• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Accommodation - Hope this if of use

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I plan on joining the Class 2013 with a Camino which follows the Via Jacobi, Via Gebennensis, The Puy, Camino Frances and Finisterre Way caminos. I expect to walk 2,400 kms in total.

In preparation for this pilgrimage I have researched numerous guides and web sites to compile a listing of accommodation for these various routes. Attached is what I have found for the Camino Frances route. I thought I would share this with fellow pilgrims as it may be of value to new and perhaps veteran pilgrims alike.

The spreadsheet is a first attempt and as such will be updated as I learn more. My intention is to likely focus more on private or shared stays in small hotels, pensions or other private accommodation.

You will note that the name of the establishment is highlighted in green where I have found a positive review (link has been included). I am very interested in hearing from anyone who:

Will share a positive experience on any accommodation listed or other if missing

Can provide a missing website address

Notices an error

Depending on feedback received I will republish the listing at a later date or not.

As the title says “Hope this is of use”.

Many thanks

Guy

Attachments

• Camino Frances Accommodation 2012.xlsx
    226.6 KB · Views: 2,912
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Guy,
Thanks for the spreadsheets, nice work. I'm currently working on a list myself, if I find any extra information I'll pass it on.
Your work is much appreciated.
Buen Camino
Col

Guy:

This is a terrific piece of work.Nice job. I will not ask how long it took to put together

Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow! This is totally awesome and helpful! Thank you for sharing your research and putting it out there for the rest of us pilgrims.
"Bozzie"
Dee Anne

The spreadsheet is a first attempt and as such will be updated as I learn more. My intention is to likely focus more on private or shared stays in small hotels, pensions or other private accommodation.

You will note that the name of the establishment is highlighted in green where I have found a positive review (link has been included). I am very interested in hearing from....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A suggestion....

put this as a Google Doc that is viewable by people with the link (but not editable). It will be easier for you to update and keep current, and you won't have to send out another PDF every time you update it. Google Docs function just like Excel spreadsheets....

Either way, thanks for the hard work!!! You rock!!!

Hello Guy. This is an incredible amount of information. You have managed to find places that I didn't know exist (I was checking only yesterday if there were any pensions or Casa Rurales in Cizur Menor, and couldn't find anything).
Anyway, Here are a few corrections that I noted:
174/175 Albergue Orden de Malta & Sanjuanista are the same place.
Los Arcos: add: La Casa de la Abuela, Plaza de la Fruta. Tel 948 642050
Cirueña: the albergue is called La Virgen de Guadalupe. Tel. 638 924069
Lédigos: There is only one albergue: Albergue Palomar.
Laguna de Castilla: 787/788 is the same place: Albergue La Escuela Tel 987 684786
Arca do Pino/Pedrouzo: New: Albergue Edreira, Calle de la Fuente. Tel. 981 511365/660 234995
Of course, with a list this long, there are several others that I surely missed, but I have given the corrections only on the albergues that I either stayed at or visited this last year 2011. I can't give any corrections on hostels, hotels or Casa Rurales, because we only ever stay in Albergues (apart from the first night when we arrive in Europe, to hopefully have a good night's sleep).
If I could make another suggestion, would it be possible to outline the albergues, to differenciate them from the other establishments? It would make for easier reading!
Anyway, congrats - because you have done an incredible amount of research! Anne

Thanks a lot, man! Wonderful work, will be used.
This may be a right place to remind everyone: the paradors offer discount to customers over 55, and only one in the group has to be that old!

Cheers!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much for all your hard and detailed work. I look forward to staying in some of them along the way. An amazing contribution, so thank you 8)

Guy,

You continue the proud tradition of the members of the Forum...sharing what you know!

With the additional comments, this is a valuable resource for all.

Thank you

Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

First I want to thank everyone who provided great feedback and suggestions for changes. Your positive comments were very much appreciated. I was somewhat hesitant to publish the information not knowing if it would be viewed as usefull however it seems that I needn't have been concerned about this.

With the information received I will set to work updating the information and scouring the forum or blogs for instances where someone has spoken highly of a specific accommodation. While I have a particular interest in small hotels, pensions or other private accommodation I will capture positive comments on all types.

It will be while before I update the information...in the meantime I'm still very much open to hearing about any positive experiences. If at any point you wish an updated version please just send me a private message and I will gladly respond.

Thanks

Guy

Guy,

A great resource which will assist me - and many others. Is there a way we can assist you to maintain the data as it would be a great loss if it becomes out of date.

Well done!

Rob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You have done a tremendous service to the Pilgrims community! Be proud! Gracias!!

Hello,

Thank you very much for your spreadsheet. I hope you don't mind, but I've taken it and made it into an an interactive map that people can customize on their own. It is color coordinated by "type".

This will be a work in progress. Click on each feature to view it's contents.

http://www.arcgis.com/explorer/?open=10180d960774403fa043dc5b367314b6

camino1.jpg

Guy -

This is fantastic. I've collected a couple dozen locations so far & will check them against your spreadsheet. If they're not already included, I will post again with the info.

Thanks so much for sharing this- it obviously took a good deal of time to compile.

Larry

Guy,

My wife and I are planning for 2014 and we also prefer the small hotels, private rooms etc. We would REALLY appreciate your feedback and we will print your current spread sheet.
Currently I am not getting the titles for the column heads "A" etc.
Thank you for your considerable effort!

Harold

When I click on your link in Chrome, it does not load. Do I need to open this file in Explorer? Thanks.

D.Matthew said:
Hello,

Thank you very much for your spreadsheet. I hope you don't mind, but I've taken it and made it into an an interactive map that people can customize on their own. It is color coordinated by "type".

This will be a work in progress. Click on each feature to view it's contents.

http://www.arcgis.com/explorer/?open=10180d960774403fa043dc5b367314b6

camino1.jpg

Guy

I just wanted to add my name to all those who have thanked your for this great resource. My wife and I (both in our early 70's), are planning our adventure walking the last 125 miles of the Camino Frances next May and maybe more at another time. Your contribution will help immeasurably. Thanks again.

Les

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes please provide updated list after your finish walk. Just checked your Excel Sheet for accommodation for Camino Frances and very useful. We are planning our trip in September 2013 so have time to research. Thanks for contribution. :D :)

We are planning to walk from Pamplona to Burgos in early July and have just started to research pensions to stay. Your list is brilliant and will save us endless hours of searching on the internet, thanks for all your hard work. :lol:

Unbelievable ! What a fantastic resource!
Thank you.

There is an albergue Casa Banderas at Vilacha run by Gordon Bell, but I don't know any more details.
Also a brand new albergue at Cruce Filloval 3 Kim's before Triacastela.

Well done :D
Oops I only just realised that this was posted last January not this January.
How I wish I'd seen it before we did our camino ! :)

WOW, an incredible amount of work must have gone into this. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

I plan on joining the Class 2013 with a Camino which follows the Via Jacobi, Via Gebennensis, The Puy, Camino Frances and Finisterre Way caminos. I expect to walk 2,400 kms in total.

In preparation for this pilgrimage I have researched numerous guides and web sites to compile a listing of accommodation for these various routes. Attached is what I have found for the Camino Frances route. I thought I would share this with fellow pilgrims as it may be of value to new and perhaps veteran pilgrims alike.

You will note that the name of the establishment is highlighted in green where I have found a positive review (link has been included). I am very interested in hearing from anyone who:

Will share a positive experience on any accommodation listed or other if missing

Notices an error

Depending on feedback received I will republish the listing at a later date or not.

Many thanks

Guy
Thank you so much for this comprehensive list. We will be using small hotels, casas and pensions in April 2014 and I am sure this will be a great help. Joanne

I have seen this database when it was first posted back in January (2012). I saved it and used it this last October while planning to walk the Meseta. It was very helpful.

Two things I would add to make it more helpful, 1) whether the establishment is On/Off the Camino, and 2) whether the establishment is serviced by Jacotrans/baggage transfer services (all are listed in their brochures). Most pilgrims carry their own, but there are often the 1-2 days where sending baggage ahead helps while healing from blisters/feet/knee/back problems. You do NOT need to know exactly where you are staying that night to use Jacotrans, just the town you are walking to ahead of time. Jacotrans have establishments in every town that accept baggage even if the person is not staying there.

Also, you are asking to supplement any missing info or provide feedback based on personal experiences. Some websites to add:

Line 118 - Pamplona Apartamentos Mirasierra: http://www.atmirasierra.com/ About 1/2 mile from the Camino, but if spending more than 2 days in Pamplona or traveling with family, this place are apartments (1-2 bedrooms), very clean and spacious, great area, plenty supermarkets, pharmacies, and eateries around.

Line 148 Logrono Hostal Numantina-- http://www.hostalnumantina.com/ Popular with bikers, beware no elevator, though.

Line 289 (updated name) Albergue Puerta de Najera: http://www.alberguedenajera.com/ They have a couple of private rooms. 30 Euros individual. Good facilities. Fills out quick because "word of mouth" for the Albergue Municipal in Najera is not great....

Burgos: I would add Hotel Via Gotica to the database: across from Arco de San Martin and two blocks from bus station: http://www.hotelviagotica.com/en/

Line 479- Fromista Hotel San Martin. Green bar please! Very popular with pilgrims; many gather here for their food, great bar, and very kind service to pilgrims.

Line 510 Hostal Camino Real-- the owner Cesar Acero is a modern Knight of Templar when it comes to pilgrims! I saw him assisting many from medical help to food to calls home, good staff. Their communal 7:30pm meal is a do-not-miss if staying at Calzadilla de la Cueza (their beef stew is to die for!).

Line 528 Hostal Alfonso VI: http://www.hostalalfonsovi.com/ at 25 Euros/night is ON the Camino. The rooms are spacious and the service is very kind.

I'll continue sending updates using this thread!

Many thanks for an incredible job!!

I have seen this database when it was first posted back in January (2012). I saved it and used it this last October while planning to walk the Meseta. It was very helpful.

Two things I would add to make it more helpful, 1) whether the establishment is On/Off the Camino, and 2) whether the establishment is serviced by Jacotrans/baggage transfer services (all are listed in their brochures). Most pilgrims carry their own, but there are often the 1-2 days where sending baggage ahead helps while healing from blisters/feet/knee/back problems. You do NOT need to know exactly where you are staying that night to use Jacotrans, just the town you are walking to ahead of time. Jacotrans have establishments in every town that accept baggage even if the person is not staying there.

Also, you are asking to supplement any missing info or provide feedback based on personal experiences. Some websites to add:

Line 118 - Pamplona Apartamentos Mirasierra: http://www.atmirasierra.com/ About 1/2 mile from the Camino, but if spending more than 2 days in Pamplona or traveling with family, this place are apartments (1-2 bedrooms), very clean and spacious, great area, plenty supermarkets, pharmacies, and eateries around.

Line 148 Logrono Hostal Numantina-- http://www.hostalnumantina.com/ Popular with bikers, beware no elevator, though.

Line 289 (updated name) Albergue Puerta de Najera: http://www.alberguedenajera.com/ They have a couple of private rooms. 30 Euros individual. Good facilities. Fills out quick because "word of mouth" for the Albergue Municipal in Najera is not great....

Burgos: I would add Hotel Via Gotica to the database: across from Arco de San Martin and two blocks from bus station: http://www.hotelviagotica.com/en/

Line 479- Fromista Hotel San Martin. Green bar please! Very popular with pilgrims; many gather here for their food, great bar, and very kind service to pilgrims.

Line 510 Hostal Camino Real-- the owner Cesar Acero is a modern Knight of Templar when it comes to pilgrims! I saw him assisting many from medical help to food to calls home, good staff. Their communal 7:30pm meal is a do-not-miss if staying at Calzadilla de la Cueza (their beef stew is to die for!).

Line 528 Hostal Alfonso VI: http://www.hostalalfonsovi.com/ at 25 Euros/night is ON the Camino. The rooms are spacious and the service is very kind.

Thanks so much for the update - will add those websites to the database which I have also saved for use in April. thanks too for the info re Jacotrans - I have not started researching them yet, but have plenty of time. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for all this useful information. Is there an updated spreadsheet available (I can only see the 2012 one). Many thanks.

Hi,

Notices an error

Many thanks

Guy

Hi Guy

Do you have an updated version of accommodation spreadsheet ? We are walking the camino France's next May and would like to stay at pensions/hotels if possible so your spreadsheet will be invaluable! Thanks!

Thanks so much for the update - will add those websites to the database which I have also saved for use in April. thanks too for the info re Jacotrans - I have not started researching them yet, but have plenty of time. Buen Camino

Hi ! Do you have an updated version of the accommodation spreadsheet? We are walking the camino in May 2015 so any recommendations or advise would be appreciated! Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is there an up dated version of the excel sheet available? we are walking the Camino in September 2015 and would like to make use of the fantastic information many thanks for all the hard work xxx

Glad you found the info of use...sorry it has not been kept up to date. I ended up joining a few pilgrims who could speak Spanish and all my planning simply went out the window...a good thing. Other forum members could advise of a much better spreadsheet that has been published on the Forum and kept up to date.

Trust this other spreadsheet will be highlighted by someone and will be of value to you. Buen Camino!

Guy

I walked the Camino Frances in May/June this year and have an itinerary and accommodation (small pensions and hotels) to match. We walked +- 20km per day so the itinerary is for 40 days with mostly a choice of 3 places. I can't seem to load it but if you Message me with your email address, I will send it to you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Camino Frances in May/June this year and have an itinerary and accommodation (small pensions and hotels) to match. We walked +- 20km per day so the itinerary is for 40 days with mostly a choice of 3 places. I can't seem to load it but if you Message me with your email address, I will send it to you.
I would love this information about accommodation, as we are going at that time this year. My email is aoconnell1451@gmail.com Thank you so much.

Thank you for your list! Buen Camino!
amberltyrrell@msn.com

Hi Joanne,
We are walking the CF on Aug 2015, can I have a copy of your accommodation list? My email is raguenza@yahoo.com

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Please forward your recommendation.
My family and I are starting june 17th.
Thank you offering to share.
Russ

Please forward your recommendation.
My family and I are starting june 17th.
Thank you offering to share.
Russ
Please send me your email by Private message so that I can attach the document. Sorry for the delay - I have been away. Joanne

Hi Joanne - if you still have the spreadsheet I would greatly appreciate a copy. I am beginning in late Sept. my email is layup5300@aol.com
Thanks much!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

Notices an error

Many thanks

Guy
Excellent work and thanks! I'd add El Palo de Avellano in Zubiri. I sure hope they belong on the list because I'm booked there!

Hi Joanne, yes please do forward your info! abbamills@gmail.com Thank you!

Hi Joanne

Please email me your accommodation list

Many thanks
Stephen

Hi Joanne

Please email me your accommodation list

Many thanks
Stephen
Hi Stephen Please send me your email address in a personal message so I can attach the list. Thanks Joanne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Joanne, if you still have the file, could you send it to takee4@sbcglobal.net Thanks!

I'd advise against people posting their email addresses in an open post as there are robots trawling for info like that and you will get death by junk mail (unless you really do need a loan to buy viagra in bulk to use as collateral to facilitate a Nigerian Prince's inheritance money transfer via your bank account). I'd use a pm instead. Just saying.

Can someone with the list try to post it so everyone does not have to reply with an e-mail address?
I have managed with my limited skills to add the file. Please note that all the information is now a couple of years old, and there are sure to be other options and some may no longer be available. I hope this is of use. Joanne

Attachments

• Camino Accommodation options 2014.pdf
    635.6 KB · Views: 16

Line 118 - Pamplona Apartamentos Mirasierra About 1/2 mile from the Camino, but if spending more than 2 days in Pamplona or traveling with family, this place are apartments (1-2 bedrooms), very clean and spacious, great area, plenty supermarkets, pharmacies, and eateries around.

Pamplona apartments Mirasierra closed down a few months ago. When I arrived to Pamplona I tried to book there but it was no possible so I booked at Gestión de Alojamientos Apartments and we were in an apartment with 2 bedrooms and every facilities close to the Camino. It was great!

Nikka

For those who might not be aware, the original post is over 7 years old.

Very good point as I have not maintained the information over the years. With the advent of various phone apps these would be much more current information sources for planning purposes.

Guy

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back