• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino footwear

Barbara Whelan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2021
Camino Portuguese 2022
Hi - I am planning on starting the Camino Frances in mid- April next year and thinking of wearing Columbia Women’s Conspiracy Outdry Walking Shoes. Has anyone any experience of these on the Camino? Also do you know if they are a generous fit or not? I usually wear size 38 but buy size 39 walking boots. I’m not sure if I should buy larger size 40 for the Camino. Any feedback would be welcome.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry, I can't be specific about these shoes. I am curious why you have narrowed down your search to this model, if you haven't even tried them on to determine what size is appropriate. I always search for the right shape (that feels "right" on my foot) and then buy the largest size that is not "too large" to walk in. Here is another recent thread that you might find interesting.

So glad you are working on footwear ahead of time. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had figured out the "right" pair of boots - but you can never tell until you put them on. I ordered and returned quite a few pairs of boots over an embarrassing number of months. (checking return policy before ordering was a must) Finally I did find a pair that worked for my feet. But it was a frustrating slog for sure. Wishing you good luck and happy feet!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Barbara, I’ve come to believe shoe/boot selection is a highly personal discernment process. What works for one may be wrong for another. I saw a wide variety of footwear on my last Camino; boots, trail runners, even sandals. Good thing you’ve got some time. Recommend you check the forum for shoe reviews/recommendations and visit every sporting goods/outdoor equipment store in your area. My local REI outfitter has some knowledgeable people on staff. Take your time and buy the best socks you can find. They made all the difference for me. Buen Camino

Check out @davebugg on this site. He has tons and tons and tons of information. He is far and away the Guru of this forum when it comes to all things foot related. He is a wonderful guy and if you have more specific questions he will happily answer you if you PM him. Right now he is walking and taking a romantic interlude afterwards with his lovely wife. I would wait a while to write him until he returns. If you follow this site you will begin to see his postings again in a few weeks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree that visiting a store with competent assistance is part of the process in getting advice about fit and options. Even at the *** flagship store - the product line and sizes were limited and the department was severely understaffed. So it was helpful in eliminating certain choices, but I also needed to shop online.
Be diligent and patient to find the footwear that provides the protection, support, and comfort your feet will need for long distance walking!

Hi - I am planning on starting the Camino Frances in mid- April next year and thinking of wearing Columbia Women’s Conspiracy Outdry Walking Shoes. Has anyone any experience of these on the Camino? Also do you know if they are a generous fit or not? I usually wear size 38 but buy size 39 walking boots. I’m not sure if I should buy larger size 40 for the Camino. Any feedback would be welcome.
Be sure to allow for some foot swelling. It happens and can cause probs especially in the down hill situations. ❤️Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nobody can tell you whether or not a shoe will fit.
You must (literally) try it on.
Everyone's feet are different.
I would never order shoes online unless I had tried them on physically somewhere first.
You need to be able to wiggle your toes with heavy socks on, but they shouldn't slip up and down on the heel.

I agree with the idea you should go to an REI or similar store and talk to a knowledgeable salesperson, and try on several options. I have walked twice, first with Merrill Moab Ventilators and then Altra Lone Peak trail runners. Each had their own benefits: Merrill’s had firmer soles (no sore foot soles after a rocky day) and more ankle support, Altras were lighter and had great tread for slippery downhills. Definitely at least one size or 1 1/2 sizes bigger, thin wool socks (I wore two pairs Smartwool sock liners), put lambs wool in the toes if your big toe slides on the downhill, stop at any sign of a hotspot and tape it with Leukotape. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.