• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Fance in April / May sleeping bag question

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How many have started the Francés not in perfect shape and made it to Santiago I have 50 days to walk

IMHO yes. Speaking in fahrenheit terms, you will never need a bag capable of keeping you comfortable much below 50 degrees. This is because you will always be sleeping indoors. Only the exceptional pilgrim sleeps outdoors.

Even without heat, the temperatures inside an albergue do not go much below the lower 50s (again in fahrenheit).

The considerations in choosing a sleeping bag are: (1) overall weight (2) fill - can you tolerate the lighter down bags, or must you use a synthetic fill? Cost is a relative matter.

Many of us veterans have developed our own solutions over the years. Two major groups use only a sleeping bag liner made of some warm yet small and light material; or a simple down quilt.

Personally, I prefer a microfiber liner with a full zip from Alps Mountaineering. It costs less than USD 30 and fits folded into a one gallon ziplock bag. See it here:

Other folks use sleeping quilts filled with down. Many of these folks obtain down quilts inexpensively at their local COSTCO warehouse stores. They are smaller and lighter than a full sleeping bag, but do the trick when you are sleeping in an albergue bunk bed.

If you do invest in a sleeping bag, consider that you can always put clothes on if you are cold in the bag. Do not overspend on a sleeping bag, in terms of fill power or overall weight.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
[QUOTE = "Deana, bericht: 712282, lid: 82121"]
Hoevelen zijn begonnen met de Francés niet in perfecte vorm en zijn in Santiago gekomen. Ik heb 50 dagen om te lopen
[/CITAAT]
ik geen antwoord op de gestelde vraag!

Traveling the Camino Frances starting in Pamplona on April 23. Is a 0 degree sleeping bag overkill? what rating bag should we bring?

Hi TLT, welcome to the forum.

I would say almost certainly yes, that would be overkill. When I set off just a week later than you 4 years ago I was only cold once at O Cebreiro using just a coolmax material sleeping bag liner. Admittedly I tend to be hot when I sleep but bearing in mind that many albergues have blankets available I just don't think such a bulky bag is needed.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

IMHO yes. Speaking in fahrenheit terms, you will never need a bag capable of keeping you comfortable much below 50 degrees. This is because you will always be sleeping indoors. Only the exceptional pilgrim sleeps outdoors.

Even without heat, the temperatures inside an albergue do not go much below the lower 50s (again in fahrenheit).

The considerations in choosing a sleeping bag are: (1) overall weight (2) fill - can you tolerate the lighter down bags, or must you use a synthetic fill? Costis a relative matter.

Many of us veterans have developed our own solutions over the years. Two major groups use only a sleeping bag liner made of some warm yet small and light material; or a simple down quilt.

Personally, I prefer a microfiber liner with a full zip from Alps Mountaineering. It costs less than USD 30 and fits folded into a one gallon ziplock bag. See it here:

Other folks use sleeping quilts filled with down. Many of these folks obtain down quilts inexpensively at their local COSTCO warehouse stores. They are smaller and lighter than a full sleeping bag, but do the trick when you are sleeping in an albergue bunk bed.

If you do invest in a sleeping bag, consider that you can always put clothes on if you are cold in the bag. Do not overspend on a sleeping bag, in terms of fill power or overall weight.

Hope this helps.

If you inv
Thanks, this is very hepful

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi TLT, welcome to the forum.

I would say almost certainly yes, that would be overkill. When I set off just a week later than you 4 years ago I was only cold once at O Cebreiro using just a coolmax material sleeping bag liner. Admittedly I tend to be hot when I sleep but bearing in mind that many albergues have blankets available I just don't think such a bulky bag is needed.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thanks for sharing this helpful advice.

I started from SJPdP on April 20, '16 and brought only a thin permethrin treated silk liner. It was enough, but just barely. I used some albergue blankets when available, but was not real comfortable about the cleanliness of the blankets. I slept in my clothes every night. If I get to go again, I'll bring a 30 degree down sleeping bag as light and compact as I can find. Buen Camino!

Traveling the Camino Frances starting in Pamplona on April 23. Is a 0 degree sleeping bag overkill? what rating bag should we bring?
Buen Camino! I arrive in Pamplona on the same day but won't start walking until the 24th- maybe our paths will cross? First time for me too but I can't stand being cold at night and with the unpredictable European weather at the moment I will def bring a bag.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.