• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Finances

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
My wife and I finished the Camino Frances on April 5th, 2018, in 27 days. We had a blast but I have a few observations on finances. All notes below relate to 2 people and our experience may differ from others. Aiming to give s simple summary of one topic I found confusing on this forum
  1. Credit card is usable most places. We found most (80%) Albergues, cafe's etc accepted. But you still need cash and we avoided the municipal and church refuges - I understand they mostly do not take cards
  2. ATM is easy to find, we took out 400 Euros 3 times along the walk. Plan ahead, all decent size cities/ towns have them
  3. Costs for 2 people in private room averaged EU35 for accomm and in total we were about EU 90 per day for 2 of us
  4. The cost no one mentions is pharmacy - we spent about EU30 every 3/4 days mostly on tape, vaseline, bandages, blister packs etc and cold tablets (it was very cold and wet). That worked out at about EU5pp pr day. That was a surprise to me
  5. A solo person can easily get by on 30-35 a day. We met a young guy who was walking long distances (40km) to reduce the days and get to donation hostels. He was surviving on less than 25/day and probably finished in 22-24 days based on his daily mileage
  6. We had no security issues, I kept our cash on one of us at all times
  7. Large cities (particularly Burgos) have fake pilgrims near the cathedrals scamming that they have had their money stolen and no one to help them.
This may not apply to everyone but I think that our experience was different to what others have shared on this forum so thought this might help

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your pharmacy costs seem staggering. You must have had a very rough time of it! I have occasionally had to buy painkillers, tape or compression bandages on my walks but never in the quantities or at the cost you describe. Unless someone has a specific and serious medical problem then I doubt it would normally be necessary to budget 5 euro per day for pharmacy items.

I would have spent close to that I think. Strapping tape is not cheap. And I use non stretch on my Achilles and K Tape on shins .... daily.
I was about to get another roll of K Tape here in Bangkok before we board our flight for Paris tonight. 750 Baht! (A$30). No way. I’ll get it in Spain....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your pharmacy costs seem staggering. You must have had a very rough time of it! I have occasionally had to buy painkillers, tape or compression bandages on my walks but never in the quantities or at the cost you describe. Unless someone has a specific and serious medical problem then I doubt it would normally be necessary to budget 5 euro per day for pharmacy items.
not really. typical for quite a few of the folks hiking around us. Pharmacy prices in Spain a quite high - as is the quality of the products. Mostly paper tape, bandaids and elastopast tape plus vaso, ibuprofen and blister packs - we replaced them daily as they didn't perform as well as promised and they are not cheap

Walking right now as a couple and your costs match ours (except the pharmacy because we have fortunately remained injury free!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.