• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino flashes...

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
Is it just me? I walked the Camino Frances in April/May of this year, and since returning I keep having these recurrent "flashes" of moments from my pilgrimage.

Often they are triggered by absolutely nothing - just out of the blue a vivid memory will hit me.

This happened yesterday - for no apparent reason at all, I had a vivid recollection of when I walked into Leon on a hot Sunday afternoon, and this elderly gentleman dressed in a suit approached me on the street and tipped his hat in a mark of respect. That moment came flooding back yesterday.

There have been times when these recollections have been triggered by something visual - the shape of a tree on a hill, or afternoon light falling on a winding road. Sometimes they're triggered by smells - garlic and onions is a big one, and pimento.

And with the passage of time they don't seem to be diminishing. If anything they're getting stronger, and more frequent. As though the Camino is calling me back.

Have any of you had similar experiences?

Bill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I can have those flashes as well. It is surely calling us back. I have the same with the mountains here in Sweden. The longer it goes between visits the more vivid memories accompanied with heartache and longing.

You say " with the passage of time they don't seem to be diminishing. "
As a matter of fact, they won't...
You just experienced a very common "Camino Syndrome" that keeps calling back to the Caminos the large majority of the ones that have walked...
There is no known cure...can get some relief going back...and walk again...
Buon Cammino !!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I find I am drawn to those things I enjoy. Absent a time machine, though, it cannot be a return to the past. I don't "get" golf, but I see others who do it almost daily. I am pretty sure that I have heard about "that dogleg on the sixth" a thousand times. I don't find them strange, though, because they do what they enjoy doing; they just don't start with a plane trip across an ocean...

I get golf and have many fond memories of certain shots or "A hole in one by a friend" etc. I also have fond memories of my Camino's and many other trips, parties, births of my children etc. etc. While some of these fond memories did not start with a trip across the ocean, they all bring wonderful memories flooding back. Memories are a wonderful gift.

On Camino specific flashes, some of mine are brought on by memorabilia I have accumulated on my walks. I look forward to creating many more Camino experiences.

On the golf subject, I find it similar in some aspects to a Camino. Who would not enjoy an afternoon spent with friends, doing something challenging, in a beautiful environment. ;-)

Ultreya,
Joe

You have described the common phenomenon known as the "Camino Blues"...WELCOME TO THE CLUB! It manifests itself in many ways, but it all includes flashbacks of a specific moment in the Camino when the associated emotion comes rushing back in and feels as real as the original. Seconds after this flasback, a longing for the Camino ensues and the need to plan a return trip. Give in; is a lost battle. Whether for next year, 5, 10, or 20 years from now, start planning your next Camino; it is the only known cure. ;)

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You wont believe this, the British telecom guys have painted yellow arrows on the footpath (pointing forwards and backwards) all the way round to my regular newspaper shop. It reminds me every time I walk out of the door about the Camino. Its true, if it wasn't pitch black outside now I would post a pic of them. That has got me thinking; has anyone seen the British telecom guys walking the Camino maybe they have the blues too!!!! ;)

I, too, have flashbacks to the Camino. They are so real and so vivid even though it’s more than a year ago since I returned and I only walked 230 miles.
Luckily, I’m going back in May for 2 months. After that, who knows. But for now, I am relishing the planning, the anticipation of another Camino. In the meantime, the flashbacks keep taking me back and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello and yes, I have them too. Flashbacks hit me so hard, anytime, anywhere. I try with all my might to pause it for as long as I can in my minds eye, to relish the vision and stir up the emotions the original version gave me. Ah the power of the Camino :cool:

Doctors don't tell you that the flashbacks are a side effect of having the Camino 'pacemaker' (subtle Camino reference here!) inserted ... that necessary device needed to regulate the uncontrollable pounding of pilgrim hearts at the mere mention of the Camino !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have camino flashbacks as well. They will come out of the blue sky. Mostly they are from moments when I felt that I was in a 'bad spot' – could or would I continue? And I chose to do so (i.e. continue). Those moments are still precious to me – I had a choice – a challenge, and I opted for the challenge. The camino is certainly not a walk in the park – especially for an elderly peregrina.
annelise

I keep getting the "Now where was that?" moments and then find myself thinking of who was I with, who had I been with, who was I about to be with to try and fix them. Followed by the temptation to revisit the photo folder on my PC to get some clues. never a day goes by without wishing I was there and thinking that next May is suuuuuuuuuch a looooooong way away!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You wont believe this, the British telecom guys have painted yellow arrows on the footpath (pointing forwards and backwards) all the way round to my regular newspaper shop.

Are you kidding??? o_O Yes, prooceed with pictures...;)

Oh Bill, of course. Now just imagine, when I listen to my voice recordings.... instant flashback plus sounds... almost like time travel. Other times I don't need to listen at all, it's been almost 14 months, as you know, that I have been back, never a day I don't "walk" the camino for a bit. Daily gifts that are very welcome.

Wishing you all a Blessed Christmas and a wonderful 2014 year full of Camino Dreams. Light and Love Ingrid

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I only have these flashbacks several times every day, starting with shortly after I open my eyes and decide I did not pass away in the night - a good thing. As soon as I swing my feet off the bed, I am looking down expecting to see my hiking boots... My day continues from there...

As others have stated, this is one of the symptoms of what I call CAD - Camino Affective Disorder. Coincidentally, some of the symptoms can mimic other, more commonly described emotional conditions, specially Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD.

Here in the Northern Hemisphere we experience our winter, with shortest length of daylight and lousy weather. In fact, winter officially arrives on Saturday, 21 December. So, most people spent too much time indoors, frequently eating and drinking too much, and do not venture outside to get enough exercise, sunlight and Vitamin D. A lot of people, myself included, suffer from this very real mental illness.

The good news is that it is seasonal and we WILL get through it. It is like a "bad" (OK call it an "offish") day on the Camino, rain, mud, cold wind, and no cafes in sight...we suck it up and put one foot in front of the other. Then we repeat as necessary until we reach our day's destination. I always remind myself that even a "bad" day on the Camino is better that the best day in the office ever was...;)

The point is that feeling sad, depressed, and anxious are all parts of CAD as well as SAD. BUT, and this is the good bit, CAD includes flashbacks and mental visualizations of the pleasurable experiences we had whilst on Camino. It serves to create the craving to do another...and another...

So, in a way, we are all suffering from a form of "happy insanity." Welcome to the club Bill.:D

Yes, I can have those flashes as well. It is surely calling us back. I have the same with the mountains here in Sweden. The longer it goes between visits the more vivid memories accompanied with heartache and longing.
I just looked at your photos and they are almost replicas of ones I took on my journey in May/June 2013. What fabulous memories and, I too, am blessed with flashes of my trip all the time. I know it is calling me and I am planning and hoping to return, God willing, this coming year! Thanks for the memories!

Doctors don't tell you that the flashbacks are a side effect of having the Camino 'pacemaker' (subtle Camino reference here!) inserted ... that necessary device needed to regulate the uncontrollable pounding of pilgrim hearts at the mere mention of the Camino !

Jenny 'pacemaker' ? I understood it was called an ' electric coil ' ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are you kidding??? o_O Yes, prooceed with pictures...;)

Oh my dear Olivares doth thou doubt my claim
doth thou doubt my authenticity
then i must be out, on winters freezing night
to prove this pilgrims honesty
So friend now I have secured your pic
thou must withdraw thy doubt!
To settle now my honour!

Attachments

• DSC03210.JPG
    DSC03210.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC03211.JPG
    DSC03211.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I just looked at your photos and they are almost replicas of ones I took on my journey in May/June 2013. What fabulous memories and, I too, am blessed with flashes of my trip all the time. I know it is calling me and I am planning and hoping to return, God willing, this coming year! Thanks for the memories!
Isn't that funny I think we all think oh I'm taking a pic of this instead of that thing over there that looks so "touristic" and then we all come home with the same pics anyway :) But they are found memories. Love to relive my camino through my pics. I can also recommend loading a gps route I Google earth and use Steeet view when possible and just walk through some towns and roads again. Passing pilgrims on the way :)

Oh my dear Olivares doth thou doubt my claim
doth thou doubt my authenticity
then i must be out, on winters freezing night
to prove this pilgrims honesty
So friend now I have secured your pic
thou must withdraw thy doubt!
To settle now my honour!

Oh No, No, No!!!! By no means misunderstand my glee at your post! It is anticipated delight to see this on picture(s)!! I totally believe you and would LOVE to see how it looks like!! :D

BTW, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pics! They made me smile as I thought they would! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh No, No, No!!!! By no means misunderstand my glee at your post! It is anticipated delight to see this on picture(s)!! I totally believe you and would LOVE to see how it looks like!! :D

BTW, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pics! They made me smile as I thought they would! :D

I see that you too had a flashback from the same pilgrimage as myself wayfarer David and sweet Maiden of the South+216 journeyed a few days ago!Hence your antiquated language!
But please don't type 'love' too many times, that too brings flashbacks to me from that same epic journey.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.