• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Finisterre - warning.

giuliamaria

Time of past OR future Camino
Past - Camino Frances April-May (2017)
Future - Camino Frances (Meseta) Madrid or Ingles (June 2019)
If you intend to stay at Hospital on the Camino Finisterre, please be aware that this hostel may pose a danger to peregriños with a mould allergy (which I have)The ground floor dorm, which is blue, had the ceiling and walls quite covered in mould. I did bring this to the attention of the hospitalera. The bathroom on the ground floor is also unsafe because the shower is not contained, so water ends up all over the floor. A slipping hazard. The upstairs dorm - (yellow -which was available to later arriving pilgrims only after the ground floor was full) is in quite a nice condition and there is a proper shower too. I suggest asking for the upstairs room only. Another thing to note is that the menu peregrino offered in the evening has no choices for 1st & main so if you need a vegetarian option best to enquire when reserving by phone. I ended up taking a taxi to Cee rather than sleep in the mould filled room.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are always choices and you used one, moving ahead Guilamarie. I hope you slept well and left a donation at the albergue so in need of help. Thank you for you warning, with an address I would donate too.
Your suggestion is a little strange because the albergue is not a municipal or donativo, it is privately run. It is therefore a business and I take exception to paying for exposure to dangerous conditions such as mould. Apart from this, the later arriving pilgrims received a clean and mould free dorm. I just wanted to make others aware so they can make an informed decision, because in Hospital there are no other choices of accommodation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your suggestion is a little strange because the albergue is not a municipal or donativo, it is privately run. It is therefore a business and I take exception to paying for exposure to dangerous conditions such as mould. Apart from this, the later arriving pilgrims received a clean and mould free dorm. I just wanted to make others aware so they can make an informed decision, because in Hospital there are no other choices of accommodation.
You need to evaluate the Spanish small business model before imposing your expectations on the owner’s!!!

You need to evaluate the Spanish small business model before imposing your expectations on the owner’s!!!
So do you mean that it is alright to offer people unsafe and unhealthy conditions in an albergue? I am surprised that you could find mould covered walls and ceilings acceptable anywhere that the public is asked to pay. If this was in a bar or cafe would that be ok because it is a small business?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So do you mean that it is alright to offer people unsafe and unhealthy conditions in an albergue? I am surprised that you could find mould covered walls and ceilings acceptable anywhere that the public is asked to pay. If this was in a bar or cafe would that be ok because it is a small business?
I think you became quite clear about your point, thank you for that. Everyone is now able to make a educated decision like you did.
But please do not try to hurt this small business.

There are always choices and you used one, moving ahead Guilamarie. I hope you slept well and left a donation at the albergue so in need of help. Thank you for you warning, with an address I would donate too.
Why would she leave a donation to a private albergue that she didn't stay in?...if you look up the albergue I'm sure you could make a donation

i am uncomfortable when people post indignant, inflammatory or entitled reviews of establishments that didn't meet their expectations.

In this case, I thought @giuliamaria was quite reasonable with the commentary on some important considerations.
I agree. She pointed out obvious health and safety concerns and, to be fair, that these were not a problem on the upper floor. In the short term, for better service to most, the upper floor could, if not should, be used first.

Then, rather than saying not to stay there, she said to call ahead if you had a dietary concern. All in all I would say it is a negative review of an establishment but the most fair and positive negative review I've seen on this forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i am uncomfortable when people post indignant, inflammatory or entitled reviews of establishments that didn't meet their expectations.

In this case, I thought @giuliamaria was quite reasonable with the commentary on some important considerations.
Thank you C Clearly, I was trying to point out that hospitaleros do have a responsibility to provide safe and sanitary conditions for pilgrims. Some people have health conditions that are incompatible with mould and slippery surfaces. It is good if they can be forewarned to make alternative plans.

What a pity we didnt meet up again trecile. It was nice to meet you in Lago!

I think you became quite clear about your point, thank you for that. Everyone is now able to make a educated decision like you did.
But please do not try to hurt this small business.
Kos, I was trying to fore warn pilgrims who may want to make alternative plans.

Small Spanish businesses open for themselves and their conceit. They don’t care what you think. If you don’t like it, move on. If they satisfy themselves, they are Okay. When customers stop coming, they close. You will not change them. It is not a “the customer is always right “ business model. It is a “here is what I do. Love it or leave it. “ Keep your anger. It won’t change what they do.

Everytime I pass Hospital I stop for a beer at the albergue owner restaurant a bit uphill from the village. Always very friendly and everything was clean and impeccable. That's why I'm kind of surprised by @giuliamaria 's post (which BTW I find very fair!!!).

I would just like to add that there are many possible overnight stops in the vicinity which wouldn't really make stage to Cee very long.
Approx.7 kms before Hospital in Ponte Olveira there is an albergue, plenty more in Olveiroa just 5km back in Olveiroa and only 1,4km back in Logoso (that's really a short walk).
And if you go to Muxia it's not really that far to Dumbia - 5km of mainly gentle downhill.

So if you don't get the yellow room in Hospital then you should have plan B because the stage between Olveiroa and Cee is one of the nicest there can be and taking a taxi is a no-no for me at least on this stage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Small Spanish businesses open for themselves and their conceit. They don’t care what you think. If you don’t like it, move on. If they satisfy themselves, they are Okay. When customers stop coming, they close. You will not change them. It is not a “the customer is always right “ business model. It is a “here is what I do. Love it or leave it. “ Keep your anger. It won’t change what they do.
I don't believe giuliamaria was writing to change what the albergue was doing but rather to inform pilgrims who may be considering stopping there, so that they could make an informed decision whether to "love it or leave it" (or merely accept it). As such, I'm not seeing the relevance of the business model to her post.

Not sure I read any anger in her review, just a helpful suggestion to ask for upper room, look for vegetarian options early if necessary and additionally, you could taxi on (or plan your day to not stay here). Not sure what ruffled your feathers.

The Albergue in question was on a 5/2 poor reviews on Gronze last time I looked. I haven't bothered to look at Tripeadvertiser.

As @peregrina2000 has alluded, don't expect special treatment for pilgrims at the bar. Or maybe actually do expect special treatment; you may find yourself paying far more for your refresco than the guy in the boiler-suit stood next to you. Anyone who wants a decent Albergue and a couple of bars that offer kindness to pilgs would do better to head to Dumbria. It is easy enough to rejoin the Fisterra route from Dumbria by doubling back to the first cross-road out of town and following that road to the cruce.

But hey, we are but pilgrims and therefore grateful for what we get- even when we get got...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Albergue in question was on a 5/2 poor reviews on Gronze last time I looked. I haven't bothered to look at Tripeadvertiser.

As @peregrina2000 has alluded, don't expect special treatment for pilgrims at the bar. Or maybe actually do expect special treatment; you may find yourself paying far more for your refresco than the guy in the boiler-suit stood next to you. Anyone who wants a decent Albergue and a couple of bars that offer kindness to pilgs would do better to head to Dumbria. It is easy enough to rejoin the Fisterra route from Dumbria by doubling back to the first cross-road out of town and following that road to the cruce.

But hey, we are but pilgrims and therefore grateful for what we get- even when we get got...
But an even better idea would be to stay in the lovely Dumbria albergue and then go to Muxia the next day. 😎

If you intend to stay at Hospital on the Camino Finisterre, please be aware that this hostel may pose a danger to peregriños with a mould allergy (which I have)The ground floor dorm, which is blue, had the ceiling and walls quite covered in mould. I did bring this to the attention of the hospitalera. The bathroom on the ground floor is also unsafe because the shower is not contained, so water ends up all over the floor. A slipping hazard. The upstairs dorm - (yellow -which was available to later arriving pilgrims only after the ground floor was full) is in quite a nice condition and there is a proper shower too. I suggest asking for the upstairs room only. Another thing to note is that the menu peregrino offered in the evening has no choices for 1st & main so if you need a vegetarian option best to enquire when reserving by phone. I ended up taking a taxi to Cee rather than sleep in the mould filled room.
As someone with a lung condition, I am grateful for your post! No doubt there are a number of us out here who require a spore free sleeping space. Thankyou Giuliamaria for the heads up and your generosity in sharing the info to keep us safe.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How much did you donate?

Mea Culpa I didn’t know it was a private albergue. Where can your review be forwarded? Yelp? Etc.that could help other pilgrims make choices.

Where can your review be forwarded? Yelp? Etc.that could help other pilgrims make choices.
Gronze allows you to post a short review, which can be seen by anyone using that site to plan their stops.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree completely that this is not a review meant to hurt anyone's business. It was an observation what what she saw in this albergue and yes mold can be very harmful to people especially those with respiratory issues. There was absolutely nothing inappropriate regarding the menu either. The suggestion by Raggy to post in Gronze I think would be very helpful. I look at Gronze often on my caminos for guidance. It is usually pretty easy to tell a bad review based on nothing more than the pilgrim didn't like his greeting or it was noisy that night as opposed to what was written here which was completely warranted in my opinion

There are many nice albergues in Finisterre. You do not have to stay at a place not in good order or go back to Cee

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the info Op! I’m sorry that some people have felt the need to be critical of your helpful review :( there’s no need for that. But perhaps if the owners seemed to have ok English or you speak Spanish, you might email them and say you were not happy with the conditions and suggest they could be improved, constructive criticism. It would be useful to see how helpful their reply is. I think we also have to bare in mind that one person can view a place as acceptable that another would deem unacceptable so it’s useful to have the information but also people can make their own decision, perhaps your post has been very helpful as the person paying can ask to see the dorm first before they part with their money :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back