• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances April 2016

Cath Webber

Time of past OR future Camino
My plan is to walk the Camino de Santiago from the start to the finish in April 2016. I will be walking with a friend who is French and myself I am from Brisbane in Australia!
Hello all, my name is Cath and I live in Brisbane Australia.....I have decided to walk the Camino this time next year, Im already very very excited, nervous but excited, in fact it has given me a new focus in my life. I have always enjoyed walking my dogs and have a reasonable level of fitness. I guess I would be interested to know how everyone began their preparation physically for it, as I have 12 months to prepare, thankyou in advance and I really look forward to being part of this forum xx

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Read the forum, read the forum. Ask any question you want, repeat. Most would say decide on sock choice then get oversized comfortable boots. Walk, walk, walk. Decide on smaller bag than you first feel appropriate. Try it for comfort. Walk, walk, walk this time with bag, building up weight carried slowly. Try not to over plan or over buy. When contemplating a purchase hesitate and reconsider. Never buy on impulse. Remember one thing - you will either before or soon into your walk discard something you thought essential. Enjoy our company - it's a great way to get fears any settle them before your off. We are a companionable bunch and a true flavour of what you will find on your Camino. Best of luck Cath.

Read the forum, read the forum. Ask any question you want, repeat. Most would say decide on sock choice then get oversized comfortable boots. Walk, walk, walk. Decide on smaller bag than you first feel appropriate. Try it for comfort. Walk, walk, walk this time with bag, building up weight carried slowly. Try not to over plan or over buy. When contemplating a purchase hesitate and reconsider. Never buy on impulse. Remember one thing - you will either before or soon into your walk discard something you thought essential. Enjoy our company - it's a great way to get fears any settle them before your off. We are a companionable bunch and a true flavour of what you will find on your Camino. Best of luck Cath.
Thanks for the response Al the Optimist, I think Ive already decided on my sock choice lol, being Australian it would have to be Merino......

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Cath
I'm from Gold Coast and on Camino now. Great time of year to choose as you'll enjoy the cooler climes. Good luck with training as you can walk shorter days and build up your stamina.
I just took 6 days to get from my start in Leon to Ponferrada and now feel ready for some longer days.
The forum is great for advice especially packing lists etc
Good luck

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Cath
I'm from Gold Coast and on Camino now. Great time of year to choose as you'll enjoy the cooler climes. Good luck with training as you can walk shorter days and build up your stamina.
I just took 6 days to get from my start in Leon to Ponferrada and now feel ready for some longer days.
The forum is great for advice especially packing lists etc
Good luck
Awesome thanks frasert, best of luck on your way, 12 months to prepare surely it cant be that hard lol

Hi Cath,
How is the training going?
I am just starting out on my Camino adventure, due for retirement end of October and my plan is to get myself (feet) in a fit enough state by April 2016 to do the Camino.
Read all the forums, researched equipment, socks, decided merino was best. Started in July walking every morning, now up to 8 km with a 1/2 pack on the the back.
Got training all through the British winter to look forward to. If I can manage that then a stroll in Spain in the April sunshine will be well worth it.
Seems the golden rule is pack light and ask the question "do I really need xyz.......".
So best of luck and keep smiling that seems to help a lot, you never know you may overtake me on one of those April days..........lol

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all, my name is Cath and I live in Brisbane Australia.....I have decided to walk the Camino this time next year, Im already very very excited, nervous but excited, in fact it has given me a new focus in my life. I have always enjoyed walking my dogs and have a reasonable level of fitness. I guess I would be interested to know how everyone began their preparation physically for it, as I have 12 months to prepare, thankyou in advance and I really look forward to being part of this forum xx
Hi Cath, welcome to this wonderful forum family. What ever you want to know you can ask here. It is a great time off the year to walk the Camino, according to my wife and a lot of other pilgrims.
Wish you happy planning /training for the coming year.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi Cath,
How is the training going?
I am just starting out on my Camino adventure, due for retirement end of October and my plan is to get myself (feet) in a fit enough state by April 2016 to do the Camino.
Read all the forums, researched equipment, socks, decided merino was best. Started in July walking every morning, now up to 8 km with a 1/2 pack on the the back.
Got training all through the British winter to look forward to. If I can manage that then a stroll in Spain in the April sunshine will be well worth it.
Seems the golden rule is pack light and ask the question "do I really need xyz.......".
So best of luck and keep smiling that seems to help a lot, you never know you may overtake me on one of those April days..........lol
Hi Stephen , you plan to walk in the same period as I this year. I had great weather along my journey, but that is no garantee for next year. Wish you happy planning and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Stephen, my training had been going great guns until I got an awful flu and ended up in hospital. I have yet to make my miraculous comeback but me thinks it could be this weekend!!! Wish me well lol

Hi Stephen, my training had been going great guns until I got an awful flu and ended up in hospital. I have yet to make my miraculous comeback but me thinks it could be this weekend!!! Wish me well lol
The longer I leave it the less time I will have as the I start walking at the end of April regardless of how fit or unfit I am!!

The longer I leave it the less time I will have as the I start walking at the end of April regardless of how fit or unfit I am!!

It is worth getting fit but sometimes it does not happen, for all sorts of reasons. Just regard the first two weeks as "training" and walk accordingly. I do.

Hi Cath, just checking how you are and how the training is going.......still on for April 2016....... Buen camino..

I will be thre on April 21 2016
Howdy Cath, I and friend Craig will be going "walk about" on the French Way a few days before you. Maybe our paths will cross. Like Al said, keep reading this forum. It keeps you up to date on everything Camino. Look for 2 old yanks going slow and having way to much fun while sober. I'll buy you a cold one. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Cath: My Girlfriend and I are walking in earlier April being in our 60s we will and want to spend time enjoying the walk. We may cross paths. We met up with local group of folks that have walked or are going to walk the Comino. There may be one in your area. We found them on a website "American Pilgrims on the Comino" there could be an Australian version of that near you? We went our Meeting Saturday and found it to be a worthwhile group of people.

Respectfully
Angelhart

Hi Cath, I am planning to make my second attempt at completing the Camino Frances in April 2016. My first walk, starting April 8, 2015 was punctuated by a serious stomach bug! I was hoping to start in March next time however I see that the Route Napoleon will not open until April 1st and I wouldn't want to miss that challenge. Brisbane is also my home town. I'd be glad to help if you have any questions. Buen Camino!

Hi all, my wife and I are planning to start from Leon on Sunday, 17 April 2016 after a few days in Madrid. Looking forward to putting into practice many of the tips gleaned from this forum.
Cheers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As for training, we are both reasonably fit. We are also lucky to have the Gatineau hills and trails close by and so we have been walking every weekend, gradually increasing our distance and weight carried as I learned to do when training for forced marches while still in the Army. After reading some entries on this forum, we also be intend to do some work on our cores and backs. We hope to walk 3-4 days a week starting in the new year but will need to be mindful not to overtrain and injure ourselves or slip and fall in the snow ....for me, what has always worked as been a gradual build up combined with listening to what my body tells me as well learning the difference between pain and being sore. I wish you all a buen camino.

Hi Cath, just checking how you are and how the training is going.......still on for April 2016....... Buen camino..
Hi Stephen, Yes my training is going slowly but is going, seem to have had one thing after another with illness this year which has made it difficult but like I said before I am now meeting my French friend in Paris in April and from there we will be heading south to start the camino after visiting her family so its definetely happening!! I am sooooo excited and my fitness is reasonable now so Im sure by then it will be even better :) :) :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Cath, I am planning to make my second attempt at completing the Camino Frances in April 2016. My first walk, starting April 8, 2015 was punctuated by a serious stomach bug! I was hoping to start in March next time however I see that the Route Napoleon will not open until April 1st and I wouldn't want to miss that challenge. Brisbane is also my home town. I'd be glad to help if you have any questions. Buen Camino!
Awesome thank you so much for your reply :) Maybe I will see you on the way Buen Camino :)

Hi Stephen, Yes my training is going slowly but is going, seem to have had one thing after another with illness this year which has made it difficult but like I said before I am now meeting my French friend in Paris in April and from there we will be heading south to start the camino after visiting her family so its definetely happening!! I am sooooo excited and my fitness is reasonable now so Im sure by then it will be even better :) :) :)

Buen Camino Cath! - from another Aussie! You will meet many of us along the Way.

Don't worry too much if your training is going slowly. Best that you recover fully from your illness. Take it easy and, as Kanga says, the first few weeks can be your 'training' - as long as you go within your limits and build up each day.

The pre-Camino excitement is wonderful... keep planning, keep rummaging through this Forum for all and everything and be gentle with yourself.

Buen Camino Cath. Enjoy the planning, it's half the fun. April is a beautiful time to walk the Camino.

BTW, you are in the right place. There are people here who know everything you need to know. (I know, because they have helped me immensely.) Just keep in mind that you will get all sides of an issue; but it's up to you to figure out what suits you best.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Cathy,

I will be walking the Camino for the first time in April 2016. Hope we cross paths. I prepare myself with local hikes which range anywhere from 2 to 6 miles. I plan to build up to 10 miles. I have gradually increased my pack's weight and am now at 5 pounds. Next week I will be adding more. I try to hike at least twice a week and then have a long walk at least once a week. I hope I have planned well. Buen Camino.

Hi Cath, I am another Aussie (Perth) heading to SJPdP in April - I'm also another Cath! Went to my travel agent yesterday and have flight on hold for 11 April arriving St Jean on the 13th (Perth/Paris/Biarritz/St Jean). I'm pretty certain this is when I will travel, just giving it some thought over the next day or so. Once it's booked then I'm totally committed. I also started planning my Camino around April of this year (although I have thought about it for eight years) and have thoroughly enjoyed the reading/planning thus far, now it's only six months to go. Family and friends glaze over a little when the word Camino is mentioned! I will be travelling alone so it will be nice to know (having read this thread) that there will be many others out there at the same time. I am doing regular walks 10-20km, sometimes with my pack (6kg) and sometimes without, I also have been doing Pilates for about 15 years which I love and am back in the pool now the weather is nice so hopefully will be prepared. I am going to get a Forum Member Badge for my backpack so look out for it. Like you, I am super-excited, hope to see you and your friend out there. Buen Camino

I'm new to this forum and will be beginning my Camino in Late March 2016! I'm so excited to find this site and to see that there are so many people doing it the same time that I am!
Hi Thao, Since you are new to the forum you might not be aware that the Route de Napoleon across the Pyrenees from SJPdP to Roncesvalles will not be open until April 1. There is always the alternative Route Valcarlos if you need to start earlier. Buen Camino.

Hi Thao, Since you are new to the forum you might not be aware that the Route de Napoleon across the Pyrenees from SJPdP to Roncesvalles will not be open until April 1. There is always the alternative Route Valcarlos if you need to start earlier. Buen Camino.

Hey JMac56! Thank you so much for letting me know! I wasn't aware of this and am so glad because I wanted to spend some time in Paris and see the Louvre! This might work out perfectly if the Napoleon route opens exactly on April 1st! :)

Hey JMac56! Thank you so much for letting me know! I wasn't aware of this and am so glad because I wanted to spend some time in Paris and see the Louvre! This might work out perfectly if the Napoleon route opens exactly on April 1st! :)
You're welcome, Thao. I am planning to have Easter in Paris again in 2016 and then start from SJPdP on or around April 1. The Louvre is magnificent, and the Musee d'Orsay is wonderful if you have time. So much to see and do in Paris, and if you walk everywhere it keeps you fit for the Camino. Enjoy! :)

You're welcome, Thao. I am planning to have Easter in Paris again in 2016 and then start from SJPdP on or around April 1. The Louvre is magnificent, and the Musee d'Orsay is wonderful if you have time. So much to see and do in Paris, and if you walk everywhere it keeps you fit for the Camino. Enjoy! :)

I am flying into Paris on Easter Sunday! I think we will be beginning in SJPdP at the same time!

Hi! Another one starting late March. We plan to start either Easter Sunday or Monday after a few days in Madrid. Not doing the whole Camino (not enough vacation days :( ). Haven't quite decided where to start yet or where to end.....we have flexible dates as we are flying out of Barcelona so it just depends. We plan on figuring out where to start with 10 days to Santiago and then the optional 3 on to Muxia.....or take longer to get to Santiago....or spend extra time in Barcelona.....we are leaving it up to whatever we feel like doing. We do have to figure out a start point at some point....we were thinking Leon but that seems WAY to optimistic. 12-15 miles a day seems like it would be perfect for us. Both of us easily walk 10 on Saturday or Sunday now (but that is on flat, paved surfaces with no backpack).....however, we do want time to go off path to see some sights and really feel the Camino versus it be just a race to the finish.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi MauraO, welcome to the forum. I understand your excitement, two days ago I booked my flights and will arrive Biarritz on the 12th April. I will start walking on the 14th. I hope you enjoy every step!

DeadFred has offered to add April/May/June walkers to the Camino Calendar in the 'Class of 2016' thread if you are interested.

Last edited:
Hi Cath,
I strongly recommend not to just concentrate on your body. Don't forget your mind.
The closer I got to the start of my Camino in May this year, the more nervous I got when reading blogs, internet forums, articles...
Everybody has tips and hints, dos an don'ts, take this, you need that...
I'd recommend to stop this some weeks before leaving. Calm down, relax, concentrate on yourself.
What I love about the Camino is that you can't plan anything but maybe the first two days until you reach Roncesvalles. Beyond that point it's open space.
There's not much that you really need and not much that you have to take care of. Just your feet, food and bed. Period.
Don't let anyone force you to do something you don't want or that's not healthy for you.
Listen to your body and listen to your mind.

This will be your very own Camino and you are the most important person on the trail. Listen carefully what others say but don't believe everything. Each experience is subjectiv and personal. If it happened to someone doesn't necessarily mean the same for you.

But never underestimate the Camino. It's not a difficult trail but although I didn't start completely untrained I ended up with a tendinitis after ten days. It took a lot of Voltaren to get to Santiago. Next time I'll be smarter.

I'll start next year in April as well, but no fixed date yet. Maybe we'll meet.

Buen Camino.

Then we will probably cross paths somewhere. Are you on DeadFred's April/May/June list?

I've just been reading another thread in which people are complaining about albergues being cold and unheated.

Be prepared those of you walking in early April. I have walked then and it was freezing on some days, with bitter cold wind and rain. Have good equipment and assume the worst. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Hi I will also be walking the Camino (Frances) from start to finish in April 2016 (haven´t decided yet if I start the 1st or the 10th). I hope to get some tips here, things to think about and if I get in touch with people walking during the same time it would be great!

Last edited:
Hi I will also be walking the Camino (Frances) from start to finish in April 2016 (haven´t decided yet if I start the 1st or the 10th). I hope to get some tips here, things to think about and if I get in touch with people walking during the same time it would be great!

Hola Johanna, I am planning to start around the same time as you. If you hunt around this forum you will find a wealth of information on any topic you can imagine, and many other people who will be on the CF at that time. Buen Camino.

Hi all, I booked my flight into Madrid April 24, 2016 through til June 3rd planning to walk the Camino Frances through to Finnestere, God Willing and my 63 year old body cooperates. I look forward to walking alongside you all- inspirit and as we meet and say goodbye. Thank you for being along the Way.

Go the first week of April just prepare for rain. Each year is different so pack warm. Prepare for warm weather as well. It is a rollercoster as you never know what you will get but it is a nice amount of Pilgrims. The plants are very green. The workers are fresh along the way. Very positive time along the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all, I booked my flight into Madrid April 24, 2016 through til June 3rd planning to walk the Camino Frances through to Finnestere, God Willing and my 63 year old body cooperates. I look forward to walking alongside you all- inspirit and as we meet and say goodbye. Thank you for being along the Way.
Very worth the extra days to Finnesterre. Very powerful amazing way to end. You will not regret it.
Keith

Go the first week of April just prepare for rain. Each year is different so pack warm. Prepare for warm weather as well. It is a rollercoster as you never know what you will get but it is a nice amount of Pilgrims. The plants are very green. The workers are fresh along the way. Very positive time along the Camino.
Thanks for the info, will try my best to keep the weight down while packing for all kinds of weather and temperatures =)

Have just booked my flight on the weekend to Paris from Brisbane (just before the awful terrorist attacks) so we should be on our way easily by April 20 :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Cath, I am another Aussie (Perth) heading to SJPdP in April - I'm also another Cath! Went to my travel agent yesterday and have flight on hold for 11 April arriving St Jean on the 13th (Perth/Paris/Biarritz/St Jean). I'm pretty certain this is when I will travel, just giving it some thought over the next day or so. Once it's booked then I'm totally committed. I also started planning my Camino around April of this year (although I have thought about it for eight years) and have thoroughly enjoyed the reading/planning thus far, now it's only six months to go. Family and friends glaze over a little when the word Camino is mentioned! I will be travelling alone so it will be nice to know (having read this thread) that there will be many others out there at the same time. I am doing regular walks 10-20km, sometimes with my pack (6kg) and sometimes without, I also have been doing Pilates for about 15 years which I love and am back in the pool now the weather is nice so hopefully will be prepared. I am going to get a Forum Member Badge for my backpack so look out for it. Like you, I am super-excited, hope to see you and your friend out there. Buen Camino
Wonderful to hear from you, I too have booked my flight from Brisbane to Paris on 11 April however I will be spending a week with my French friend travelling down to SJPDP so probably wont start walking till sometime around the 23rd April, I am so excited now I have booked my flight, it seems so real. Haha I totally agree with you that when you mention the word Camino to friends and family their eyes glaze over, very funny and so sick of hearing me talk about it. I might have to get a forum member badge as well, anyway BUEN CAMINO and chat soon

Hi Cath,
I strongly recommend not to just concentrate on your body. Don't forget your mind.
The closer I got to the start of my Camino in May this year, the more nervous I got when reading blogs, internet forums, articles...
I'd recommend to stop this some weeks before leaving. Calm down, relax, concentrate on yourself.
What I love about the Camino is that you can't plan anything but maybe the first two days until you reach Roncesvalles. Beyond that point it's open space.
There's not much that you really need and not much that you have to take care of. Just your feet, food and bed. Period.
Don't let anyone force you to do something you don't want or that's not healthy for you.

This will be your very own Camino and you are the most important person on the trail. Listen carefully what others say but don't believe everything. Each experience is subjectiv and personal. If it happened to someone doesn't necessarily mean the same for you.

But never underestimate the Camino. It's not a difficult trail but although I didn't start completely untrained I ended up with a tendinitis after ten days. It took a lot of Voltaren to get to Santiago. Next time I'll be smarter.

I'll start next year in April as well, but no fixed date yet. Maybe we'll meet.

Buen Camino.

Such wonderful advice, thank you :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you for this advice :) So glad to see so many people starting around the same time. I'll begin in SJPP on April 5! I can't believe this actually happening :)

Wonderful to hear from you, I too have booked my flight from Brisbane to Paris on 11 April however I will be spending a week with my French friend travelling down to SJPDP so probably wont start walking till sometime around the 23rd April, I am so excited now I have booked my flight, it seems so real. Haha I totally agree with you that when you mention the word Camino to friends and family their eyes glaze over, very funny and so sick of hearing me talk about it. I might have to get a forum member badge as well, anyway BUEN CAMINO and chat soon
Hi Cath - my sister Jenny and I will be starting the Camino from St Jean on the 15 April. Might see you there.

It sounds like there are going to be many of us on the Camino from Down Under in April. We are coming from New Zealand and flying through Paris as well, but not arriving there until the 12 April. We aim to be on the Camino by the 15 April to be able to make all our connections and be at a wedding in Poland at the end of May. Very excited and loving the training.

Hi Cath - my sister Jenny and I will be starting the Camino from St Jean on the 15 April. Might see you there.
I'll be one day ahead of you, starting on the 14th. Every chance we could cross paths. Buen Camino

I will be thre on April 21 2016
We will be starting the Camino in Sarria on April 16th. We will see a lot of you at some point.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Cath,
My friend Monique & I have booked flights from Perth to Paris 30 Mar 16. Planning on starting the Camino on the 02 Apr.
Hi Rhonda, I'm another one from Perth, starting my walk on April 14. Have you been to any of the Western Australian meetings at King's Park?

Cathy

Hi Rhonda, I'm another one from Perth, starting my walk on April 14. Have you been to any of the Western Australian meetings at King's Park?

Cathy
Hi Cathy, yes I have been going to them for about 3 years. Missed a few this year but was at the November meeting. Will try & make the last 2 before I go. I fly out of Perth on 30 March.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would be interested to know how everyone began their preparation physically

My first walk was about 4 km down a gentle hill into my city centre. It took about an hour. My feet hurt something terrible. But the advice in many of the posts here is sound. Just keep at it. You may find it helpful to keep a log to show your progress: but only if it helps you.

How is your equipment testing going? Are all your clothes quick drying? Somewhere in the forum I've seen a very simple packing list, all aimed at carrying as little as possible.

It is worth getting fit but sometimes it does not happen, for all sorts of reasons. Just regard the first two weeks as "training" and walk accordingly. I do.

Kanga has great insights. In effect this can mean not to worry about what the guide books say is a normal distance for any given day. And if your walking partner is more or less fit than you you may need to agree to go at your own pace and the front walker stops after 60 minutes (or whatever) until fitness levels get into sync.

MikePeregrino also has good advice.

And I need to heed his advice as I will leave home in a little over two months and still have a lot of preparation to complete.

As they say this side of the ditch: Kia Kaha (be strong). Enjoy

Those of you who are also starting the Camino in April, are you expecting/planning to cross the Pyrenees? I read the Route Napoleon is closed from November to the end of March. Just wondering if it might be open in the beginning of April. :)

Hi Cath! I'm new to the forum (been reading it for months for finally joined). My boyfriend, Alex, and I will be starting the Camino around April 1, 2016 and are hopeful to hike all the way to the Finisterre. We're coming from Colorado and will have until the first week in May before we return-- I'm a wedding planner and will have to be back by May....the start of wedding season in Colorado. :) What date in April do you plan to start? Hope to meet you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Cath,
My friend Monique & I have booked flights from Perth to Paris 30 Mar 16. Planning on starting the Camino on the 02 Apr.

Hi Rhonda,

We'll have to look out for you and Monique! My boyfriend Alex and I will be starting March 31st or April 1st. We'll be flying into Paris as well and taking the train to SJPDP.

Those of you who are also starting the Camino in April, are you expecting/planning to cross the Pyrenees? I read the Route Napoleon is closed from November to the end of March. Just wondering if it might be open in the beginning of April. :)
Hi Nanumea. The Route de Napoleon will "officially" be open from April 1, however best to check on weather conditions before heading out from St Jean. Plenty of stories on this forum about the route being impassable in April. Buen Camino.

Hi Cathy, yes I have been going to them for about 3 years. Missed a few this year but was at the November meeting. Will try & make the last 2 before I go. I fly out of Perth on 30 March.
I'm hoping to get to the next couple too so I'll se you there :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Rhonda,

We'll have to look out for you and Monique! My boyfriend Alex and I will be starting March 31st or April 1st. We'll be flying into Paris as well and taking the train to SJPDP.
Which site did you use booking the train? I will arrive to Paris CDG and hoping to take a train from there but need some advise on how to get to SJPP

The easiest route is TGV Paris to Biarritz then bus to Airport and Get Express Bouricot? private hire bus to SJDP.18Euros if you book when the bus is full.You'll find info on this forum.Route Napoleon in mid April this year was fine.A little snow on the ground and coldish wind but nothing serious.

If you wish to book TGV don't use French SNCF website.Took me 6 months to get my refund for cancellation of a journey due to strike.Their UK site refunded me before I even new there was a strike.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Which site did you use booking the train? I will arrive to Paris CDG and hoping to take a train from there but need some advise on how to get to SJPP
Haven't booked yet, but have been looking at Eurorail & also Sta Travel. I think bookings have only just opened for April.

Haven't booked yet, but have been looking at Eurorail & also Sta Travel. I think bookings have only just opened for April.

It´s open now! I booked a flight to Paris (CDG april 1st) and from the airport I take a train to Bayonne and then from Bayonne to SJPP, hopefully I will arrive around 19.30, register my credencial and start walking the next morning =)

Hello Cath,
I am flying out on 2 April to start the Camino. I am flying into Biarritz and then going from there.
I have a flight back home on 13 May so hope to run into you sometime along the way.

Eric

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Eric,
I leave Oz on April 11 and fly into Paris and spend some time in France before starting my walk, hopefully some time toward the end of April this will be, you never know we may cross paths :)

Hi Eric,
I leave Oz on April 11 and fly into Paris and spend some time in France before starting my walk, hopefully some time toward the end of April this will be, you never know we may cross paths :)
Hi Cath

You will be a day ahead of us to Paris - we leave Auckland on the 12 and spend just one night in Paris before catching a train to Bayonne. We will look out for you on the way. Buen camino

Hello yes I am meeting a friend in Paris who is French so having a few days with her which Im really looking forward to, then heading south by train to stay with her family before starting, may see you on the way...Buen Camino :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I fly into Bordeaux 5th April start from SJPDP on the 6th. See ya on the trail.

Buen Camino

It´s open now! I booked a flight to Paris (CDG april 1st) and from the airport I take a train to Bayonne and then from Bayonne to SJPP, hopefully I will arrive around 19.30, register my credencial and start walking the next morning =)
We booked our tickets the other day. We will be catching the 7.28am TGV from Paris to Bayonne, arrive at 12.39pm & have organised to be picked up at 1pm by the Express Bourricot. Where are you staying in SJPP? We intend on starting to walk on the 2nd so we may see you. :)

We booked our tickets the other day. We will be catching the 7.28am TGV from Paris to Bayonne, arrive at 12.39pm & have organised to be picked up at 1pm by the Express Bourricot. Where are you staying in SJPP? We intend on starting to walk on the 2nd so we may see you. :)
Great! I haven´t booked a place to stay in SJPP, have you? I figure I´ll find a place when I get there. What´s express Bouricot? I´m planning on taking the bus/train from Bayonne to SJPP but maybe your option is a better one

Great! I haven´t booked a place to stay in SJPP, have you? I figure I´ll find a place when I get there. What´s express Bouricot? I´m planning on taking the bus/train from Bayonne to SJPP but maybe your option is a better one
The train from Bayonne is easy - and cheap. And I don't think finding a place in SJPP will be a problem in April! I will arrive on the 17th - maybe I will see you there?

The train from Bayonne is easy - and cheap. And I don't think finding a place in SJPP will be a problem in April! I will arrive on the 17th - maybe I will see you there?
Yes =) I´ll probably see you there!!

€46,-
Hi Cath and everyone, we arrive sjdp on the 23rd April and start walking on the 24th. If you see 4 English guys with average age of 60 lounging around in bars and talking nonsense then you have found us. This is my 3rd time on the camino but the first full distance. Enjoy the experience and have a great camino. Look forward to seeing you on the trail.
Mark

I've booked to stay at Beilari in SJPD. http://www.expressbourricot.com/ Is a taxi service, you can travel alone or they will group together people who are travelling at the same time.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back