• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Francés starting in Chartres Cathedral?

amgvita

Hello all.

My name is Ana, I am a Colombian living in London. I am new in the forum and will do my first Camino starting by the end of January.
I have the information I need (I think) from St John de PDP, but I am thinking that I would like to start in Chartres Cathedral in France as I have time and have always been interested in Chartres. Has anyone walked from there? Where can I find information about albergues, the route etc? (I've read that there are not many albergues for pilgrims in France?). I speak Spanish and English but no French at all—will that be problematic? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best to all,
AnaM.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Confraternity of St James in London has a guide book called Paris to the Pyrenees that includes Chartres to Vouvray, then Voyray to Bordeaux and Bordeaux to Saint/Palais/Bibraltar and on to St Jean and then Roncesvalles.

The route is called the Via Turonensis (as it passes through Tours, itself a major place of pilgrimage with the shrine of the 4th century St Martin) and is ± 1 800 km to Santiago.
The route is relatively flat as it passes through the Loire valley, the Touraine, Poitou, Angoumois, Saintonge, Bordelais and the Landes where it meets with the other two routes from Le Puy and Vevey at Ostabat.

Much of the original route has become tarmac highway. Although various associations are working at creating safe paths and guides for pilgrims, it is still not a popular route due to the amount of road walking involved and way-marking is scarce in sections. Pilgrim accommodation is sparse until you reach the south.
http://www.amis-st-jacques-tours.org
pagesperso-orange.fr/viaturonensis

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ana,

You indicated you have some time and the Paris (just move to Chartres) route is explained here:

http://www.csj.org.uk/route-paris.htm

Take a look at that resource, ask additional questions, then plan accordingly.

That said, if your true desire is to walk the Way to Santiago, may I suggest you fly into Paris, visit Chartres for a few days, then take the train to SJPDP. Check connections/fares here:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point ... 0&noLock=1

This will allow you to cover all the bases, with the least opportunity for hassles, or disappointment.

Buen Camino,

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello "sillydoll". Thank you so very much for the information. I didn't realise that is about 1800 km!...I will have to think about it.

Best.
AnaM

sillydoll said:
The Confraternity of St James in London has a guide book called Paris to the Pyrenees that includes Chartres to Vouvray, then Voyray to Bordeaux and Bordeaux to Saint/Palais/Bibraltar and on to St Jean and then Roncesvalles.

The route is called the Via Turonensis (as it passes through Tours, itself a major place of pilgrimage with the shrine of the 4th century St Martin) and is ± 1 800 km to Santiago.
The route is relatively flat as it passes through the Loire valley, the Touraine, Poitou, Angoumois, Saintonge, Bordelais and the Landes where it meets with the other two routes from Le Puy and Vevey at Ostabat.

Much of the original route has become tarmac highway. Although various associations are working at creating safe paths and guides for pilgrims, it is still not a popular route due to the amount of road walking involved and way-marking is scarce in sections. Pilgrim accommodation is sparse until you reach the south.
http://www.amis-st-jacques-tours.org
pagesperso-orange.fr/viaturonensis

Hello Arn,

Thank you very much for the information and your advice.
Yes, my main objective is to walk the way to Santiago, I will study all the info and I'll think about your suggestion. It might be better to do it that way.

Best.
AnaM

Arn said:
Ana,

You indicated you have some time and the Paris (just move to Chartres) route is explained here:

http://www.csj.org.uk/route-paris.htm

Take a look at that resource, ask additional questions, then plan accordingly.

That said, if your true desire is to walk the Way to Santiago, may I suggest you fly into Paris, visit Chartres for a few days, then take the train to SJPDP. Check connections/fares here:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point ... 0&noLock=1

This will allow you to cover all the bases, with the least opportunity for hassles, or disappointment.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ana, a friend and I walked the Via Turonensis in 2004 and didn't know French either. But we got by with hand signals and the kindness of strangers.
For the first 900km there were very few pilgrim shelters so we stayed in cheap hotels, B&Bs and youth hostels.
If you don't have time to walk the whole way, you could still cover it as a road trip by hopping on local transport between the most important towns.
Start in Paris and visit some of the St Jacques sites before getting a bus or train to Chartres, spending a day or so there. From there you could get transport to Orleans then Amboise, Chatellerault, Poitiers, St Jean d'Angely, Saintes, Pons, Bordeaux and down to Saint Palais (great pilgrim museum here!)
We did a worthwhile side trip by train from Dax to Lourdes. On the way back the train stops at Peyrehorade and you can walk to Bidache from there. Then to Saint Palais, Ostabat and St Jean Pied de Port.
Once you cross over into Spain you can walk the Camino Frances all the way to Santiago.
buena suerte!

PS: My Spanish teacher in 2001 was from Colombia.

sillyDoll,

Thank you again, great info. I have decided now for sure I will stop in Paris (I heard works in Notre Dame are finished and is looking beautiful!), then I'll be for a couple of days in Chartres and then St Jean PP. I will have a look into what you are suggesting, I have time but my budget is not great, so will see. All the best!

sillydoll said:
Ana, a friend and I walked the Via Turonensis in 2004 and didn't know French either. But we got by with hand signals and the kindness of strangers.
For the first 900km there were very few pilgrim shelters so we stayed in cheap hotels, B&Bs and youth hostels.
If you don't have time to walk the whole way, you could still cover it as a road trip by hopping on local transport between the most important towns.
Start in Paris and visit some of the St Jacques sites before getting a bus or train to Chartres, spending a day or so there. From there you could get transport to Orleans then Amboise, Chatellerault, Poitiers, St Jean d'Angely, Saintes, Pons, Bordeaux and down to Saint Palais (great pilgrim museum here!)
We did a worthwhile side trip by train from Dax to Lourdes. On the way back the train stops at Peyrehorade and you can walk to Bidache from there. Then to Saint Palais, Ostabat and St Jean Pied de Port.
Once you cross over into Spain you can walk the Camino Frances all the way to Santiago.
buena suerte!

PS: My Spanish teacher in 2001 was from Colombia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back