• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino For Kids book

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
This might be premature, given that we haven't yet succeeded, but we got to thinking about writing a Camino For Kids book! The very first Camino book I read stated early on "don't do this with kids", which was incentive enough for me to decide to do it! The next book advised not doing it with a group, because it's hard enough finding a suitable rhythm with two people, let alone more. So we decided to invite Grandpa along as well....that makes eleven of us!
Now some of the kids are thinking a book by them for others like them might just be the ticket to fame and fortune. I've explained the downside of both, but they are still interested. I wonder where they get that stubborn streak from :wink:
So, being a mother who likes to encourage their creative endeavours, I thought I'd find out if it's already been done. Does anyone know of this type of book? (who knows what they'd write in it!!!!!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Brilliant Idea!! And I will be the first one to buy it!

The only books I know of are about children who have walked the Camino - not really for children wanting to walk the Camino.

Chimenti, Wayne (2006) El Camino de Santiago: Rites of Passage. Trafford Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-1412056380. El Camino de Santiago: Rites of Passage is about the Chimenti family's travels on a 500-mile walking pilgrimage. It started as Nahja, their 12-year old daughter's "rite of passage". It turned out to be a test for everyone.

There is a documentary that features children:

El Camino de Santiago. La Ruta Xacobea Paso a Paso". (The Way of
Sanitago, the Xacobean Route, Step by Step) is a lovely French documentary
that focuses on the pilgrims' experiences, reasons for undertaking the pilgrimage, and spiritual changes felt. It shows some ingenious means created by pilgrims with children, such as carts fashioned with mountain bicycle wheels. The documentary, is available only in French and Spanish. It is distributed by DVD Spain:
http://www.dvdspain.net

And a series in Spanish about children in the different cities of Spain (not solely the Camino)

Such as PEPERRATON AND FRIENDS IN SANTIAGO and PEPERRATON Y SUS AMIGOS EN SEVILLE (ENGLISH) (ACTIVITY BOOK WITH S TICKERS

I got a lot of info for the Chapter in my book on walking with children from the following blogs:

http://terragalice.blog4ever.com/blog/l ... 67723.html (8 year old)
http://pedallingpilgrims.blogspot.com/2 ... stone.html (Pedaling with children)

http://www.elhuevodechocolate.com/camino1.htm (Camino fro Children)

http://thelittlestpilgrim.blogspot.com/ ... 21kms.html (Baby)

Thanks for those links Sillydoll.....two and a half hours gone!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought a story book for my grandaughter at the Cathedral store a few years ago, called La Golondrina peregrina. It's a story about a swallow who wants to find out why all these people are "walking with a purpose", so flies from Santiago up the Camino listening to people's conversations and generally learning about the Camino. It's full of delightful pictures of places that we can all recognize. Anne

OOOH I hope they'll still be selling that book when we get there! We love to add to our library.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kiwi-family said:
OOOH I hope they'll still be selling that book when we get there! We love to add to our library.
It's a few years ago - I think in 2009. Maybe if they don't have it there, there are a couple of good bookshops in Santiago. It's for the 6/9 age, I would say. Anne

I got the book about the swallow from Ebay - my daughter (11) loved it, and read it before we went and has read it at least ten times since we have been back (I think she is missing the camino!) , even reading it out loud to her 8 year old foster sister.... It is more aimed at slightly younger kids though.

If your kids write a book I will buy it.... :D

I just finished a small book (9"x7"-123pp) for my 12-year-old grandson about my experiences on the Camino Frances in the summer of 2012. Inspiration for the book came when he asked me upon my return,"What did you see? What did you do?" Using my personal journal as a resource to structure the writing, I included explanations with pictures of Romanesque and Gothic architecture, the ruins I came upon, Spanish food, people I met, the rituals, St James and the Catholic Church, myths surrounding certain places on the Way, my routine and details that I though would appeal to his age, etc. If you are interested, please contact me and I can arrange to get a copy to you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This might be premature, given that we haven't yet succeeded, but we got to thinking about writing a Camino For Kids book! The very first Camino book I read stated early on "don't do this with kids", which was incentive enough for me to decide to do it! The next book advised not doing it with a group, because it's hard enough finding a suitable rhythm with two people, let alone more. So we decided to invite Grandpa along as well....that makes eleven of us!
Now some of the kids are thinking a book by them for others like them might just be the ticket to fame and fortune. I've explained the downside of both, but they are still interested. I wonder where they get that stubborn streak from :wink:
So, being a mother who likes to encourage their creative endeavours, I thought I'd find out if it's already been done. Does anyone know of this type of book? (who knows what they'd write in it!!!!!)

Actually I love the idea! I had wanted something to leave for my grandkids to read while I was gone so they would know where I was (Although I'm sure it takes time to publish these things), and maybe inspire them walk to one day. Hurry! Tell your kids to get cracking as I for one am in!! LOL.

The kids decided (after talking to people who had walked from Amsterdam and Paris) that walking from Astorga was not "enough" to give them kind of authority to write!!! However, after we have done our 1,000km next year........

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The kids decided (after talking to people who had walked from Amsterdam and Paris) that walking from Astorga was not "enough" to give them kind of authority to write!!! However, after we have done our 1,000km next year........

Well they'll certainly be writing 'ex cathedra' after next years adventure! But I would have thought that, as so many of them walked already this year that their group experience would provide more than enough material-of both a collective and individual nature, across a range of ages and of course from the male and female perspective- to compensate for any perceived lack of milage.
Multiply the distance from Astorga to SDC by the number of your kids who walked just see how many kms they've already 'clocked up'.........sure they're 'old hands' already;)

Last edited:
Very kind of you nellpilgrim! But I do think the wider experience coming may be useful.

If they collect info, write bits and bobs as they go - it can all be used later. There were lots of bits I wished i'd written down as it happened - before my memory faded, as I wrote a book when I returned. But so many times I was just too exhausted, too hungry, had to get the tent up, or cook food - so didn't write it down and the idea/experience/thought/description was lost..
Perhaps since there are so many of you - that one person each day could be nominated 'note-taker extraordinaire' - and excused other duties! It could be their responsibility to write down any relevant info - or things others describe etc?
A brilliant idea anyway - a book for kids by kids would be an interesting read - even for this 47 year old!
Incidentally the best family travel books I've read were The Great Donkey Walk - From Spain to Greece by Pilgrim Ways by Susan Chitty & Thomas Hinde and The Seven Year Hitch: A Family Odyssey by David Renwick Grant ( I assume everyone has read My Family and Other Animals??!!) But even better than reading it is doing it!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps since there are so many of you - that one person each day could be nominated 'note-taker extraordinaire' - and excused other duties! It could be their responsibility to write down any relevant info - or things others describe etc?

Please don't suggest this! A condition of travelling with our family is that you journal each and every day! Thankfully it is not something we have had to enforce - it just happens quite organically.

Pack of five books of Legends of the Camino for children - in Spanish
http://www.latiendadelcamino.com/li...ndas-del-camino-de-santiago-pack-5-libros-874

And this one with book and interactive CD (also Spanish)
http://www.sandiegocartagena.com/in...]=1574&cHash=a0623701055b6961a89fc9a9ab0bc30a

De la A a la Z. El camino de Santiago (For children and youths)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/8444145068/?tag=casaivar02-20

Le chemin de Compostelle : Le jeu de Loupio (The game - French)
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2916350381/

Canadian Ruth Welburn's new book. Bedbug's Big Adventure (From his mattress in St Jean on the Camino)
blog.ruthwelburncamino.com

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back