• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Equipment Videos

D

DavidsRetired

As some are aware, I have established an initiative for soldiers with Operation Stress Injuries (OSI / PTSD) to walk the Camino (April/May 2017). Although we have a way to go, the initiative is doing well, and we have currently garnered 12k in donations.

Regardless, I have received some messages asking for additional information on equipment and how I personally set-up my kit. To this end, I thought I would make/post a few videos on our Royal Camino Facebook page.

As an afterthought, I felt I would post them on this forum as well. I welcome all constructive criticism and feedback.

I apologise for the video quality, but I still hope some find it of use/interest. I’ll post more as time allows.

Cheers,
Dave

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great informational video. I'm bringing a Deuter as well (45+10). I like your idea about the bicycle lights. I bought an additional pouch to add to the front to hold my cell phone, its nice to know that great minds think alike. I'm now curious what is in your pack.

Hi momof34man, glad you liked the video, especially as I am far from natural at making these things :D

Regardless, I will make 1 or 2 more as time allows, and will certainly delve into the contents of my pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for making both of your videos. They are very informative, and I like the personal modifications that you are making to your kit.

If you have the time, please explain where the other end of the shock cord that is hooked to the bottom of the water bottle is attached to. In addition, does the water bottle bounce much as you walk?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for making both of your videos. They are very informative, and I like the personal modifications that you are making to your kit.

If you have the time, please explain where the other end of the shock cord that is hooked to the bottom of the water bottle is attached to. In addition, does the water bottle bounce much as you walk?

Hi skipronin; Once my water bottle is in place and I begin my walk, I never even notice it. If you take the time to adjust the tension on the bungee-cord, it should be find.

I’ve taken some pictures, which may help to show how I’ve attached and modified my gear.

Essentially, I attached an O-ring to my side pouch strap, then tied the bungee-cord to a small carabiner and clipped it on.

I then clipped a second carabiner to the O-ring on my water bottle and put my Backpack on. With the backpack on, I thread the loose end of the bungee-cord through the second carabiner and adjust the tension until the FULL water bottle sits comfortably on my chest. I then mark that spot on the bungee-cord, remove my backpack, and tie the bungee-cord second carabiner. Once completed, I try it all out and adjust as necessary. I was worried that the bungee-cord would come untied, so I used some electrical tape to secure it in place.

You’ll note that I also do something similar with my Shell. On my first Camino, my backpack got pretty beat up with all the other luggage on the aircraft and I lost my shell and a small flashlight. I now use those small O-rings and while travelling, remove all my outer items and tuck them away inside my pack. They simply clip back in place and I’m ready to go.

HTHs!

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• 20160313_091302_A.jpg
    20160313_091302_A.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20160313_091412_A.jpg
    20160313_091412_A.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20160313_091637_A.jpg
    20160313_091637_A.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20160313_091527_A.jpg
    20160313_091527_A.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.