Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Camino Finisterre December/Jan

aeveling

We have now decided to add a few more days to our circular trip SDC - Finisterre - Muxia - SDC.
Our dates are 23rd December to 4th January and we were wondering how the Spanish celebrate Christmas/New Year. When will refuges,hostels, supermarkets, cafes etc be closed?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hi

Spaniards take these holydays very seriously! Even in rural Spain there will be fireworks on New Years eve. I suspect albergues will be open - why not ask Javier Martin to e mail his contacts on this route just to check.

It is a very lovely route - I'm already jealous of the quiet beauty you will experience at this time of the year.

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
I am not sure about northern Spain, but further south I found that Christmas was relatively low-key...it was the Feast of the Three Kings on Jan 5/6 when children were given gifts and all sorts of lively things happened. But New Year's Eve was certainly a "biggie"!

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
absolutely right that the Feast of the Kings is more populist than Christmas - even in small villages there will be processions and floats with the bystanders showered with sweets from the Kings. I think a lovely custom is the children putting out their shoes to be filled with presents the same as we would hang up our stockings. But you know churches are still full for Midnight Mass on the Noche Buena but of course the revelry is kept for the Noche Vieja when the old night can be celebrated almost as well as a good old fashioned hogmanay! :)

schui

Old threads coming back to life. I noticed a fair few homes farms, in and around muxia from google earth.
Question: Can you stay in Muxia for say a week or so without problem, either camping or alberques, posada etc...
I just think and correct me if iam wrong, is it not better to use older threads, for the same topic or close to the subject then starting up a new topic, cheers.

gsm,

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store