A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino Fance in April / May sleeping bag question

TLT

Camino(s) past & future
planning 2019
Traveling the Camino Frances starting in Pamplona on April 23. Is a 0 degree sleeping bag overkill? what rating bag should we bring?

Deana

Camino(s) past & future
Planning my first
How many have started the Francés not in perfect shape and made it to Santiago I have 50 days to walk

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
IMHO yes. Speaking in fahrenheit terms, you will never need a bag capable of keeping you comfortable much below 50 degrees. This is because you will always be sleeping indoors. Only the exceptional pilgrim sleeps outdoors.

Even without heat, the temperatures inside an albergue do not go much below the lower 50s (again in fahrenheit).

The considerations in choosing a sleeping bag are: (1) overall weight (2) fill - can you tolerate the lighter down bags, or must you use a synthetic fill? Cost is a relative matter.

Many of us veterans have developed our own solutions over the years. Two major groups use only a sleeping bag liner made of some warm yet small and light material; or a simple down quilt.

Personally, I prefer a microfiber liner with a full zip from Alps Mountaineering. It costs less than USD 30 and fits folded into a one gallon ziplock bag. See it here:

Other folks use sleeping quilts filled with down. Many of these folks obtain down quilts inexpensively at their local COSTCO warehouse stores. They are smaller and lighter than a full sleeping bag, but do the trick when you are sleeping in an albergue bunk bed.

If you do invest in a sleeping bag, consider that you can always put clothes on if you are cold in the bag. Do not overspend on a sleeping bag, in terms of fill power or overall weight.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

gersevink

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino del Norte, Fisterra, Muxia
2015 Via de la Plata Sevilla Santiago
2016 Camino Portugues
[QUOTE = "Deana, bericht: 712282, lid: 82121"]
Hoevelen zijn begonnen met de Francés niet in perfecte vorm en zijn in Santiago gekomen. Ik heb 50 dagen om te lopen
[/CITAAT]
ik geen antwoord op de gestelde vraag!

Dorpie

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Traveling the Camino Frances starting in Pamplona on April 23. Is a 0 degree sleeping bag overkill? what rating bag should we bring?
Hi TLT, welcome to the forum.

I would say almost certainly yes, that would be overkill. When I set off just a week later than you 4 years ago I was only cold once at O Cebreiro using just a coolmax material sleeping bag liner. Admittedly I tend to be hot when I sleep but bearing in mind that many albergues have blankets available I just don't think such a bulky bag is needed.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

TLT

Camino(s) past & future
planning 2019
IMHO yes. Speaking in fahrenheit terms, you will never need a bag capable of keeping you comfortable much below 50 degrees. This is because you will always be sleeping indoors. Only the exceptional pilgrim sleeps outdoors.

Even without heat, the temperatures inside an albergue do not go much below the lower 50s (again in fahrenheit).

The considerations in choosing a sleeping bag are: (1) overall weight (2) fill - can you tolerate the lighter down bags, or must you use a synthetic fill? Costis a relative matter.

Many of us veterans have developed our own solutions over the years. Two major groups use only a sleeping bag liner made of some warm yet small and light material; or a simple down quilt.

Personally, I prefer a microfiber liner with a full zip from Alps Mountaineering. It costs less than USD 30 and fits folded into a one gallon ziplock bag. See it here:

Other folks use sleeping quilts filled with down. Many of these folks obtain down quilts inexpensively at their local COSTCO warehouse stores. They are smaller and lighter than a full sleeping bag, but do the trick when you are sleeping in an albergue bunk bed.

If you do invest in a sleeping bag, consider that you can always put clothes on if you are cold in the bag. Do not overspend on a sleeping bag, in terms of fill power or overall weight.

Hope this helps.

If you inv
Thanks, this is very hepful

TLT

Camino(s) past & future
planning 2019
Hi TLT, welcome to the forum.

I would say almost certainly yes, that would be overkill. When I set off just a week later than you 4 years ago I was only cold once at O Cebreiro using just a coolmax material sleeping bag liner. Admittedly I tend to be hot when I sleep but bearing in mind that many albergues have blankets available I just don't think such a bulky bag is needed.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thanks for sharing this helpful advice.

Luther

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
April 20, 2016 to May 20, '16 SJPdP to Santiago d C.
I started from SJPdP on April 20, '16 and brought only a thin permethrin treated silk liner. It was enough, but just barely. I used some albergue blankets when available, but was not real comfortable about the cleanliness of the blankets. I slept in my clothes every night. If I get to go again, I'll bring a 30 degree down sleeping bag as light and compact as I can find. Buen Camino!

RR3

Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona-Logrono (2019)
Buen Camino! I arrive in Pamplona on the same day but won't start walking until the 24th- maybe our paths will cross? First time for me too but I can't stand being cold at night and with the unpredictable European weather at the moment I will def bring a bag.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%