• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Finisterre December/Jan

Andrewere

We have now decided to add a few more days to our circular trip SDC - Finisterre - Muxia - SDC.
Our dates are 23rd December to 4th January and we were wondering how the Spanish celebrate Christmas/New Year. When will refuges,hostels, supermarkets, cafes etc be closed?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi

Spaniards take these holydays very seriously! Even in rural Spain there will be fireworks on New Years eve. I suspect albergues will be open - why not ask Javier Martin to e mail his contacts on this route just to check.

It is a very lovely route - I'm already jealous of the quiet beauty you will experience at this time of the year.

I am not sure about northern Spain, but further south I found that Christmas was relatively low-key...it was the Feast of the Three Kings on Jan 5/6 when children were given gifts and all sorts of lively things happened. But New Year's Eve was certainly a "biggie"!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
absolutely right that the Feast of the Kings is more populist than Christmas - even in small villages there will be processions and floats with the bystanders showered with sweets from the Kings. I think a lovely custom is the children putting out their shoes to be filled with presents the same as we would hang up our stockings. But you know churches are still full for Midnight Mass on the Noche Buena but of course the revelry is kept for the Noche Vieja when the old night can be celebrated almost as well as a good old fashioned hogmanay! :)

Old threads coming back to life. I noticed a fair few homes farms, in and around muxia from google earth.
Question: Can you stay in Muxia for say a week or so without problem, either camping or alberques, posada etc...
I just think and correct me if iam wrong, is it not better to use older threads, for the same topic or close to the subject then starting up a new topic, cheers.

gsm,

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back