• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances 2019 PostScript 1: NOT TOO MUCH, NOT TOO FAST.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Camino Portugues 2015
IMG_6090.JPG
As Suzie and I return from Spain, we experience what many Pilgrims experience. Life in America is Fast! Life in Spain, not so much. Suzie's Dad, Bob Laird (RIP), had the best explanation in the world for Mañana. Ask almost anyone and they'll say Mañana means tomorrow. Ask Bob and you get the real answer, "Not Today" - think about it. Spain truly is the Land of Mañana.

It's easy to return to America and get all consumed with LBC - Life Before Camino. LAC -Life After Camino, on the other hand, offers so many different options. This was not our first Camino, yet it's a reminder of the simple elegance of the Camino. As my Dad would say, "Slow down, Son".

Upon my return, I had 4,897 emails in my Inbox. I have 3,286 pictures that I took with my iPhone (I took a camera, as well). In these first few days back to "reality", it simply takes some time for "re-entry" - Not Too Much, Not Too Fast.

It took 4 Credencials for Camino Frances:
1-Only Churches
2-Only Where We Slept each Night
3-Bars and Cafes
4-Sarria to Santiago

I'm looking through my Guidebook and my small Notebook, where I took notes with my Parker Jotter Pen of all the Pilgrims I met along The Way.

Suzie and I must thank all of all Family and Friends that supported us on our Pilgrimage - we are truly blessed.

To all of the fellow Pilgrims, that helped make our journey exceptional - Thank You - Muchas Gracias!

And here are most their names, retained in my little notebook:

Alan and Kenna
Angel Spain
Angel
Ann Australia
Annie Maryland
Barbara North Carolina
Bee Norway
Beth Pennsylvania
Betsy Tennessee
Bill and Maxine Georgia
Bob and Cindy Indiana
Bob and Emili Indiana
Bob and Gretchen Texas
Butterfly Florida
Carol California
Ceferino Spain
Ceferino Jr Spain
Chris France
Chris and Patty California
Cimey and Wanda Spain
Dan and Tel Holland
David and Bridget California
David and Jan Indiana
David and Maryanne New Zealand
Don and Jamie Texas
Don and Linda California
Ed and Lisa
Emilio New York
Eric and Leah
Eugene United Kingdom
Fr Bernard Spain
Fr Daniel
Fr Jim Texas
Fr Manny Spain
Fr Moe Texas
Fr Sibi Texas
Frank and Sonia California
Fritz and Carolyn Michigan
Gale Pennsylvania
Geraldo Spain
Gregg and Kathy
Guy and Tracey Australia
Hilary Australia
Ivanna Canada
Jacklyn
Jacob Germany
Jacque Germany
Jami Pennsylvania
Jan Finland
Javier Spain
Jean Claude France
Jean Jacques Spain
Jennifer Kentucky / Indiana
Jennifer Texas
Jennifer United Kingdom
Jerry Florida / California
Jerry and Amy Wisconsin
Jessica Alabama
John United Kingdom
John and Bonnie Canada
JohnnieWalker Spain
Jose and Olga Spain
Joseph Australia
Juan Spain
Juan and Rosa Spain
Juan Carlos Zamora Tamayo Spain
Julian Australia
Julian Brazil
Kate Australia
Kathleen
Kenna Canada
Lara Australia
Larry and Edith
Lauren California
Leslie Germany
Leslie Michigan
Louisa Germany
Lucia Australia
Manon California
Marilyn South Africa
Marion Georgia
Mark and Carol
Marty and Sabrina Ohio
Mary Washington
Maureen
Maximo and Mercedes Spain
Micky Delaware
Mike California
Mike and Bev Montana
Miriam Spain
Monk Ramon Spain
Montana Alabama
Nate and Faith
Nichola Ireland
Ofelia California
Oris Switzerland
Pally United Kingdom
Pascal France
Paul Canada
Pepe and Josephine Spain
Peter United Kingdom
Philip Florida / California
Philip Spain
Ray Florida
Richard
Richard and Linda Jan
Rob Florida / California
Rob and Helen
Rob and Julie
Rose Mary California
Steve and Linda Washington
Sun South Korea
Tammy Georgia
Tara
Ted and Lisa California
Thommy and Lisa Sweden
Tim Florida / California
Tom and Penny New York
Tomas Spain
Tony and Judy Australia
Trevor New York
Valerie Canada
Vicki Australia
Victoria Australia
William France
Yelena U.S. Virgin Islands
Yolanda California

If you've read this far, "Yes" we have our own Sello (Stamp) to share with Friends along The Way.IMG_6092.JPGIMG_6090.JPG IMG_6092.JPG

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This was not our first Camino, yet it's a reminder of the simple elegance of the Camino. As my Dad would say, "Slow down, Son".
So true. Beautiful.

And there is really a place called Friendswood?
Wow, if that isn't the perfect place to come from, and to back to!
Buen camino de la vida, peregrino/a! May you both bring the spirit of the camino home and be friends to all. Friendship is a scarce commodity, in these angry times .

(And the emails...aiyiyi. I hope you haven't tried to answer them all in a few sittings. Poco a poco...)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So true. Beautiful.

And there is really a place called Friendswood?
Wow, if that isn't the perfect place to come from, and to back to!
Buen camino de la vida, peregrino/a! May you both bring the spirit of the camino home and be friends to all. Friendship is a scarce commodity, in these angry times .

(And the emails...aiyiyi. I hope you haven't tried to answer them all in a few sittings. Poco a poco...)

Texas is the friendship state! I'm guilty of replying "Texas" when someone asked where I was from on the camino instead of the states. That usually got a smile or laugh. Great post! I always enjoy people's post camino thoughts and yours ring true Matt! In fact I'm headed out to partake in some small town Texas slow down this evening.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your own stamp!!! I absolutely love the idea and I thank you for my first big smile of the day!!

View attachment 66595View attachment 66595
As Suzie and I return from Spain, we experience what many Pilgrims experience. Life in America is Fast! Life in Spain, not so much. Suzie's Dad, Bob Laird (RIP), had the best explanation in the world for Mañana. Ask almost anyone and they'll say Mañana means tomorrow. Ask Bob and you get the real answer, "Not Today" - think about it. Spain truly is the Land of Mañana.

Of course is Mañana much more important than Hoy in Spain.
Mañana (10N) we have here general elections. I wish we could have an stable government after this.

Buen Camino. :)

So much pleasure in reading your post. What a great idea with the separate credentials to collect stamps. Not too many Canadians on your list. Hopefully more of us will add to the charm and joy of the Camino in the coming years... eh?! 😉 thanks so much for posting. 😀

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back