pulling up pants with just one hand is harder than it sounds, let alone doing the button with one hand) thinking about taking showers and keeping my cast dry, unable to use poles, the decision to go home was easy. I can come back anytime since I am self employed and sort of live close by.

Wish I could better thank the old man in the hospital who tied my boot strings for me. He had been a guest worker in Germany for 37 years and seemed happy to chat with me in Deutsch while I lay there whimpering from pain. He was there with his wife. Such a sweet old couple. I met so many wonderful, helpful people that day. The lady on the plane that opened all my dining packages, the lady in the hospital parking lot who called a taxi for me, or the lady in the snack bar on the train who opened my muffin and cut it up for me to eat.
That's just it! There are do many small things that are difficult to do,with just one working hand. The walking with my backpack was no problem at all.....but I most certainly needed the assistance of Adriaan for some many unimaginable things. (Just thinking about cutting up my meat, putting a plastic bag on my arm with the cast, so as not to get it wet in the shower. Ah, yes......and the daily ritual if washing the clothes ! Well, he had to do that chore

So sorry you fell, Jodean and only YOU know if it was possible to continue or not. I personally would not have continued, so maybe those who would have should start a "big cajones club!"
:)

I second that!
All my best wishes for a speedy recovery. The Camino will still be there :)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Jodean, I add my commiserations. I hope that your wrist heals properly and quickly. You are a great example of seeing the positive in the midst of a seemingly negative happening.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Remember it's not only the injury and break but also the shock to your body . Look after yourself and get well again. I'm sure you'll be back on the Camino before too long.

Last edited:
Hi Jodean,

Maybe I have a strange way of looking at the world, but I see a strange sort of upside to your unfortunate accident. I notice that you mention how many of the people you encountered were very helpful towards you from fellow peringrinos to complete strangers; at the scene, in hospital and on the way home.

I think that most ordinate people, irrespective of their background, whenever they reach out and offer help to another human being who is in need, are also fulfilling a deep inner need to express love. They actually feel better about themselves and the world when they can offer help (love) with no expectation of anything in return.

Your unfortunate incident (and I would not wish it on you or anyone else) at least increased the amount of love in the world.

I wish you a quick and complete recovery and hope you return to the Camino to finish what you have started.

Aidan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry for your news. On 14 September we started with a great group at Orisson, which included a pilgrim from Tel a Viv and a few Americans. We wondered how they were going because we were so slow. Today in León we met a few, some of whom were going strong, some were recovering from the stomach bug going around, and the Israeli pilgrim whom, sadly has such severe sciatica that she is leaving tomorrow. Her ticket is already booked. She’s quite ok with her decision. I was happy to see her but sad for her news. Please take care everyone. Buen Camino

I know how it feels. I had to abandon my 2018 dream in Astorga due to sciatica. Coincidentally I have a broken wrist also from a bike accident in France. I hope I can continue from Astorga in the spring but that is uncertain. Whatever transpires, I walked my Camino...maybe not to Santiago this year, but experienced the joy of walking, thinking, feeling, and most of all sincere friendships. Typing with one hand, I wish you rapid healing and peaceful thoughts. Be gentle with yourself.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I am so very sorry

Hi Jodean
Sorry to hear about your broken wrist, hope all goes well and soon enough you’ll be back to complete it.
This year I got as far as Burgos then my knee went on me, I thought by having a rest day will sort it out.
So caught a taxi to Hornillos spent the night there and started walking next day, the last 1 km to Casrojeriz was painful, finally deciding to call it quits for this year.
Back home and a knee replacement all taken care of, looking forward to complete my Camino in 2020. Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Some Camino are just shorter than others ( and I really don't see the need for others' critique, wait till it happens to you first). It's the journey not the destination, and so glad your destination ended after " the best day and evening."!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.