• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino First Aid - Free from APOC

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
iPhone/Smartphone version of Camino First Aid 2014

Tom and Emmeline Hill are members of the Old Pueblo Chapter. They have written a book titled "Camino First Aid 2014" and have made it available free of charge to any and all Pilgrims. It contains valuable information on Camino First Aid for all.

The pdf file is too large to be attached. Please contact APOC for a copy.
oldpueblochapter@americanpilgrims.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just received our copy and it is absolutely excellent!! Saved to my smart phone for quick reference and my tablet for reading. A million thanks! ¡Un millón de gracias! ;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

If you are interested in this pdf file, just send us an email and we will get it out to you right away!

@sillydoll - thanks for the thread, we have already received several requests. Glad we are able to provide this for fellow peregrinos.

Arlene

Hi everyone, Our Chapter email has been inundated with requests for the pdf version of Tom and Em's "Camino First Aid 2014". There have been so many requested that I have created a link for anyone interested to be able to copy/download the file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84665557/Camino First Aid 2014 iPhone.pdf

Thanks for your interest in the publication.

Arlene

This is an amazing resource and I will definitely be loading it on my phone. I have already read it cover to cover and will do so again just before leaving to refresh my memory. Thank you sooooo much for the generosity of time and knowledge you have put into this document - greatly appreciated. I would recommend that EVERYONE have this on hand for their Camino... I'm sure I will be consulting it if not for myself, than perhaps to help other. :)

Having just been bitten by a dog on the Camino Portugeuse I can't say how important it is to carry a small first aid kit particularly with some disinfectant

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having only skimmed this PDF, yes it's very good.
I particularly like the advice about planning on time walked, not distance walked. That principle would shorten many discussions here !!

Hi everyone, Our Chapter email has been inundated with requests for the pdf version of Tom and Em's "Camino First Aid 2014". There have been so many requested that I have created a link for anyone interested to be able to copy/download the file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84665557/Camino First Aid 2014 iPhone.pdf

Thanks for your interest in the publication.

Arlene

Without knowing of your link I did exactly the same. It is shared from my dropbox account and I put the link on my camino blog. This is such a blessing! Thank you to Tom and Em.

By the way, I love this quote from the book:

"But you’re a pilgrim, darn it. And pilgrims walk. Frankly, we’re used to our homeless patients being noncompliant. We tell them to take it easy and we know that about 30% will ingore that advice completely. What about the pilgrims we met and treated along the Camino? How compliant were they? Let’s just say they make homeless patients look like models of medical behavior."

Last edited:
Ivar:
Can you load this very good resource onto the Downloads portion of the site? It may save the Old Pueblo Chapter's gracious contributors alot of heartache.

Rambler

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have removed my original post of May, 2014 as neither American Pilgrims on the Camino nor any chapters, including the Old Pueblo (Tucson) chapter endorse the contents of the book "Camino First Aid 2014". The pdf copy of the book is also no longer available at the link provided.

iPhone/Smartphone version of Camino First Aid 2014

Tom and Emmeline Hill are members of the Old Pueblo Chapter. They have written a book titled "Camino First Aid 2014" and have made it available free of charge to any and all Pilgrims. It contains valuable information on Camino First Aid for all.

The pdf file is too large to be attached. Please contact APOC for a copy.

I see the 2014 edition online here:

http://www.americanpilgrims.com/about/local_chapter_documents/Camino_first_aid_Hill.pdf

Google tells me that there are more recent editions but the authors' website seems to be having trouble. Does anybody know where to find the definitive latest version?

Hello Sillydoll,

I am no longer affiliated with the Old Pueblo Chapter of APOC, but will say that APOC no longer approves or sanctions the Camino First Aid book. This change took place while I was still the Coordinator for the group during the beginning of 2016.

Sorry I cannot suggest a way for you to obtain a later version should there be one.

Arlèna

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Sillydoll,

I am no longer affiliated with the Old Pueblo Chapter of APOC, but will say that APOC no longer approves or sanctions the Camino First Aid book. This change took place while I was still the Coordinator for the group during the beginning of 2016.

Sorry I cannot suggest a way for you to obtain a later version should there be one.

Arlèna

Uh-oh - is there a problem with the book we should be aware of?

Uh-oh - is there a problem with the book we should be aware of?
I am unsure. All I can say is APOC no longer approves or sanctions the Camino First Aid book written by Tom and Emmeline Hill.

I am unsure. All I can say is APOC no longer approves or sanctions the Camino First Aid book written by Tom and Emmeline Hill.

Thanks for the quick reply. It sure would be nice to know whether this is just a formal CYA on APOC's part, or indicates a serious problem. I just posted about this guide in a couple of places and would like to go take back my posts if there's something specific to be worried about!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Without knowing of your link I did exactly the same. It is shared from my dropbox account and I put the link on my camino blog. This is such a blessing! Thank you to Tom and Em.

By the way, I love this quote from the book:

"But you’re a pilgrim, darn it. And pilgrims walk. Frankly, we’re used to our homeless patients being noncompliant. We tell them to take it easy and we know that about 30% will ingore that advice completely. What about the pilgrims we met and treated along the Camino? How compliant were they? Let’s just say they make homeless patients look like models of medical behavior."

I have also removed the pdf from my blog, although I still have it and find it a useful resource. The original came with very emphatic disclaimers to "talk to your doctor" before, during and after your camino about any personal health problems. The book can't replace your doctor.

Perhaps one day there will be an updated version of it.

Thanks for the quick reply. It sure would be nice to know whether this is just a formal CYA on APOC's part, or indicates a serious problem. I just posted about this guide in a couple of places and would like to go take back my posts if there's something specific to be worried about!

One problem I see with this book is that it actively encourages pilgrims to treat other pilgrims based on the information in this book. Which could lead to all kinds of legal problems ...
Buen Camino, SY

Edited to add:

Also found at least one serious mistake in the book. Under heatstroke it states "Do NOT give fluids!" Which only applies if the person is unconscious, but of course you should give a conscious victim of heatstroke fluids - in small sips.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.