• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Featured on ABC (Oz) Radio National

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And so, after the Brazilians, the Germans and the Coreans we are finally able to welcome the Kiwis flying over the Camino ;) SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you. Indeed it is. I am now puzzled how Mike was listening to it at 8.47 AEDT (on the basis of the time stamp on his post) and it wasn't broadcast until 9.45 AEDT according to the ABC site.
It was broadcast at 9.45 in Perth, so it would have been 2 or 3 hours earlier in the Eastern States.

Thanks Mike for alerting us all to this interview, and to Pat for providing the link. It was a GREAT interview!

For those Forum members who are not aware of it and may be interested to know more, Janet Leitch is the Chairman of the Australian Friends of the Camino. The group publishes a regular newsletter which is full of fantastic Camino news, stories, notices of the meetings of various Camino groups around the country, and even 'Camino' recipes! Janet is a person who has made the Camino a large part of her life and, in her kindness in sharing the Camino with other Australian pilgrims, has contributed in a major way to the Australian Camino community over many years.

Janet is a Member of the Order of Australia (South Australia), an award given to her for her services to her local community in the Adelaide Hills and for her work as part of the Scouting movement in Australia.

Cheers to all - Jenny

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It was broadcast at 9.45 in Perth, so it would have been 2 or 3 hours earlier in the Eastern States.
RN is not broadcast simultaneously in the different states. Depending on the time difference, the broadcasts to central Australia and WA are delayed. I know that there are some shows that get broadcast simultaneously in eastern and central time zones, which does create the effect you describe, but I don't think this applies to the Saturday . Besides, Mike normally resides in NSW, so I would have expected him to be on AEDT. I think it will remain a puzzle.

Thanks Mike for alerting us all to this interview, and to Pat for providing the link. It was a GREAT interview!

For those Forum members who are not aware of it and may be interested to know more, Janet Leitch is the Chairman of the Australian Friends of the Camino. The group publishes a regular newsletter which is full of fantastic Camino news, stories, notices of the meetings of various Camino groups around the country, and even 'Camino' recipes! Janet is a person who has made the Camino a large part of her life and, in her kindness in sharing the Camino with other Australian pilgrims, has contributed in a major way to the Australian Camino community over many years.

Janet is a Member of the Order of Australia (South Australia), an award given to her for her services to her local community in the Adelaide Hills and for her work as part of the Scouting movement in Australia.

Cheers to all - Jenny
As Jenny has pointed out, Janet is the chairwoman of the Australian Friends Of The Camino www.afotc.org
which is the national organisation of the Australian camino movement. They can provide any Aussie pilgrim with the official Australian Credential, if they become a member of AFOTC, just go to their website to look up the details. You can also read back issues of their newsletters.

Janet has just finished walking from the top of England to the bottom, now she heads for Germany to walk from there to Santiago de Compostela. She has the disease bad.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
RN is not broadcast simultaneously in the different states. Depending on the time difference, the broadcasts to central Australia and WA are delayed. I know that there are some shows that get broadcast simultaneously in eastern and central time zones, which does create the effect you describe, but I don't think this applies to the Saturday . Besides, Mike normally resides in NSW, so I would have expected him to be on AEDT. I think it will remain a puzzle.
Doug, it may be a puzzle, but, does it really matter in the scheme of things?....just saying.

Hello all in Oz - ABC RN is right now broadcasting an article concerning a women (Janet) who is about to start her 5th Camino. Stay tuned. Cheers to all
Thanks for alerting us to this, Saint Mike II - lovely interview, and great to hear two such knowledgeable and experienced people talking about the Camino and giving such a clear and concise outline of what it is.

You don't see many Kiwis on the Camino but I've found that the ones that do turn up can be quite aggressive if told 'no' for any reason at all!
I took this video of a group of Kiwi pilgrims just after the heavily bearded hospitelaro told them the refugio was full - they went into the back of the garden, stripped off their clothes and rushed back out and confronted him ... he changed his mind and let them in to sleep on the floor afterwards, not sure why .... (I've added some sub-titles for you ;))

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You don't see many Kiwis on the Camino but I've found that the ones that do turn up can be quite aggressive if told 'no' for any reason at all!
I took this video of a group of Kiwi pilgrims just after the heavily bearded hospitelaro told them the refugio was full - they went into the back of the garden, stripped off their clothes and rushed back out and confronted him ... he changed his mind and let them in to sleep on the floor afterwards, not sure why .... (I've added some sub-titles for you ;))

Top work David! Now tell us all, at which albergue did you film this video???;)
BTW, I have it on good authority that the KILT was modelled on the excellent design of the Maori Piupiu ... with appropriate modification of fabric to allow for those freezing Scottish 'heeland' gales! :D

Which refugio? errmm .. let me think ....

would be brilliant, Jenny, were the kilt modelled on Maori fashion - unfortunately the Scottish kilt is hundreds of years older than the discovery of New Zealand - so more likely to be the other way round!! - Whoever invented trousers for men (the Celts I think) were very silly!

Which refugio? errmm .. let me think ....

would be brilliant, Jenny, were the kilt modelled on Maori fashion - unfortunately the Scottish kilt is hundreds of years older than the discovery of New Zealand - so more likely to be the other way round!! - Whoever invented trousers for men (the Celts I think) were very silly!

A-Ha! When you recall the name of the refugio, please do share it with us all! That garden looked so lush and green - the refugio must have been in Galicia! ;)

Now, to the Piupiu and the Kilt ... consulting the World Wide InterWeb it seems that the Polynesians first landed in New Zealand around 1,000 years ago, no doubt wearing their piupius as they rowed to shore ... whereas the kilt, as worn in Scotland, seems to date from around 1578! Versions of the kilt from Ireland date back to earlier centuries but the Scottish kilt dates back to the 16th century, if one can believe what one reads on the net, so the piupiu is older! :p

I think you may be correct about who invented the trousers ... references to them being worn in China (no doubt a prototype!) in ancient times also appear on the WWIW.

Cheers!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah, but Cook didn't arrive until 1769!
Yes, but Kupe, was the first explorer to reach New Zealand. Using the stars and ocean currents as his navigational guides, he ventured across the Pacific on his waka hourua (voyaging canoe) from his ancestral Polynesian homeland of Hawaiki.
It is thought that Kupe made landfall at the Hokianga Harbour in Northland, around 1000 years ago.:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yep, sure, I get all that (I don't really care about this you know :)) but there would have to be a transfer of cultural information from New Zealand to Scotland and as far as I know the Polynesians didn't go on holiday to Scotland 500 years ago (not sure they do today).... anyway, we all know that Kiwis can't fly.

Wikipedia says that an Englishman invented the modern (18thC) kilt ...

"The kilt first appeared as the great kilt, the breacan or belted plaid, during the 16th century, and is Gaelic in origin. The filleadh mhòr or great kilt was a full-length garment whose upper half could be worn as a cloak draped over the shoulder, or brought up over the head. A version of the filleadh bheag (philibeg), or small kilt (also known as the walking kilt) similar to the modern kilt was invented by an English Quaker from Lancashire named Thomas Rawlinson sometime in the 1720s. He felt that the belted plaid was "cumbrous and unwieldly", and his solution was to separate the skirt and convert it into a distinct garment with pleats already sewn, which he himself began wearing. His associate, Iain MacDonnell, chief of the MacDonnells of Inverness, also began wearing it, and when the clansmen the two employed in logging, charcoal manufacture, and iron smelting, saw their chief wearing the new apparel, they soon followed suit. From there its use spread "in the shortest space" amongst the Highlanders, and even amongst some of the Northern Lowlanders.[1] It has been suggested there is evidence that the philibeg with unsewn pleats was worn from the 1690s.[2]"

I rest my case!

Last edited:
Yep, sure, I get all that (I don't really care about this you know :)) but there would have to be a transfer of cultural information from New Zealand to Scotland and as far as I know the Polynesians didn't go on holiday to Scotland 500 years ago (not sure they do today).... anyway, we all know that Kiwis can't fly.

Wikipedia says that an Englishman invented the modern (18thC) kilt ...

"The kilt first appeared as the great kilt, the breacan or belted plaid, during the 16th century, and is Gaelic in origin. The filleadh mhòr or great kilt was a full-length garment whose upper half could be worn as a cloak draped over the shoulder, or brought up over the head. A version of the filleadh bheag (philibeg), or small kilt (also known as the walking kilt) similar to the modern kilt was invented by an English Quaker from Lancashire named Thomas Rawlinson sometime in the 1720s. He felt that the belted plaid was "cumbrous and unwieldly", and his solution was to separate the skirt and convert it into a distinct garment with pleats already sewn, which he himself began wearing. His associate, Iain MacDonnell, chief of the MacDonnells of Inverness, also began wearing it, and when the clansmen the two employed in logging, charcoal manufacture, and iron smelting, saw their chief wearing the new apparel, they soon followed suit. From there its use spread "in the shortest space" amongst the Highlanders, and even amongst some of the Northern Lowlanders.[1] It has been suggested there is evidence that the philibeg with unsewn pleats was worn from the 1690s.[2]"

I rest my case!
Case rested David! Those with a Polynesian heritage who reside in New Zealand do visit Scotland from time to time these days - very successfully too - some of the players in the All Blacks Rugby Team! :) But that's another story ... ;)
Manuia! (Cheers!)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.