• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Evening in Kiama NSW

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Calling all Camino followers from Wollongong to Nowra the Kiama Library is hosting an evening with author Garry McDougall, author of Spanish Pilgrimage and French Pilgrimage. These two books detail/document his travels along the French and NW Spanish Caminos.
"This is a free event that will take place at the Kiama Library Tuesday 17th February commencing at 6.00 PM." There will also be copies of Garry's books available for purchase for those who are interested. Please contact the library on 02 4233 1133 to book for this informative evening.
(information source Kiama Independent Wed 21 Jan 2015 editi0n).

I am not sure how long the event will go for, but I would not expect it the be more than 1 hour - depends upon how many turn up and how many questions get asked. For those wishing to avail themselves of Kiama's hospitality there are a number of good eating houses that should be open (it being a Tuesday night). Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Interesting that this has popped up again. The Kiama evening was fully booked by the time I found out about it, so determined to go, we went to Gary McDougall's next event in the northern Wollongong suburb of Thirroul. Ian and I were disappointed and both thought it was less about the camino and more about promotion for his books and especially, his walking tour business. He takes groups on the camino for day walks and leads other walking tours elsewhere.

There were a number of wanna-be pilgrims present that night, who were seeking information, but it was limited and even misleading. For instance, re credentials, he told us that it's not necessary to have a credencial to stay in albergues, that there are ways and means to 'get around that'!!

I haven't read his books. They may be OK, but I have doubts about people writing about any camino and being put forward as experts, when they have walked only bits and pieces of the route, and are so obviously promoting a business.

Interesting that this has popped up again. The Kiama evening was fully booked by the time I found out about it, so determined to go, we went to Gary McDougall's next event in the northern Wollongong suburb of Thirroul. Ian and I were disappointed and both thought it was less about the camino and more about promotion for his books and especially, his walking tour business. He takes groups on the camino for day walks and leads other walking tours elsewhere.

There were a number of wanna-be pilgrims present that night, who were seeking information, but it was limited and even misleading. For instance, re credentials, he told us that it's not necessary to have a credencial to stay in albergues, that there are ways and means to 'get around that'!!

I haven't read his books. They may be OK, but I have doubts about people writing about any camino and being put forward as experts, when they have walk

Hi Carol -

Saint Mike II and I had a similar experience to you at the Kiama talk - it was disappointing for us too.

If you're able to, why not join our Pilgrims In Sydney meetings - we're a really friendly group of people who have walked the Camino or who have yet to walk the Camino. We all bowl up at the Sydney RSL Club in George Street, just a couple of doors south of Liverpool Street, in the city. We all share stories, have a meal and a drink, and laugh so much - it's always very casual and we all have such a fantastic time. There are many in the group who've walked a number of caminos as you've done, so you and Ian would have a lot to share. Check out the Pilgrims in Sydney website and Facebook page for further information.

Mike drives up from the Illawarra area and parks at Sutherland Station commuter car park, as I do - I'm at Cronulla. We meet at Sutherland Station and catch the train into the city. We always have a ton to chat about and so the train ride into the city goes by in a flash.

You and Ian would be very welcome to join us at any time -

Cheers - Jenny

Thank you Jenny, for the kind offer. Yes, I will try to get back to the Sydney meetings. We used to go when it was at the Spanish restaurant, but not for a couple of years now. Would be good to get back into the camino spirit. . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Jenny, for the kind offer. Yes, I will try to get back to the Sydney meetings. We used to go when it was at the Spanish restaurant, but not for a couple of years now. Would be good to get back into the camino spirit. . .
Hi Carol - It would be fantastic to see you and Ian there. The RSL Club works really well for us - everyone orders their own meals at the counter outside the kitchen and there's a lot of room for us all. The food is delicious and of course it's at club prices so it's great value. We all leave full of Camino fervour after having a lovely dose of our favourite medication - Camino style!
Cheers - Jenny

Hola Carole - the next meeting (there was one this afternoon) will be the Wednesday evening in July or the Saturday in August which might be a bit more suitable. I usually end up getting home around 10.30/11.00 PM which is no fun on cold winter nights were as the Saturday events are far more user friendly. Send me a PM if you are interested or want a lift to Sutherland. Jenny and I will be away for the Sep & Oct meetings (in Spain). Cheers

Thanks Mike. Appreciate your offer. Will PM you. Cheers, Carole.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.