• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Francés App Coming Soon

wisepilgrim

Camino App Maker
Time of past OR future Camino
Many
Hey everyone!

You may remember me from a post earlier this winter regarding what to do with my website, wisepilgrim.com. I am pleased to announce that I decided to update the site with new content, and have even managed to convert it into an iPhone app. In many ways, the app is easier to browse than the original site.

You can read more about it on my website, and all feedback is welcome. At the moment the app is still in the approval process with Apple, but once that is done I will reply here with the news.

This was my first attempt at designing an app, and it was more difficult than anticipated. Because the summer is upon us, I have decided to push the first version out the door with an update about a month away.

I will also be on the caminos Aragonés, Francés and Primitivo this summer to fill in the missing photos. I hope you all enjoy it, and would appreciate all feedback and spreading of the word.

It will be a paid app, somewhere in the $5 range. I am flexible on this, and would love to hear from the community what a fair price ought to be.

The link is here http://wisepilgrim.com/more/camino-frances-app-coming-soon

Buen Camino,

Michael

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
well, considering $5 is WAYYYYYYYY at the top of the price range and I see people complaining about paying $.99, I think for that much people will want the app to carry their bag for them. Add to that the fact that Ivar just released a free, user-sourced app less than a month ago and I'd say that yours will have some stiff competition. However, competition is great. Just make sure yours has the latest and greatest info and a great UI and you'll be golden. Also, it MUST be able to work offline.

I'd also recommend doing a 'droid version since they have the largest (and growing) market share.

Many of these same thoughts came to mind while I was building the app. I came upon the price range when comparing it to other guide books which cost a great deal more... and certainly don't carry your pack. I suppose it is important to remember that it is more of a guide than an app, and there certainly are not many .99 printed guide books out there.

The good news is that it does work offline, and as for competing with Ivar's app there isn't really much of a comparison. As far as I can tell they provide two separate functions.

There is always a decision to be made when it comes to generating revenue; and in the case of websites and apps an option for reducing the price to the consumer is to include ads. I've never liked ads much, and have kept them off of the site and the app for that reason.

It is all certainly stuff to think about as we move into the age of digital portability. I began my pilgrim life in 2003, and remember having to wait several days to write an email. The internet has caught up to the camino (and much of Spain) and I was surprised to see just how many albergues had their own WiFi. It's all part of the evolution I suppose, and carrying a smart phone to keep in touch seems like a sensible approach to me. I carried a wifi only (locked sim) iPhone along the San Salvador, Primitivo, and Invierno. I was able to peck out emails in the evenings, and was never more than 30km from an open connection to send them off. I would have been happy to have a guidebook on the same device, to see at a glance how far things were and what I could reasonably expect to find when I got there. That is possible now for the Francés, and will be soon for the others.

Also, a droid version is in the works. I had to start somewhere so I chose the iPhone as the first step. Watch this space in about a month for the droid version.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I downloaded you're app. Disappointed as very few pictures, little comments and not a great deal of info. Hope you can update as it was not the cheapest app. Regards Stu

Stu,

Indeed an update is in the works, including a large number of pictures. Most of the pictures are available already if you are on a data connection. As for the comments, they depend heavily on other users of the app and website so with time they will fill up.

When is your next camino?

Michael

Hi Mike
Starting my first Camino in Early Sept 2012.? Hopefully after a few updates I'm sure you will have a great App. Sorry about being a bit negative but it's early days I know. All the best with the Camino App Mike.
Regards Stu

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.