• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino France late April 2015

Sonja Van Rhyn

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning doing one in April/May 2015. From Leon. Limited holiday time.....
Myself and my friend will be walking the Camino France end April/May 2015. We only have 19 days. We want to start from SJPDP and go all the way to the end. We will be walking the last 200km ongoing... My question is, can we walk a day or two and then get ahead by taxi or bus, for at least 3 days/few kilometers, and then walk again for a few days and so on.... and then stop at 200km and walk to the end? Will that be possible? Transport?
We thought of going to Leon and start walking from there and just do that piece, but the whole route looks so beautiful..... we don't want to miss out on scenery? Please give some advice.
We will come from SA via Madrid. Which Airport is best in Madrid?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sonja, Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2015.
Could you do it in 18 days? Of, course...would you have a great experience...maybe...is starting from SJPDP a must...depends on you.
Many pilgrims will do only one Camino in a life time, so I'd imagine they would want it to be memorable.
Here's my suggestion: fly into Santiago, take the bus to Lugo. (It's right outside plek 3) in Lugo change bus to Sarria and walk up the hill to your first albergue...walking the Way. 7-8 days into SDC (2 days walking around) walk to Finisterre 5. Days, bus back to SDC fly out next morning...tired, happy, Compostela and Finisterre in hand.
Warning: you may think this is your only Camino...the Camino may have different plans.
Totsiens and Buen Camino.
Arn

Yeah, of course you will have a great time walking the Camino from SJPdP all the way to Santiago even if you do "leapfrog" a bit via bus, taxi or train. Besides, you are planning on walking the last 200 kilometers anyway, so plenty enough to get a compostela with. Lots of ways to do that with the bus system in Spain. www.alsa.es
Get a guidebook and plan your route with it and the bus system routes and schedules. Visit the cities like Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon. They are pretty cool and easy to reach by bus. Skip a few spots like some of the stretches of the meseta out of Burgos or Carrion de los Condes. Santiago is a very cool city. You might want to spend a couple of days there. Personally I think the whole going to Finisterre thing is overrated (I did it last summer) and would skip that on a first Camino where you don't have the time to walk the whole thing. Besides, if you end up really liking your Camino experience, you can always do it again sometime when you have more time. It is not going anywhere, and you don't have to have a "Camino family" for it to be a great Camino experience. I still keep in touch with people I met on both Caminos, but in neither did I have a "Camino family" I started and finished with.
I imagine if you are flying in from SA you will land at Madrid Barajas airport. You can fly back to that airport from Santiago, or take a bus or train to there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Myself and my friend will be walking the Camino France end April/May 2015. We only have 19 days. We want to start from SJPDP and go all the way to the end. We will be walking the last 200km ongoing... My question is, can we walk a day or two and then get ahead by taxi or bus, for at least 3 days/few kilometers, and then walk again for a few days and so on.... and then stop at 200km and walk to the end? Will that be possible? Transport?
We thought of going to Leon and start walking from there and just do that piece, but the whole route looks so beautiful..... we don't want to miss out on scenery? Please give some advice.
We will come from SA via Madrid. Which Airport is best in Madrid?

Sonja:

There is no bad way to walk your Camino. That said, one of the benefits, imo, of the Camino is the people you will meet along the way (Camino Family). The method you are proposing will somewhat negate that aspect. I would recommend you revisit the Leon option you had considered. This will provide a continuity to your walk. You will be eligible for a Compostela and should have time to spend in Santiago with new found friends or even walk on to Finistere.

Whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be the best one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

We thought of going to Leon and start walking from there and just do that piece, but the whole route looks so beautiful..... we don't want to miss out on scenery? Please give some advice....

I hate to break that to you, but with that approach you will have a lot of heartache (losing new won friends/camino family) AND you will still miss out on a lot of things (the hard bits that you will be proud of to have managed for example).

You have only 19 days (non-negotiable?): Start closer Astorga or Ponferrada come to mind or Leon, if you are really fit. The one thing nearly all pilgrims value is the companionship on the road, by skipping ahead you will have to say so many good-byes. ...

Buen Camino, whatever you decide, SY

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back