• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances and Finisterre Map /Application

Time of past OR future Camino
Going for Camino walk this Nov.
Hello... I am starting my Camiño Frances journey this Sat. I am on solo self guided trip. What application should I download and where can I buy the map? Thanks.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi shinta_narulita!
Not walked the Frances yet but I used Wise Pilgrim app on my Portuguese last year and will use it on my Frances next year Wise Pilgrim has an app for each of the main Caminos. (found it very straightforward and easy to use)
Get it from Google play store or the Appstore has maps and Gps tracking also accommodation links and reviews, whatsapp links where available and notes on guidance along the way another good one is Buen Camino app. (i have both on my phone and tab)
If your leaving fromm SJPP i believe the Pilgrim office gives you info and a basic map of the route for free.
(I am sure others who have walked the Frances will give you a definite answer to this)
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

The mapy.cz works on all platforms, the Windows desktop version is particularly good, but the smartphone versions are fine, and it is 100% free, including the offline maps and most Camino routes are marked on the map, plus most dirt roads in case you want to use a shortcut.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Others above have mentioned the Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps, which seem to be the most commonly recommended. Both come with map functions. For a while, Camino Ninja was giving them some good competition but sadly the person behind the app passed away and it seems to be discontinued. I use all of those, and also used Camino Pilgrim. They are inexpensive enough and I have enough room on my phone so that it isn't an issue. Then I can check them against each other.

Some like to use another mapping app and download the Camino routes to import into those apps. There are several sources for the Camino Routes to download including the Centro Nacional de Información Geográfica (CNIG): http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/loadCamSan.do# and a Dutch site run by camino enthusiasts. I like to import those routes into a Google map and add markers for recommended albergues, bars, restaurants, etc.

I also like to also carry Kindle copies of some guidebooks on my phone. The Brierley guides do not seem to be available in this format, but the abbreviated map books with maps and albergue listings are. The Village to Village guides and the Moon guide by Beebe Bahrani are available as e-books. The maps in these e-books aren't interactive like the apps, though. More importantly, The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook by Gitlitz and Davidson is available as an e-book. It's information isn't in the other guides or apps.

Finally, there are some websites that can be useful for a self-guided trip. Gronze.com is probably the most frequently recommended of these. It is entirely in Spanish but your browser may translate it for you (my Chrome browser does).

While I initially resisted to download any more apps on my phone at the end Buen Camino proved to be a God-sent addition that made my life much easier (esp. leaving a given albergue in wee-hours of dawn and making sure you are indeed on the right track... just follow the yellow-colored road :))

When I was done with CF it was very easy and effortlessly to change to Camino Finisterre

The app does allow you to create your own stages and gives plenty of info of some side-things to see and do
Good Luck

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello... I am starting my Camiño Frances journey this Sat. I am on solo self guided trip. What application should I download and where can I buy the map? Thanks.
While I did not use any apps, lots of my fellow pilgrims used Buen Camino and Camino Ninja. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back