• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Fances - walking Pic D'Orisson - taking a cab back nd starting next morning

MEM_Texas

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Sarria to Santiago
Plan: St Jean to Sarria, Santiago to Muxia
Dear Friends;

I want to complete the Camino Frances and want to use the Napoleon Route. I have arthritis in both my knees and the first section will be very difficult for me to complete. So, wondered if I can walk to Pic D'Orrison which is about halfway, take a cab back to the hotel and start the next morning take a cab to exact same spot and start again. In that manner I am feel I have a better opportunity of making it to Roncesvalles.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Friends;

I want to complete the Camino Frances and want to use the Napoleon Route. I have arthritis in both my knees and the first section will be very difficult for me to complete. So, wondered if I can walk to Pic D'Orrison which is about halfway, take a cab back to the hotel and start the next morning take a cab to exact same spot and start again. In that manner I am feel I have a better opportunity of making it to Roncesvalles.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards

Hello, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum, MEM. :)

Yes, you can do that or schedule the trip with Express Bouricott. Although I prefer to walk to Roncesvalles in one day, if I were to break up that section into two stages, I would do what you propose to do.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can get a cab back and then a cab to Orisson. Depending on when you are going the Napoleon route may be closed. It is only about 1/3 of the stage to Orrison but it is the toughest part. With you knee problems I would recommend that when you get to the downhill which is about 5K out of Roncesvalles take the alternative route that is to the right. You can search here for more information about this. I know the Brierley guide has information about it. Make sure you have poles and zig zag on downhills. Don't walk straight down. The downhills will be much tougher on your knees than the uphills.

With you knee problems I would recommend that when you get to the downhill which is about 5K out of Roncesvalles take the alternative route that is to the right.
I would recommend that everyone take the alternative route to the right. No point risking injury when you are just starting out!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used Express Bourricot this past April - their “Mountain Shuttle” let me break the trek to Roncesvalles in half. Plus I was able to leave most of my pack contents behind while taking on all of day ones elevation gain. I made Shuttle reservation on their website - https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/.

So, wondered if I can walk to Pic D'Orrison which is about halfway, take a cab back to the hotel and start the next morning take a cab to exact same spot and start again.
Pic d'Orisson is a bit vague as a pick-up location since it is just a rocky outcrop to the left of the path and there is no sign pointing it out. Getting picked up by a motor car and starting from the same spot the next day has become a regular feature. Arrange with a taxi driver or with Express Bourricot as already suggested.

You may already have seen their website with their standard pick-up and drop-off points: Huntto, Orisson albergue, Virgin Mary statue and Thibault cross. Drop-off in the morning is around 9:00 and pick-up in the afternoon is around 14:00.

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 21.56.17.png

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Orisson albergue has limited beds, requires reservations and does a touchy feeling bonding exercise that is not everyone's cup of tea. Using the shuttle means you can walk the hardest uphill without all your gear.

It's good to have options.

Bonding exercise?? I booked a night there, now I'm a bit worried, haha.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All they do is ask that each person stand up, say their name, where there are from, and why they are doing the Camino. You can just say your name and where you are from if you want.

Oh ok, that's doesn't sound bad, cheers.

MEM,

You do exactly that. This is YOUR Camino, not anyone elses. Take all the taxis, buses, ect you need to complete exactly as much of your Camino as you wish. There is no Camino police to haul you in for questioning.

Go and walk your own Camino.

M

I couldn’t get a bed in Orisson, so I did basically that. I walked to Orisson, with no backpack, had lunch, and rode with an Orisson employee back to St. Jean. Next morning, one of the workers picked me up (I was on the road, waiting), had breakfast on the patio and finished my walk. I could have done it in one day, but too many people on this forum made it sound too difficult. The sun was out and I had a great two days walking. Also, got to spend two nights in St. Jean.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back