• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Finisterre and a walk to the Lighthouse avoiding the road.

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
A bit more than a week ago, following my Camino Primitivo, I did Santiago - Fisterra (35, 25 and 36 km) and was quite pleasantly surprised how few people were actually walking. Not crowded at all. :cool:
But what this post really is about: Unlike my first visit to Fisterra in 2019, this time I chose to walk the last few km to the lighthouse on the far side of the hill to avoid the tarmac road and the busses and all that. What a great experience! I attached also an image of the gps-track.
You start the walk on the ridge half way between the centre of Fisterra and Mar de Fóra (perfect sunset beach) ... follow the ridge southbound past the last houses and on tiny paths. Then you follow the western coastline high above the cliffs. Beautiful views, hardly any people and no cars or busses.
First three images were from walking Santiago - Fisterra, followed by the alternative lighthouse hike, my room with a view and the final sunset at Mar de Fóra.
IMG_3142.jpegIMG_3194.jpegIMG_3231.jpegIMG_3303.jpegIMG_3266.jpegIMG_3299.jpegIMG_3342.jpegIMG_3339.jpegIMG_3305.jpegIMG_3401.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's certainly a glorious route: I walked back to the town than way a few weeks ago after following the road route out towards the Cape. There's also an alternative which cuts out some of the road route. Just after the statue of the pilgrim alongside the road, there is a signposted track leading down towards the cemetery. Before you get to the cemetery you come to a wide grassy track which runs along the contour some way below the road. Bliss: for a short period the traffic noise was replaced by birdsong and the sound of the sea. The track joins another dirt track which climbs up to come out by the stone cross at the Cape, just before all the souvenir shops. You can see this route quite clearly on the satellite view on GoogleMaps. The whole makes a very enjoyable circular walk from the town.

A bit more than a week ago, following my Camino Primitivo, I did Santiago - Fisterra (35, 25 and 36 km) and was quite pleasantly surprised how few people were actually walking. Not crowded at all. :cool:
But what this post really is about: Unlike my first visit to Fisterra in 2019, this time I chose to walk the last few km to the lighthouse on the far side of the hill to avoid the tarmac road and the busses and all that. What a great experience! I attached also an image of the gps-track.
You start the walk on the ridge half way between the centre of Fisterra and Mar de Fóra (perfect sunset beach) ... follow the ridge southbound past the last houses and on tiny paths. Then you follow the western coastline high above the cliffs. Beautiful views, hardly any people and no cars or busses.
First three images were from walking Santiago - Fisterra, followed by the alternative lighthouse hike, my room with a view and the final sunset at Mar de Fóra.
View attachment 148646View attachment 148652View attachment 148653View attachment 148654View attachment 148657View attachment 148659View attachment 148660View attachment 148661View attachment 148662View attachment 148663
Is it posible for you to describe in details where to start, are there any signs or…
thank you😊😊

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is it posible for you to describe in details where to start, are there any signs or…
thank you😊😊
There are no signs and it feels like you are on the wrong path in the beginning as it gets more and more narrow and one might think it only leads to the last houses.
So GPS helps ... or follow your instinct ;-) Actually, already looking at google maps zoomed in while you walk helps showing the right way as you see that your track is not going to become a dead end :)

That is almost my route, except I did not start at the beach but right on the ridge where my accommodation was and then I cur one corner you did not cut ;-)
I didn't start at the beach either. I walked through a residential area to find the trail. I just wanted to show that it's on the mapy.cz app.

¿Es posible que describa en detalle por dónde empezar, hay señales o...
gracias😊😊
Buenas tardes @sarria2022 . La tienes perfectamente descrita en la etapa 05 Fisterra - Faro de Finisterre de la guia web Gronze.com :
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/fisterra/faro-finisterre

Google translate: Good afternoon @ sarria2022. You have it perfectly described in stage 05 Fisterra - Finisterre Lighthouse of the Gronze.com web guide:

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buenas tardes @sarria2022 . La tienes perfectamente descrita en la etapa 05 Fisterra - Faro de Finisterre de la guia web Gronze.com :
But on the map the dashed line is the path right across the hill, not the one following the western cliffs.

Pero en el mapa, la línea discontinua es el camino que cruza la colina, no el que sigue a los acantilados del oeste.
Ambas rutas son bonitas e intuitivas... Una vez estás en una u otra es imposible perderse

Google translate: Both routes are beautiful and intuitive... Once you are on one or the other it is impossible to get lost

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no signs and it feels like you are on the wrong path in the beginning as it gets more and more narrow and one might think it only leads to the last houses.
So GPS helps ... or follow your instinct ;-) Actually, already looking at google maps zoomed in while you walk helps showing the right way as you see that your track is not going to become a dead end :)
Perfect thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Qué ayuda, muchas gracias 🥰

I walked that route during my day of exploration of Fisterra from my pension that was already near the top of the hill. Only I walked a lower trail up from the beach on the backside first that ended up requiring quite a steep climb back to the actual marked trail. It definitely afforded spectacular views and perfect lack of other pilgrims. 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back