• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Finisterre

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Finisterre in September 2022
Help please
We are 2 older ladies wanting to walk Santiago to Finisterre but find the suggested stages too long
For us. We would ideally like to walk 12/13 km per day. Any suggestions please.?

CMD

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Take a look at gronze.com for starters. Their Camino to Finisterre starts here. I think that Gronze generally has the most up to date information on accomodations. For the 20 km between Santiago and Negreira, it looks like there is a place a bit off-route that is 7 kms from Santiago. By looking at each stage, you’ll get an idea of how you can break it up. If you’ve got the time, adding in a two-day extension to Muxia is something you would never regret!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is a recent reportage from the BBC re what you might see on route to the end of the world at Finisterre.
These on line pubications re Galicia Tourism might help with tourist accommodations, etc.

I have walked to Negreira, Olveiroa, San Roque, and Finisterre several times often in winter. Perhaps you might find these pictures/ notes from my December 2011 blog to be helpful for your planning. Included are hot links to the places I stayed and ate

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Take a look at gronze.com for starters. Their Camino to Finisterre starts here. I think that Gronze generally has the most up to date information on accomodations. For the 20 km between Santiago and Negreira, it looks like there is a place a bit off-route that is 7 kms from Santiago. By looking at each stage, you’ll get an idea of how you can break it up. If you’ve got the time, adding in a two-day extension to Muxia is something you would never regret!
Yes check out Gronze. If you are going during peak season plenty of choices along the way. I would also download one of the free apps or more. Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino, Camino Ninja. No one app has every place listed. Last year after I finished the Via de la Plata I still had about 10 days left before my flight home. I walked wonderfully but at a turtle pace to Muxia and I got there in 5 days. It was December and there was never a problem getting an albergue to sleep. After Muxia I walked the 30K to Finisterre. Took 2 days for that one. That is about 30K. I averaged about 17k to get to Muxia. About 85k to Muxia/93k to FInisterre from Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Help please
We are 2 older ladies wanting to walk Santiago to Finisterre but find the suggested stages too long
For us. We would ideally like to walk 12/13 km per day. Any suggestions please.?

CMD
As I’m a coastal person and wanted some downtime, I just finished a walk that might work you. I took the Finisterre bus from Santiago but got off at Muros which is a lovely little fishing village, great food, accommodation. Next day walked to Ezaro ( famous waterfall) and stayed there, then next day walked to Corcubion and joined the proper Finisterre Camino on the way. Then to finisterre for overnight, then overnight at Lires ( quiet but lovely place), then Muxia.
From memory max 15kms each day and mix of coast and forests without the long slogs out of Santiago.

Walking from Santiago, what town is normally arrived at first, Muxia or Finisterre ?
You need to chose to walk to either Finisterre or Muxía first. You can see that the route splits, and you can choose to walk towards the north and Muxía, or south to Finisterre. Then there is an approximately 30 km section between the two.

fisterra-y-muxia-mapa2.jpg

quote: “Then there is an approximately 30 km section between the two …“ which can be split into (almost) two halfs at Lires (albergue/hostal rural/hotel).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Monbus has 4 departures/day from Muxia, one of them without stops which only takes 1h 15m. Tickets can be bought online, it works well, I already bought one for my August Inglés/Fisterra/Muxia-camino.

Monbus.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking from Santiago, what town is normally arrived at first, Muxia or Finisterre ?
You can do either, it depends on what you want to do and have a look at teh gradients etc. Do you like the long ups or the longer downs?

quote: “Then there is an approximately 30 km section between the two …“ which can be split into (almost) two halfs at Lires (albergue/hostal rural/hotel).
I split mine at Lires in May. There are a couple of places to stay there depending on whether you are loking for a hotel or alberge.

Monbus has 4 departures/day from Muxia, one of them without stops which only takes 1h 15m. Tickets can be bought online, it works well, I already bought one for my August Inglés/Fisterra/Muxia-camino.

View attachment 129531
Hi Turga
I have been trying to book the same ticket on line ( Muxia to Santiago departing 11.45) I want to book for 7 September but I can’t seem to choose a date after 31 August - how did you get around this?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Turga
I have been trying to book the same ticket on line ( Muxia to Santiago departing 11.45) I want to book for 7 September but I can’t seem to choose a date after 31 August - how did you get around this?

You are right, it seems you can't book after August 31, perhaps they only show tickets a month or so in advance? My booking is in August so I didn't run into that problem. Perhaps you just have to wait some days and then try again.

Last edited:
You are right, it seems you can't book after August 31, perhaps they only show tickets a month or so in advance? My booking is in August so I didn't run into that problem. Perhaps you just have to wait some days and then try again.
Thanks for your reply, I’ll keep trying every few days. Enjoy your trip!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back