• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Finisterre Newbie

Lovely Betsy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Finisterre (October 2018)
Hello to all.
My first posting for my first Camino.
I’m walking Camino de Finisterre in October.
Perhaps cross paths with some of you on the way?
This forum has been so helpful in all my plotting and planning - thank you.
Having been diagnosed with M.E./CFS almost ten years ago, even this short Camino is feeling a little daunting.
But exciting too!
P.S. packing list further down the posts. Advice appreciated.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum, @Lovely Betsy. The first Camino is always a little daunting, but it everything becomes much simpler when you start walking. Wishing you well with the final stages of your planning and if you're unsure about anything, just ask a question here. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello to all.
My first posting for my first Camino.
I’m walking Camino de Finisterre in October.
Perhaps cross paths with some of you on the way?
This forum has been so helpful in all my plotting and planning - thank you.
Having been diagnosed with M.E./CFS almost ten years ago, even this short Camino is feeling a little daunting.
But exciting too!

HI . - i start the 20th October from Santiago Mick

Admittedly I leave tomorrow lunchtime but does anyone have a moment to check over my packing list at all?
I have no idea how long it will take me to walk this Camino, definitely not 3 days!
I fly home 15 days after arriving in SdC.
Currently at 7kg without water or food.
Have a rucksack and small cross body bag.
Thin merino leggings and long sleeve top
Thin quick dry leggings and long sleeve top
(The one on one washing principle)
Thin quick dry cropped leggings
Thin quick dry vest for under...
Thin light cotton dress for walking
Jersey dress for when not walking
(All this instead of trousers and shorts)
Scarf which doubles as sun hat and towel
Short sleeved T-shirt for sleep and extra layering
Thin light Pj bottoms
3 pairs pants
2 bras
3 pairs socks
Jacket
Thin wool blanket/shawl
Hiking boots
Flipflops
Waterproof wind stopper top and trousers
Rain poncho
Sleep sack
Toiletries - soap, deodorant in bar form, solid shampoo, travel toothpaste, toothbrush, sleep roll on remedy, small pot of muscle and headache balm, small pot of multi use balm/moisturiser, small pot of aloe vera, 30ml medication, ear plugs.
Sanitary towels.
Phone charger
Small novel to read (I can’t do kindle!)
Journal/diary
Documents
Stripped back Brierley guide.
2 x 500ml foldable water carriers
Toilet tissues, wet wipes, nappy bags.
6 emergency Snack bars
Camping cutlery set
Lightweight origami plate, cup, bowl
(Plan to save money by making own breakfast and lunch).
Basic first aid kit
Moleskin and micropore
Travel bottle of talcum powder
4 Small caribiners
4 pegs
Spare shoelaces
Scallop shell!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Five or six days might be more realistic for this walk. Depends of course on your fitness / age. If you've a change if clothes and a rain cover for your rucksack then I'd not bother with waterproof trousers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Admittedly I leave tomorrow lunchtime but does anyone have a moment to check over my packing list at all?
I have no idea how long it will take me to walk this Camino, definitely not 3 days!
I fly home 15 days after arriving in SdC.
Currently at 7kg without water or food.
Have a rucksack and small cross body bag.
Thin merino leggings and long sleeve top
Thin quick dry leggings and long sleeve top
(The one on one washing principle)
Thin quick dry cropped leggings
Thin quick dry vest for under...
Thin light cotton dress for walking
Jersey dress for when not walking
(All this instead of trousers and shorts)
Scarf which doubles as sun hat and towel
Short sleeved T-shirt for sleep and extra layering
Thin light Pj bottoms
3 pairs pants
2 bras
3 pairs socks
Jacket
Thin wool blanket/shawl
Hiking boots
Flipflops
Waterproof wind stopper top and trousers
Rain poncho
Sleep sack
Toiletries - soap, deodorant in bar form, solid shampoo, travel toothpaste, toothbrush, sleep roll on remedy, small pot of muscle and headache balm, small pot of multi use balm/moisturiser, small pot of aloe vera, 30ml medication, ear plugs.
Sanitary towels.
Phone charger
Small novel to read (I can’t do kindle!)
Journal/diary
Documents
Stripped back Brierley guide.
2 x 500ml foldable water carriers
Toilet tissues, wet wipes, nappy bags.
6 emergency Snack bars
Camping cutlery set
Lightweight origami plate, cup, bowl
(Plan to save money by making own breakfast and lunch).
Basic first aid kit
Moleskin and micropore
Travel bottle of talcum powder
4 Small caribiners
4 pegs
Spare shoelaces
Scallop shell!
If you are OK with carrying all this than you are good to go ;)
But I think it's too much IMO.

About how many days it depends how far you walk each day. It could be anywhere from 2-X days. Plenty of possible combinations distance wise. And many more if you add private accommodation to the albergues-stops.

Buen Camino!

Look out for the blue hair Mick and Jim!
Thanks Kinky One - I’m staying at the Seminario in SdC before and after so am going to ask if I can leave a carrier bag of things in a locker!

We stayed at Seminario menor in Santiago de C then walked to a very good albergue in Negreira that they recommended.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@ Lovely Betsy let me know if you'd like details of where we stayed and our stages on the Camino to Finisterra and I will look them up and post on here.

@ Lovely Betsy these are the places where we stayed. All very different, all good.
Albergue San Jose Negreira
Albergue bar Casa Pepa in Santa Marina
Albergue O Castelina. Hospital - Dumbria
Albergue Camino Fisterra - Corcubion
Pension Finistellae Finisterre (there's also an albergue run by same people)

We walked from 1 - 5 October 2016

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ans now we all are curious about your camino... :) share your stories, Lovely Betsy

Wowee!
It’s been incredible and intense and hard and beautiful and everything!
Today on my eleventh day of ambling not rambling I walked till I could walk no more to the end of the world.
Santiago - Muxía - Fisterra.
It seems stories of the slow walking blue haired woman went before me!
May we all find our way.
X

Congratulations. It sounds as though you had a great time and wonderful Camino experience taking it at your own pace. Exactly the way a Camino should be IMHO.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you.
It’s this bit that’s feeling the hardest!
Like an intense love affair that has suddenly ended.
Still, don’t head back to Santiago till tomorrow.

I hope you've collected the beautiful Finisterra certificate. The memories will stay with you forever.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back