• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances a Second Time

DuaneS

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4th from SJPDP - May 5, 2017 - Complete!
I completed the Camino Frances from SJPDP in Apr/May of 2017. Lately I've been reminiscing about those times, and am really craving to hit a trail again whenever things start improving, likely in the spring I hope. I live in Spain part of the year now, so I can basically just watch the weather forecast and hit SJPDP in May if the weather looks good.

My question is for people who have done the Camino Frances more than once - did you enjoy it, or did it take away from your original experience? I'm worried I'll tarnish the original trip a bit by doing some of it again. But at the same time, the idea of crossing over the Pyranees again is exciting to me.

Happy to hear from anybody who has done the Camino Frances (or part of it) more than once.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I completed the Camino Frances from SJPDP in Apr/May of 2017. Lately I've been reminiscing about those times, and am really craving to hit a trail again whenever things start improving, likely in the spring I hope. I live in Spain part of the year now, so I can basically just watch the weather forecast and hit SJPDP in May if the weather looks good.

My question is for people who have done the Camino Frances more than once - did you enjoy it, or did it take away from your original experience? I'm worried I'll tarnish the original trip a bit by doing some of it again. But at the same time, the idea of crossing over the Pyranees again is exciting to me.

Happy to hear from anybody who has done the Camino Frances (or part of it) more than once.
Each Camino is different,and each is as special as the one before.I had no idea what was ahead of me the first time I went as I had no forum,no utube and initially only the memory of something I had read as a young man many years before that stayed with me all that time.I was lucky to meet a special pilgrim just before I set out ,and he told me so much to prepare me for what lay ahead.I became addicted after my first Camino and looked back on it as the best learning experience of my life,and each that followed became a whole new lesson in life.This year should have been my 7th since I retired but Covid put an end to that,but I see that as a temporary setback,and will be back in Spain in 2021. Go for your second Camino, meet all the new people you will remember forever, share all the new experiences be they social,spiritual or religious, and take with you all the best wishes of your fellow pilgrims.BUEN CAMINO.

I never consider how many times I have done Camino as each time is different! I am always in my heart a "first -timer" as things physically change as well as mentally and spiritually. Even my visage changes! :). My pace changes, my gear changes and so does the weather! It took me four goes over the Pyrenees before I ever saw them clearly thanks to rain, fog, low cloud and snow flurries. It is that unseen spirit of Camino that is the constant within change. Go when you can! Enjoy! Buen Camino.

Samarkand.

Walking anything a second time is all about the mindset you decide on. One thing I would say is that if there was one or two very special memories that were related to particularly places you stopped or stayed, maybe this time don't stop or stay at them just in case the second time somehow lessens the original "special" memory. I generally have no problem staying in the same places again but there are probably only three very special memories from all my pilgrim walks that are still precious enough that I would probably be very cautious about stopping/staying in the places linked to those memories

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The second time I walked the Frances I was astonished by how often events, localities and even entire towns were in the wrong order and looked entirely different to my memories. The third time I was ready for these tricks of memory and geography but still got caught out on occasion. After that I got used to the idea that even if I thought I was doing the same camino as last time the camino had different ideas for me.
Oh, ok, the same places are still there (though sometimes still in not the same order) but every time the pilgs are different, the weather is different, the finite route is different, Albergue availability is diffrent, the menu peregrino (is still the same), and I am different.

“We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Through the unknown, remembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning;
At the source of the longest river
The voice of the hidden waterfall
And the children in the apple-tree
Not known, because not looked for
But heard, half-heard, in the stillness
Between two waves of the sea.”

If you think tomorrow is a repeat of yesterday you haven't been paying attention ;)

Hi @DuaneS
Although i have only one CF behind my back i think i know what you are talking about .

I had briliant CF and by briliant i mean shin splint on both of my legs , heavy backpack and totaly wrong gear in general ( exept my keen sandals ) . I made a few friends from 4 contitnets , i felt in love a couple of times , i laught and i cried ( when i was saying goodbye to my camino family ) . Since then i walked 2 times CP . And hopfully Camino primitivo next year . But i still can't find the streight in me to do the CF again . I want to remember it what i was :) It seems to me that you are stronger than me ( as the most of the members here ) . So if you want to do it just go for it !

P.S in 2018 i met an lady in Finisterra and we spoke about this , i still remember her answer "Camino Frances is like the first love , why do you compare it ? " .

Ultreia !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some mentioned above very accurately. No use in comparing previous experiences, I made that mistake though. :)

No camino like the first one, there’s not like the second, third or the tenth one either. You’ll enjoy all of them differently, I believe it doesn't necessarily mean in a lower degree though.

Other people and other times to share, just the same path.

@DuaneS I walked the CF in 2017 and 2018. I enjoyed it both times. What did I do differently the second time?
  • I had to be cognizant not try to recreate my first Camino in order to have a new an equally rewarding experience.
  • I had to be cognizant not to draw comparisons to my first Camino in an effort to remain open and live in the moment.
  • I tried to walk different paths (variants) that I did not walk the first time.
  • I tried to stay in different towns (stages).
  • I walked a little later in the year, but would have liked to experience a different season.
  • I had different tramilies, and made new friends. (Again, I had to be careful not to type cast characters from my first Camino).
  • While I think I did a good job at the above ... I do think that maybe, just maybe I should have waited a little bit longer before repeating the same route. There will probably always be a little dejavu (familiarity or experience). I am undecided on this point.
Having said all of this, I had a blast and would walk it again tomorrow if I could! 👣 :D :cool:

I'm not sure if I have ever seen such unanimity in the answers to a question on the forum! And I am in agreement with them all. Even if the intensity of the first Camino isn't duplicated, the joy and satisfaction can be repeated - just as with many experiences in life. Go with an open mind and minimal expectations.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Three times - each time is different and totally enjoyable. Cant wait until we can travel again.

I have walked from st Jean pdePort to SdC 4 times now and every time it was different and everytime just as enjoyable!
A friend of mine has walked it 7 or 8 times (maybe 9 now, I lose track!) and loved it every time.
Just don’t expect the same as the first time, in fact go without expectations 😎

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After my first camino frances I said never again, but I started from Roncesvalles and had to try starting from St J P d P, so next time from there, and next time from Le Puy, and later some parts of it from Astorga on the way from Sevilla, and later on other halves of it. It was never the same and never as challenging as the first time. Since I started in 2005 much has differed during the years, from no wifi, no Tv ,no phone, less people, more quiet, so I must admit the masses nowaday bother me enough to choose other walkingpaths.

I've walked the CF three times so far. 2 x from St Jean and 1 x last 200 kms or so.
Every time was very different.

On one side I liked the 'familiarity' with the surroundings.
I tried to make sure to stay in different towns & villages or at least different accommodation and eating places.
Couple of old favourites have to be included though!

Only one downside.

It wasn't a 'new' experience.
I missed the excitement of not knowing what was around the next bend or what the next village would be like.
That sense of adventure.

Will I walk the CF again? Probably.

But first I want to walk some other routes....
And hopefully recapture that 'first time' feeling :)

The biggest mistake I made on my first Frances was walking too fast. So I walked more slowly on my second, and enjoyed it immensely. And walked even slower on my third.... Give yourself time to smell the roses, as they say.

100% agree. The slower the better! Forget keeping up with Camino 'families' or schedules......
Savour every step, and make it last...

I usually slow right down during the last 100 kms, (7-8 days or more) as I don't want it all to end too quickly :oops:
Lots of nice places to linger over long lunches.....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Every Camino brings its own joys and all different. You will not look back at what was but constantly be aware of your forward journey .

The biggest mistake I made on my first Frances was walking too fast. So I walked more slowly on my second, and enjoyed it immensely. And walked even slower on my third.... Give yourself time to smell the roses, as they say.
Yes, more slowly and more observant, is how I enjoyed each additional Camino walks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Repetition did not take away from the original experience. Nor did it replicate it. It was its own experience with its own joys and challenges. I was able to avoid some of the mistakes I made in earlier caminos and find some new ones to make.

Repetition did not take away from the original experience. Nor did it replicate it. It was its own experience with its own joys and challenges. I was able to avoid some of the mistakes I made in earlier caminos and find some new ones to make.
In my case, I kept making the same mistakes and added new ones

I walked the CF from Le Puy and ended in Santiago in 2012. It was the most enjoyable physical, cultural and spiritual adventure I ever experienced. So I wanted to repeat that experience but I read that the CF was so overcrowded. Thus in 2018 I walked part of the Tolosana and then the Aragonese. Though the landscapes were also beautiful , I felt lonely , even at the end of each stage. I met only a few pilgrims. I missed a lot of the Camino spirit of my first time. I missed the cultural and historic places and the rituals like on Cruz de Ferro , Monte del Gozzo, etc,...I admit this a personal opinion and others will not necessarrily share. I am now 71 and if I can ( addicted) , I will consider to walk the CF again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the CF from Le Puy and ended in Santiago in 2012. It was the most enjoyable physical, cultural and spiritual adventure I ever experienced. So I wanted to repeat that experience but I read that the CF was so overcrowded. Thus in 2018 I walked part of the Tolosana and then the Aragonese. Though the landscapes were also beautiful , I felt lonely , even at the end of each stage. I met only a few pilgrims. I missed a lot of the Camino spirit of my first time. I missed the cultural and historic places and the rituals like on Cruz de Ferro , Monte del Gozzo, etc,...I admit this a personal opinion and others will not necessarrily share. I am now 71 and if I can ( addicted) , I will consider to walk the CF again.
A lot of people seem to say that the Camino Frances is overcrowded. I have never understood that. My first Camino was in 1989 and my second was in 2016 so it is not like I have no experience of the "less crowded camino" and there is no question that it was a heck of a lot more crowded the second time than the first. But I didn't see that as a bad thing. I like my fellow pilgrims! I am happy to share the route with many of them. Yes, more pilgrims mean more people looking for beds at night, buying things from the shops, eating at the restaurants, etc. But I never had any problems finding a bed or a table at a bar/restaurant, or what I needed in the shops on my second "crowded" camino as compared to my first. With more pilgrims came more infrastructure to support them.

Last edited:
Two stories come to mind. On the train from Bayonne to SJPdP a man announced, "This will be my second Camino Frances." A German standing next to him asked, "What's the problem? Didn't you understand it the first time?"
Later at a dinner I overheard a woman tell her husband. "We walk this same Camino every year. This is our eleventh time. Next year I want to do something different."

Not a bit of it. Second was great just as first and just as third. Fourth was not completed due to an accident. Each time had its own highlights and weather. Stayed in different albergues each time and did different stages staying in different towns. Discovered the joy of staying in primitive albergues like San Anton, San Bol and San Nicolas. Places I would not have dreamt of staying in on my first. Just dont try to recreate your first. Just go and take each day as it comes. Walk a few more or a few less km to stay in different locations. You will love it and then you will want to do it again. 2018, I had decided to at last do a different route but walking from Lisboa to Porto own my own was a bit daunting as I am not good with 30+ km days. My friend who was going too could only go start of March, I couldnt go until start of April so I found myself back on the Frances climbing the Pyrenees again and loving every minute except for the blizzard just after crossing border into Spain. But that in itself was a new experience to be hated at the time, treasured on looking back. Falling in an ice cold river and needing rescued was scary but once again, an experience. If and when I go back, it will have to be Frances again as I have a river to prove I can cross lol. So until it is safe to go again, keep on dreaming and planning. Buen Camino

Every repeat will be as exciting as the first. While I have done the CF only once, I have hiked the Grand Canyon down to the river and back out at least 8 times following the same route. Every hike revealed something new and memorable.

I walked in spring 2017 with my daughter and a close friend. It was wonderful and I loved everything about it - especially spending so much time with my daughter. However, having a "built in" group of three kept me from really exploring things I wanted to see and from meeting other pilgrims to the level I'd hoped. So, I went back last fall (2019) and walked solo. It was an incredibly different experience and one that I loved as well. I was able to go at my own pace, stop or go on when I chose, stay where I liked, ate when I wanted to and met over a 100 pilgrims - some of whom I have remained in contact with via text or What'sApp. It was comforting to know what I was in for and what I could reasonably expect on the second walk, and it satisfied my yearning to go back. Next up, a different camino, maybe the Portuguese when we Americans can get back to Europe. All I can say is, GO and do it again!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I have walked the Camino five times - Frances, Portuguese, Madrid, del Norte & Primitovo. Each experience was different, unique and highly enjoyable. If you have the time and desire, I'll say go for it!

I might add that during my last Camino, I hopscotched over three different walks using the bus or train. It was a fantastic way to sample the various Ways. Highly recommended!

Did the CF twice.
First time was my all time first. It all excitement, anticipation, flying by the seat of my pants with the concomitant pressure, thrill of adventures and misadventures, meeting new people and confronting new situations,... It was unforgettable and got me addicted.
Second time was after walking 8 other camino routes and deciding to refresh the CF experience. I took alternate routes that I did not take the first time, stayed in different towns, took time to stop and smell the wildflowers, took off-route excursions on foot to see historic and cultural sites, having many adventures and fewer misadventures, met different people, and took time to keep a note book. It was more relaxed. It was familiar yet new. It was a different experience. It did not mar the memory of my first CF in any way. Highly recommend!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It will be different but wonderful none the less! Different people, perhaps a stay in a different Albergue or town. I have done a complete from St.JdeP to Santiago. I recall saying to my friend ;I don't think I will do this again' and she thought she would She didn't but I did. Went and did a 500km again. And then another 500km again. Last Fall 2019 I did 600km. I can only say do go again - it is always a wonderful experience. Last Fall I met a guy from Russia and 2 Bulgarians firsts for me! It just continues to call me. In sem-lockdown I am now planning for my next Camino tho it will only be in 2 or 3 years. I's always on my mind.

I walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostella., first in the spring of 2016 and then in the autumn of 2017. What I posted earlier on a different thread was:

Knowing much about what each day will bring, perhaps I can immerse myself even more in the beauty of spring in northern Spain, and have an even deeper meditative/spiritual experience.

The second Camino was all that and a far, far deeper experience. I did not remember all the details, but knowing what the day would bring allowed me to immerse myself in the beauty, the sounds, the smells, all so beautiful. The meditative, spiritual, and religious experience was far deeper. I seemed to have more time, and was able to learn more of the history, visit more museums, churches, make more side trips (like to Samos and to Vilar de Donas outside Palas de Rei). I ate better and attended more pilgrim's masses.

My first Camino will always be special; the second a far deeper and very moving experience. I enjoyed every moment. I am so very grateful.

Buen Camino!
--james--

I agree with @wayfarer, do not compare the second CF with the first one and try to lodge and stop in different places if you can. My second CF, which I did following year after the first one, was better in terms of logistics as I knew the ropes but I did it to fast (because of my work) in only 26 days so I didn't keep on meeting the same people. Otherwise I loved it and I am planning to do the 3rd one because I am craving it.
This year in August I did Via Francigena and it was amazing. I did only 409 km stretch from Lucca to Rome but the scenery was to die for.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Had a little anxiety about the social aspect and sharing my space before my Camino so that will be better when I do again ,Overpacked as a lot of us do and maybe missed a few towns where we (me and my ex,she was ex when we set off also!) Would have loved to stay.
Did a lot right through,walking trainers and no blisters ,carried out own rucksacks (as we are not disabled and it's a big part ,carry what you use) also pushed ourselves but at the same time left plenty of time to explore the places we stayed at.
Maybe I need more tolerance next time on the last stage from Sarria when the tourist trail starts
Try anyway

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe I need more tolerance next time on the last stage from Sarria when the tourist trail starts
Clearly. Not everyone is fortunate enough to take the time away from work and family obligations to walk a longer Camino. Those who start in Sarria are just as much pilgrims as anyone else. It is intent, not distance that makes the pilgrim.

Yep plenty of valid reasons but they could put some effort in like the ones I saw, a big group of young lads, starting of, the leader gave them a big. Pep talk then they just walked past their bags all labeled up and full of Camino stickers and baubles,probebly a taxi waiting for them also.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Would rather say how I feel /felt than today's fashion of virtue signalling
Nobody has to agree.
Just hope my 2nd one is relatively soon, feel I need it, the amount of time I spend looking back over my adventure and reading other people's on here

In the situation I mentioned, what compassion is needed, a big group of physically fit young guys couldn't be bothered to carry their bags,we walked with Some who had real physical and emotional difficulties but didn't compromise,
There was more than I felt that this last stage was a disneyfication of the camino, or at least getting that way

In the situation I mentioned, what compassion is needed, a big group of physically fit young guys couldn't be bothered to carry their bags,we walked with Some who had real physical and emotional difficulties but didn't compromise,
There was more than I felt that this last stage was a disneyfication of the camino, or at least getting that way
It's more than likely that group of physically fit young guys were Spaniards experiencing a bit of their own culture in their own way in their own country. Not a foreigner trying to impose his own culture on them.
There is nothing wrong with walking the Camino with joy, regardless of how you do it.

I walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostella., first in the spring of 2016 and then in the autumn of 2017. What I posted earlier on a different thread was:

Knowing much about what each day will bring, perhaps I can immerse myself even more in the beauty of spring in northern Spain, and have an even deeper meditative/spiritual experience.

The second Camino was all that and a far, far deeper experience. I did not remember all the details, but knowing what the day would bring allowed me to immerse myself in the beauty, the sounds, the smells, all so beautiful. The meditative, spiritual, and religious experience was far deeper. I seemed to have more time, and was able to learn more of the history, visit more museums, churches, make more side trips (like to Samos and to Vilar de Donas outside Palas de Rei). I ate better and attended more pilgrim's masses.

My first Camino will always be special; the second a far deeper and very moving experience. I enjoyed every moment. I am so very grateful.

Buen Camino!
--james--
James,
I was planning to walk the Camino Frances again this year (alas, COVID had other ideas) for this very reason: "to immerse myself in the beauty, the sounds, and the smells."

It's more than likely that group of physically fit young guys were Spaniards experiencing a bit of their own culture in their own way in their own country. Not a foreigner trying to impose his own culture on them.
There is nothing wrong with walking the Camino with joy, regardless of how you do it.
Italians actually ,were they imposing their culture ?or just co2 from all the taxi drops

Slight annoyance at other pilgrims is okay. I once was way more than slightly annoyed. I know and understand uncontrollable rage on the camino. It's an entirely valid emotion. You see, I had walked the Norte a second time, sort of. The first time I only walked half of it before turning off to walk the Primitivo. So I didn't really walk the full Norte the first time. The second time on the Norte, I walked the entire length. It was nice. I was not perturbed when the Norte met up with the CF and the inevitable throng of people. The true test came after that, however, for I walked the Ingles immediately after. It was on the Ingles that I felt this uncontrollable rage at a group of about 20 youngsters walking at approximately the same pace as me, starting from Ferrol. They were blasting their pop music from a boombox, yes, an old fashioned boombox they carried. They were carrying their packs also but I wished they weren't, because then they would walk faster and I would be rid of them and their music. I thought they were kids from hell sent to torment me. From time to time they would take group breaks to eat and drink. I would have my solitude for a while. Invariably they would catch up to me, then they would break again, then catch up to me again. Eventually the task of walking carrying a pack tired them. The boombox disappeared into their support van. They continued to carry their packs though, except for one who was badly blistered by then. A mutual interest developed. Conversations started. I got to know them a little, and they got to know me a little. These were high school students from different regions of Spain on a group trip. When they learned I had just completed the Norte before starting on the Ingles, the amount of hero worship they bestowed on me would swell the ego of even the most humble. My uncontrollable rage magically melted away. I did not think they were from hell anymore. Why, these sweet children were downright angelic, sent from heaven to give me sustenance. We kept company on and off all the way to Santiago, where I met them again and they even shared their snacks with me. That was the lesson on the nature of rage I learned while on the camino.

Good reply, I know I have to take on board that a little of the problem lies in me (maybe ha ha) but there were alot of us with the same feelings, especially when the beds were becoming scareser as the, camino 2 day experience trips started (there I go again, sigh

Slight annoyance at other pilgrims is okay. I once was way more than slightly annoyed. I know and understand uncontrollable rage on the camino. It's an entirely valid emotion. You see, I had walked the Norte a second time, sort of. The first time I only walked half of it before turning off to walk the Primitivo. So I didn't really walk the full Norte the first time. The second time on the Norte, I walked the entire length. It was nice. I was not perturbed when the Norte met up with the CF and the inevitable throng of people. The true test came after that, however, for I walked the Ingles immediately after. It was on the Ingles that I felt this uncontrollable rage at a group of about 20 youngsters walking at approximately the same pace as me, starting from Ferrol. They were blasting their pop music from a boombox, yes, an old fashioned boombox they carried. They were carrying their packs also but I wished they weren't, because then they would walk faster and I would be rid of them and their music. I thought they were kids from hell sent to torment me. From time to time they would take group breaks to eat and drink. I would have my solitude for a while. Invariably they would catch up to me, then they would break again, then catch up to me again. Eventually the task of walking carrying a pack tired them. The boombox disappeared into their support van. They continued to carry their packs though, except for one who was badly blistered by then. A mutual interest developed. Conversations started. I got to know them a little, and they got to know me a little. These were high school students from different regions of Spain on a group trip. When they learned I had just completed the Norte before starting on the Ingles, the amount of hero worship they bestowed on me would swell the ego of even the most humble. My uncontrollable rage magically melted away. I did not think they were from hell anymore. Why, these sweet children were downright angelic, sent from heaven to give me sustenance. We kept company on and off all the way to Santiago, where I met them again and they even shared their snacks with me. That was the lesson on the nature of rage I learned while on the camino.
What a lovely story.

Reminds me of a story a fellow pilgrim told me last year. He had walked from SJPdP, and when he saw a pilgrim at around the 100 km mark wearing with new shoes, felt pretty smug that he had walked all the way from St Jean. That was until he started talking to the pilgrim with the new shoes, and discovered that he had walked from Le Puy, and his shoes had finally given out, so he had to buy new ones.

I've also heard pilgrims who start from St Jean complaining about the Sarria pilgrims stopping and taking pictures in front of every sign. I guess that they have forgotten their excitement when they began their Camino and took pictures like this.

Roncesvalles sign resize.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve read every single one, thank you! Just been soaking them all up and dreaming of my next Camino :)
I have walked many Caminos, and many CFs, as you can tell from my list (there are more than those...).

The next (CF), whenever it can be done, I will walk half distances, staying in places I haven't earlier, and LIVE. Definitely off the "standard" stages. I'll give my walk double time and spend double of my money in many new locations (I am retired with a good pension). I will consider it a gift to myself as well as to the people who need us to walk, for their living. It will be good.

I have rushed it too many times.

Last edited:
What a lovely story.

Reminds me of a story a fellow pilgrim told me last year. He had walked from SJPdP, and when he saw a pilgrim at around the 100 km mark wearing with new shoes, felt pretty smug that he had walked all the way from St Jean. That was until he started talking to the pilgrim with the new shoes, and discovered that he had walked from Le Puy, and his shoes had finally given out, so he had to buy new ones.

I've also heard pilgrims who start from St Jean complaining about the Sarria pilgrims stopping and taking pictures in front of every sign. I guess that they have forgotten their excitement when they began their Camino and took pictures like this.

View attachment 87267
I find it interesting that you found this to be a lovely story. The poster was inclined to be nice and forget his/her "uncontrollable rage" only when showered with compliments, adoration and food sharing. All of a sudden the boys weren't so bad and obnoxious.

I find it interesting that you found this to be a lovely story. The poster was inclined to be nice and forget his/her "uncontrollable rage" only when showered with compliments, adoration and food sharing. All of a sudden the boys weren't so bad and obnoxious.
I took it to mean that after he got to know them, that he found them to be good company.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a now middle-aged retired person, I've been reading all the above comments with interest. I walked the CF in '07, '09, and '18 and experienced so many different groups, foreign , and solo people---good, interesting, odd, absorbed, happy, loud, issues, etc. And whenever a group, or person, started to irritate me I'd remember something (I think) Plato said about 'people are sent to us to either Teach us or else to Bear'. lol. But isn't part of this Camino experience a reason why we walk?? It also reminds me of the time some elder church goers were complaining to my minister of the noise and the glitter etc tracked on the floor from the children's Bible craft lesson . He replied: OK we can cancel the children's classes ---but then we'll have no youngsters here. If you want children to learn here then you have to be tolerant of having some mess. (Just adding my 5 cents.)

As a now middle-aged retired person, I've been reading all the above comments with interest. I walked the CF in '07, '09, and '18 and experienced so many different groups, foreign , and solo people---good, interesting, odd, absorbed, happy, loud, issues, etc. And whenever a group, or person, started to irritate me I'd remember something (I think) Plato said about 'people are sent to us to either Teach us or else to Bear'. lol. But isn't part of this Camino experience a reason why we walk?? It also reminds me of the time some elder church goers were complaining to my minister of the noise and the glitter etc tracked on the floor from the children's Bible craft lesson . He replied: OK we can cancel the children's classes ---but then we'll have no youngsters here. If you want children to learn here then you have to be tolerant of having some mess. (Just adding my 5 cents.)
That is an interesting spread of CF dates. I'm intrigued as to the difference you felt in the two year gap as opposed to the 9 year gap when returning. I once thought I would return soon but now between career and the world it looks to be awhile.

My career was in Education and could only do lengthy travel during summer break. Other summers I traveled to other places. The Camino kept calling to me, however, and once retired I could do the CF slowly, with great enjoyment, in September/Oct.. Back in '07 and '09 cell phones were nearly non-existent and I had to search out Bars etc ( and wait my turn) with one communal old computer to email home. I think the walkers back then didn't treat the CF as a must-do bucket list. In '18 I was surprised by how modernized everything was from the Albergues to the villages. The Trail seemed more crowded, better organized and cared for, the markers plentiful, more accommodation choices, and higher comfort expectations. I didn't book ahead like many. Just took my chances and the Camino always provided. I'd hoped to walk again last month but sadly, like everyone else, I'll pray for another chance next Sept.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Another thought just crossed my mind.
Having walked the CF three times so far, twice from St Jean.

I love the CF, it feels like 'home' and there are always new places explore or stay at.

But I 'should' try another route.
To capture that 'brand new' feeling of anticipation and wonder.
Never really knowing what's around the corner.
Rather than knowing that in 3 kms the next village has a place that does a great lunch!

But........

What if I try another route and constantly 'compare it' to the CF :eek:

Decisions decisions..............:rolleyes:

I guess if on another route and not enjoying it I can always bale out and retreat to the CF :cool:

"Life is like a Box of Chocolates"

But........

What if I try another route and constantly 'compare it' to the CF :eek:
DO NOT compare your next Camino to the Francés. Whichever route you choose will be completely different. I did the Francés in 2016 and 2017, then did the Norte in 2018. It felt very different. In fact every day on the Norte, I remember that a hospitalero in Molinaseca told me that "el Norte no es un Camino, es una ruta." I don't agree with him completely, but the Norte does not have the same feel as the Francés, but it is stunningly beautiful, and I plan for it to be my next Camino, combined with the Primitivo. There are so many elements of the Francés that you won't find on another Camino, but that does not mean that they aren't worthwhile Caminos to walk.

I guess if on another route and not enjoying it I can always bale out and retreat to the CF :cool:

THIS is such an important lesson. No one is bound to any route.
Last year I walked the Lebaniego with my post-seizured, semi-broken husband. We were completely fine with the idea that, if a Camino turned out to be not enjoyable or too hard for any reason, we would just stop and go somewhere nice. There are plenty of lovely places in Spain :)

I haven´t repeated a camino yet because I´m a naturally curious person who likes to do different things. But would I reject the idea of repeating a route if it appeared/appealed to me? No, I'd jump in the first airplane. :)

€83,-
Have given that a lot of thought aswell.
Many of the possible "problems" have been mentioned and discussed, but I'm missing one i fear particularly:

Being a wiseass.

I love my fellow pilgrims and i want only the best for them. Since they have no experience, it is my holy duty to tell them what they should do or dont. What they should eat or not. Where to stop and where not. Because obiously having the huge experience from one single CF a couple of years back makes me an expert on all of those topics.
Or not.
But it certainly makes me annoying at some point.

Yes, i am aware of that particular danger and, when at some distant point in the future i'll have the time for another CF, will be on the lookout for that. But the fear remains, that maybe after a few glasses of Rioja, ill become that wiseass and start giving advice nobody has asked for.

I read many of the posts but not all... It seems to me with COVID 19 still possbly in the mix, it will change some aspects of your camino. I have walked this route a number of times. Have stayed in different places and towns, eaten in different restaurants, had very different weather, met many different people and even varied the paths verses roads. For me, each experience is new...

Last edited:
To Robo: Walking any camino for the first time has meant for me no time or inclination to compare it to anything else I have done before. Each time my mind was occupied with navigation, getting food and lodging, doing laundry, meeting people, and experiencing the culture, joy, beauty, demands, trials and tribulations, and mercies of any given moment. Comparisons usually happen as an academic afterthought, and never regretful.

I have walked several different Caminos over the years. My second CF was a real let down because of the group I found myself walking with. I prefer to walk alone and so I changed everything in Burgos by taking a rest day and never saw them again. Buen Camino.

It was a long time ago, might even be 30+ years. For the first time I tasted a pizza with 4 different kinds of cheese and salami. Although the circumstances were very different, the second time it must have tasted equally delicious, because it's still my favourite pizza.

Need I say more?

Buen Camino....

I had it in my mind, to walk another Camino... a new one. However, that first climb out of SJPP and the anticipation of it seems very attractive. Plus, I can take my time and do a few things differently, with the knowledge of what I might like to change about the experience. Last time (April 6, 2017), I was stressed out and rushing to start according to plan (you will have to forgive me- I hadn't taken a month off to wander in forever. Didn't grasp that there really was no hurry). Also, I might go for more menu del dia than menu peregrino. Could perhaps enjoy some more private albergues, and so on. Just think I might like to take my time and savor a bit.
I am traveling with a friend this time (did I mention that I booked a ticket RT 9/27-10/29?). My other two Caminos were solo, which is my preference, but I am pretty comfortable that this will be a good one.
Covid permitting, it sure is nice to have this to look forward to....

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back